Tell me more about the Solarium?

MimiDo

It's been a while since I sailed on RCCL -- could someone tell me more about the Solarium?

It looks like it's NOT like Princess's The Sanctuary -- meaning there's no additional fee. Right? Does that mean it's crowded and hard to find a lounge chair? I know it's "adults only." Is it quieter than the main pool area -- ie. no blasting rock music? Is it covered?

Thanks in advance!

No additional fee, and "adults" only, which I think actually translates to 16 and above. It isn't necessarily crowded, but it's usually full. Getting a lounger can be problematic, but there won't be screaming kids. On Liberty, it's "partially covered"; it's open above, but seems more sheltered, and large areas are under cover.

It's been a while since I sailed on RCCL -- could someone tell me more about the Solarium?

It looks like it's NOT like Princess's The Sanctuary -- meaning there's no additional fee. Right? Does that mean it's crowded and hard to find a lounge chair? I know it's "adults only." Is it quieter than the main pool area -- ie. no blasting rock music? Is it covered?

Thanks in advance!

No additional fee. Age 16 and over. Quieter. Voyager/Freedom class are open, others are covered. It gets crowded, especially on sea days.

I like the solarium on Liberty because it is pretty and uncovered. It's the perfect place to relax. But get out there early, it fills up quickly on sea days.

Agreed - because on Freedom class it's uncovered and has padded loungers, it's prime sunning territory. Loungers in the sun go very early. We've found that deck patrol is pretty good about asking those under 16 to move along so it is "adults only". Pool isn't huge so it can be crowded but only with folks bobbing around cooling off...no splashing or pool games. Enjoy!

Is it wrong that I know those are shots from the Solarium on the Jewel? I was just there four months ago.

Jewel is one of the indoor Solariums. It was very quiet on my cruise - I think the busiest day there were 10 people in the pool at once.

EDIT: correction, that is not the Jewel. Same class of ship though. Looks so close that it fooled me.

Edited by Rewind

Solarium is age 16 and above, but on voyager and freedom class ships (maybe others too) kids will still go through it to get from the front elevator to the pool, and also some of the deck 11 restrooms are just inside the solarium. Plus, you can see into the solarium from deck 12. So, it is not "adult" in the way Carnival used to have the adult area. Looks like you are on the Liberty of the Seas -- a freedom class ship. These have cantilevered hot tubs in the solarium. Here's a youtube video (not mine) for the Freedom of the Seas, but yours will be similar:

Often I stay on the ship at ports-of-call. This is a great time to relax in the solarium for me. The loungers are much more comfortable than the standard pool loungers.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Is it wrong that I know those are shots from the Solarium on the Jewel? I was just there four months ago.

Jewel is one of the indoor Solariums. It was very quiet on my cruise - I think the busiest day there were 10 people in the pool at once.

EDIT: correction, that is not the Jewel. Same class of ship though. Looks so close that it fooled me.

It is almost identical to the Serenade also

Ships in the same class; Voyager, Radiance, Freedom, etc are build to resemble each other.

Edited by lady_cruiser

As a note, it is my understanding (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :rolleyes:) on a cold destination cruise with an enclosed Solarium they do open it up to family swim times.

In cooler or inclement weather the solarium on Radiance class ships are open to families for a limited number of hours (usually two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon). (The same policy may be in effect on Vision class ships as well.) In my experience this has worked extremely well and families have been quite diligent in adhering to the policy.

Very close... :)

Those were definitely taken on Serenade... Radiance and Brilliance have 3 elephants on the wall behind the pool... Serenade and Jewel both have two, but Jewel has a decorative pagoda between the two elephants.

Can you tell we've spent a lot of time in the Solarium on Radiance Class ships? I will say that we enjoyed them a LOT more prior to adding the Park Cafe there... the atmosphere has totally changed since that addition.

Thanks to EVERYONE here for the photos, videos, and all the information. Given that it was 4 degrees below zero where I live this morning, the Solarium looks pretty good!

I live in SoCal where it has been in the high 70's and 80's all month and these shots of the Solarium STILL look fantastic!!!!

Can't wait to see the 'new' Navigator in four months!

MTG