Back from Carnival Conquest 7/11/2005 - Any questions?

modnar

We returned home from the 7/11/2005 sailing of the Carnival Conquest (was origianlly scheduled to depart on 7/10) earlier today. We had a great time! This was our third cruise, and our second in a row on the Conquest. This was the best yet.

I'll write a full review in the next couple of days. Does anyone have any questions?

Which deck were you on? I know it depends on the "motion of the ocean" :eek: but did you notice the ship's movement a lot when you were on the lido. I realize there was a hurricane out there while you were there, my parents cabin will be on the lido and just want to get an idea for them. It's their first cruise and I don't think it will bother them at all since they lived on a house boat for a year or so, but the Mississippi is not the Ocean :)

Thanks and I am glad you had a great time and can't wait for your review! Let us know when you post it.

We stayed on the Verandah deck. We didn't notice a whole lot of movement most of the time. I noticed it periodically, but nothing too bad. When the ship is going up and down the Mississippi River you notice it quite a bit as it makes the turns on the river. We also noticed some movement just after leaving and just before entering the river. All in all, we didn't notice the movement too much anywhere on the ship. The most movement we felt was on the last night in the Monet (aft) dining room, which was around the time the ship entered the Mississippi River.

I stayed on the lido about five rooms from the front and we thought it was an ideal location. I noticed little to no motion while in my cabin.

It was very quiet unless my very rude neighbors, who got up very early every morning, slammed their doors and talked loudly in the hallways. We got to the point where we started intentionally slamming our doors late at night to return the favor.

There is a very nice deck out the very front of the lide deck hallwalls. It is a great place to stand while pulling into or out of port. It is very windy out there while underway.

Since the lido is so popular, one never has to wait long for an elevator.

modnar,

glad you returned and had a great time. We leave on the Conquest this Sunday, (5 days 19'ish hours:D) and I have eagerly awaited current reviews. I guess because I am so excited to see that you didnt have rough weather (we are on the panorama deck and just a little worried about a combo of rough weather and deck 10), any way, I am too excited to think about my Q's. Many will arrise between now and your review. I am confident of that.

There is a very nice deck out the very front of the lide deck hallwalls. It is a great place to stand while pulling into or out of port. It is very windy out there while underway.

Since the lido is so popular, one never has to wait long for an elevator.

My parents will actually be staying in one of the rooms in the very front of the ship (9203 I think) I posted before asking about this because I didn't realize when they booked it was an "obstructed" view room. But I thnk they are going to be very happy with it and I am sure they will have a great time.

OK, just thought of two.

1. what time did you get at the terminal? On the ship? Etc.

2. What time was the muster drill? We are trying to set up a time for our new CC group, the "meet the flockers" group to meet up with each other. Some coming to the pier early, some flying in that day. Was thinking that maybe we could meet about 1 hour prior to the drill.

Thanks, probably will think of more later!

You may not want to go by the time this group made it to the pier - since they left on a totally different timeframe - being delayed a day. If you get to the pier around 11- 11:30 you should be good. You'll be on in about an hour or less.

We are on the week after you and we have a large group meeting at 4 by the Sky Pool in the back. There is a pool side bar there and that is where the pizza is - so the kids will have something to keep them occupied. We are also meeting the next day - at 10:30 I think - same place - for those who don't make it the first day. I think muster is at 5 or 5:30 - can't remember.

For the OP - did you notice if the spas were still out of service (I suspect they will be out until after drydock)? What about in the spa itself?

sea u onboard,

thanks, i forgot they left with a special departure. The place we chose is the same place you chose - around the pizza place for those that have kids, like I do. Originally, we were going to make the meet n great earlier, but I think it needs to be later and 4'ish was the time I was thinking as long as it wasn't too close to the muster drill. According to what you said, 4 would be great. I never did think of making up a second time for a meeting for any who did not show up and may suggest this. Thanks!;)

Most of us are wearing something with flamingos, which is our way to recognize the others. I feel sorry for any passenger that knows nothing about Cruise Critic and wears anything with flamingos on it, he / she could get up to 10 or more people thinking they are part of the "flamingo flockers" ;)

Yes, the jacuzzis were all out of service all week (and I'm pretty sure that includes the one in the gym/spa). Every day in the Capers, there was a message saying the jacuzzis were closed that day due to a "technical upgrade."

I don't think we've ever used a jacuzzi on a cruise, so it didn't bother us, but I could see how that would annoy someone who had looked forward to soaking in a jacuzzi.

I was on Carnival Valor on July 10, 2005 and I caught up to Carnival Conquest in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We talked to a couple from Carnival Conquest in Grand Cayman and they said they left out of Lousisana and they missed their first port which was Jamaica. They said Carnival gave them a 15% discount on their next cruise but that's it. The Carnival Conquest left at 3:30 and it was like 3:15 in the bus. Our cruise ship left at 5:00 and we thought that we were cutting it close. anyway, i just wantted to say that i caught up to some people on the conquest and they explained to us what happened. i left out of miami and we were not delayed.

We also just returned from the Conquest 7/11 cruise. We were on Lido Deck (#9270). It was never noisy in our area and no movement at all except making turns in the river. We were across from the laundromat and that wasn't really bad either. We didn't know Emily was behind us until we noticed something on CNN on the last night. We had great weather the whole trip. We were supposed to leave at 2:00 on Monday but left closer to 4:00 I think. On normal sailings the lifeboat drill is usually 5:15 or so. We had a great time (brought our granddaughter on her first cruise) and we're already looking forward to sailing the Conquest again in Nov. We are getting 15% of our cruise price refunded because of the missed day and port. They also gave us a $50.00 per person credit on board.

We are on the back of the ship-Verandah deck-under the food area- is that going to be a problem with noise? Also, getting off ship- are they still doing it where everyone just gets off whenever they want- we have a noon flight and had planned to get VIP departure tags. Thanks

The Conquest is doing an open disembarkation. They let the VIP tags off first, wait awhile and then let everyone else off at their leisure. They periodically make announcements regarding lengthy lines, etc. Our last two cruises (May & July 2005) we have waited until about 10:00 - 10:15 and it's been a breeze getting off. Being locals we have the luxury of taking our time and waiting. If you have a flight before noon they will issue you VIP tags. You have to show them proof of your flight the day before.

Tendering in Grand Cayman is relatively painless. If you have an early tour through the ship's excursion desk you will need to be in the main lounge early, depending on your tour departure time. If you do not have a tour or have an afternoon tour you need to get tender tickets in the main show lounge. After about 10:00-10:30 a.m. tender tickets aren't usually needed and you can just board the tenders. If you book a tour on your own let them know in the lounge that morning and they will try and accomodate you with early tenders. All of this info will be in the Capers the night before as well as constant announcements in the morning.

We were on the Conquest last week as well and noticed almost no motion at all (main deck, forward). There was the tiniest bit of roll once or twice but other than that, the most we felt was an occasional 'wiggle'. The engine was a bit loud the final night in the dining room but I actually missed the feeling of the waves at night.

It was a great cruise. :)

Cheers,

Friday

I am somewhat new to this board. We are cruising on the Conquest on 07/31 and I have a 19 yr. old daughter and 21 yr. old son who are going with us. I was wondering if you knew of anyone in your group with kids going about this age. I was thinking that we could meet up with everyone and this would be a great way for the kids especially to meet others thier age right away......Thanks......Oh, also, since this is my first post where does the response show up. How do I know when you do respond? Sorry to sound like a complete dunce!

You will be emailed when someone responds. We have a huge group going on that 7/31 cruise -go over to roll call for Carnival conquest and you can check it all out- cheryl has a page in Yahoo-you can join - ask away over there and Cheryl checks it all the time and her links will be in the bottom of her message- i am taking my 10 and 12 year old-can't remeber if there are any your ages though

You will be emailed when someone responds. We have a huge group going on that 7/31 cruise -go over to roll call for Carnival conquest and you can check it all out- cheryl has a page in Yahoo-you can join - ask away over there and Cheryl checks it all the time and her links will be in the bottom of her message- i am taking my 10 and 12 year old-can't remeber if there are any your ages though
Kathryn - You are on the ball today.

YES - we do have a very BIG CC group forming at our roll call. Just follow the link at the bottom in my signature.

PS - The responses will only go to your email if you have your profile set up that way. Be sure to go into your User CP and be sure you have it set for Instant Notifications.

Archived