Extra Luggage Allowance

JenniC

Has anyone taken advantage of the fact that you can now purchase extra luggage allowance if flying to the Caribbean with Thomsons or Thomas Cook (according to the P&O "Can we help you" ) section?

We are flying with TC on 15th Feb and I would like to do this so I can take snorkelling gear with us, but on another forum someone said it was hard to book as neither P&O or TC know what to do and how to book it :rolleyes:

Any advice very welcome :)

Edited by JenniC

Jenni, I purchased extra on our last cruise (3/1/14). We flew with Thomas Cook and I just rang the number shown on the PO web site and paid by debit card. They sent me an email confirmation immediately to confirm my additional allowance.

I paid less than the advertised rates on the PO website :confused:, I have no idea why, but I didn't argue :)

Jenni, I purchased extra on our last cruise (3/1/14). We flew with Thomas Cook and I just rang the number shown on the PO web site and paid by debit card. They sent me an email confirmation immediately to confirm my additional allowance.

I paid less than the advertised rates on the PO website :confused:, I have no idea why, but I didn't argue :)

That has given me more confidence, thanks for taking the time to reply.:)

We have always managed to stay within the limits. We use two medium size cases and at capacity they come in at just under the 23kg. Add in 2x5kg hand luggage and you should have enough. I took snorkel gear in my luggage.

If you take a suitable anorak then you can put selected heavy items - chargers - in a pocket.

Hi, we are flying out on the 8th Feb I am 'expecting' to be using the extra allowance! I shall let you know on here if I do and how it went, re applying for it etc

Melissa

Thanks Melissa and good luck:o

We have always managed to stay within the limits. We use two medium size cases and at capacity they come in at just under the 23kg. Add in 2x5kg hand luggage and you should have enough. I took snorkel gear in my luggage.

If you take a suitable anorak then you can put selected heavy items - chargers - in a pocket.

Thanks for your reply.. I can never seem to manage to keep within the limit and have done many fly cruises. With all the toiletries I take, plus shoes etc. no way!!! I usually buy all my toiletries airside to get over this but last year they were re-weighing the hand luggage before you boarded the plane :eek: We managed to slip through but do not want to chance it this year. Others have said about coat pockets, but I never wear a coat to the airport and to be honest I just could not be bothered with items in pockets etc.. hence happy to pay for a bit extra and pop it all in the hold, so let's hope it all works out OK - if not back to purchasing airside and fingers crossed :cool:

Jenni,

OMG Did not expect this to be such a pain!! I phoned Tomson Airways on 08712314787 just to enquire about purchasing the excess baggage, selected option 4 was asked for ref number and the only one I have is our P&O one which she wasn't interested in I said it was for a cruise, still no success, so I rang our TA and they said they would phone P&O and phone me back, which they did with all the info I already have.....my husband said try Tomson again so I did and got in before she did stating this was for a cruise and this is the only ref number I have she said that is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So even though cruise is more than 3/5 days away I was able to still book excess @ 10kg return for £70. I now have the e.mail confirmation!! yay.

It is split up as 5kg per person, return and what I am going to do is put the bulky items into a holdall to weigh in at 10kg!

The info they wanted was which airport, flight number and departure times, both way.

Goodluck and patience!

Melissa

You are a star for posting this.. I have done a trial run with Thomas Cook, to see if they knew what I was talking about. The guy I spoke to said as soon as the manifest for the flight is released they could add the extra allowance.. He also said the manifest is released around 7 days before the cruise, so am going to start the process Friday 7th.. and go from there.. I am quite a persistent person so I will get there :eek:

Jenni,

TC told me the same thing about the 7 day manifest list. I tried to book it on the 7th day but failed after holding on forever and talking to several people.

When I couldn't get a result with TC, I rang PO and was told that I couldn't book outside the 3-5 day period (as stated on the PO website). When I rang in the 3-5 day window it was very easy.

My advice is to be patient and follow PO's instructions from their website as the frustration of attempting to get it done early is painful and in my case was unsuccessful.

Jenni,

TC told me the same thing about the 7 day manifest list. I tried to book it on the 7th day but failed after holding on forever and talking to several people.

When I couldn't get a result with TC, I rang PO and was told that I couldn't book outside the 3-5 day period (as stated on the PO website). When I rang in the 3-5 day window it was very easy.

My advice is to be patient and follow PO's instructions from their website as the frustration of attempting to get it done early is painful and in my case was unsuccessful.

OMG more patience required... As if waiting for Cain allocation is not bad enough - lol ;) Thanks for the advice, which I am going to take and will call them 5 days before. Will let you know what happens.

Jenni,

I originally was only phoning to 'enquire' about the extra luggage allowance and when I spoke to tomson the 2nd time they said I could book it then (weirdly like a hard sell saying that if I left it until checkin it would cost more)

It just cracks me up how we have to go from one department to another or that one member of staff can help more than another....

Edited by jymmer

We are flying TC to Azura on March 8th and will have to buy some extra luggage - I have to say that I find it ridiculous they there are 3 dress code on Azura with such as small luggage allowance. I see P&O have scrapped the 3rd code for next season on Azura.

Rant over - do you know if we can pay to up each case from 23 to 28 Kg to avoid taking 3 cases - Thanks

We are flying TC to Azura on March 8th and will have to buy some extra luggage - I have to say that I find it ridiculous they there are 3 dress code on Azura with such as small luggage allowance. I see P&O have scrapped the 3rd code for next season on Azura.

Rant over - do you know if we can pay to up each case from 23 to 28 Kg to avoid taking 3 cases - Thanks

Not sure to be honest, so much confusion over this. Thomas Cook say that no one case can weight more than 30kg, which suggests yes. However P&O say that no one bag can weigh more than 23kg - so a bit of a contradiction, perhaps TC baggage handlers are stronger - lol

Edited by JenniC

We fly on Saturday to join Azura, after packing last night both cases were bang on the limit. I rang Thomson flight extras at lunchtime today and booked 5kg each extra luggage allowance, just used my P&O reference no and they emailed me confirmation straight away.

We fly on Saturday to join Azura, after packing last night both cases were bang on the limit. I rang Thomson flight extras at lunchtime today and booked 5kg each extra luggage allowance, just used my P&O reference no and they emailed me confirmation straight away.

was that your P&O Booker reference? Also that is Thomsons, not sure Thomas Cook are quite as organised - lol

As promised an update on purchasing extra luggage allowance for fly-cruises..

So 5 days to go and called Thomas Cook on the number shown on the P&O Wesbite. Easy peasy, took 5 minutes and was cheaper than advertised and for more allowance than advertised - so happy bunny. TC rep talked me through how to print off the confirmation direct from flythomascook.com - so all sorted.

As promised an update on purchasing extra luggage allowance for fly-cruises..

So 5 days to go and called Thomas Cook on the number shown on the P&O Wesbite. Easy peasy, took 5 minutes and was cheaper than advertised and for more allowance than advertised - so happy bunny. TC rep talked me through how to print off the confirmation direct from flythomascook.com - so all sorted.

Was that the 0844 855 0515 number ?

How much cheaper was it

Thanks

Was that the 0844 855 0515 number ?

How much cheaper was it

Thanks

Yes it was that number. We wanted 15kg on way out (loads of shoes, two DJs, sun creams & lotions and copius toiletries) between us and 10kg on way back which would have been, according to P&O £100. It was cheaper to have 20kg between us return - £56.

Yes it was that number. We wanted 15kg on way out (loads of shoes, two DJs, sun creams & lotions and copius toiletries) between us and 10kg on way back which would have been, according to P&O £100. It was cheaper to have 20kg between us return - £56.

Thanks Jenni

Think you hit lucky with whoever you spoke to - I have just phoned to see if we can order yet (can't) and have been quoted the P&O figure - £40 return each for 5Kg each.