Ancient Wonders: Marmaris, Istanbul, Lesbos, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi

athens...there is a hoho petit train that leaves from the acropolis museum with some interesting stops around town (about €5 pp)

I can recommend the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown sodier (on the hour...every hour)

guard.jpg

this was the highlight of ms m day!:cool::)

athens...there is a hoho petit train that leaves from the acropolis museum with some interesting stops around town (about €5 pp)

I can recommend the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown sodier (on the hour...every hour)

guard.jpg

this was the highlight of ms m day!:cool::)

It was the highlight of my time in Athens too - it really is a 'Must See'

We went into the city the first time we went to Athens. My OH did the Thomson cycle trip & absolutely loved it. The next time we went back & did the Corinth Canal trip which was a really good morning out. The Thomson guide was excellent telling us so much information about the Athens area whilst on the coach there & back. We stopped & looked from above to see the boats sail through the canal & watched Bunjee jumpers hurl themselves off the bridge. We then went on a boat both ways up & down the canal. It was very pleasant whilst also being an interesting day out. Plenty of seats outside on the boat too for catching those rays!

Edited by Julessmiles

Marmaris - we have been here 3 times from a cruise. We have done a jeep safari up into the hills which was an excellent on & off road trip taking us away from the tourist areas to beautiful beaches & waterfalls where we swam. We have also done the Thomson Cycle trip which again was excellent - cycled approx 15 miles, mainly flat all around Marmaris to Icemeler, beach stop then headed back along the promenade to the ship.

Last year we walked all around the lovely old harbour & town past all the bars & took a water taxi over to Icemeler where we spent the day on the beach; we hired sunbeds from one of the hotels at a good price & were able to take our own drinks - plenty of places to buy these in the resort. Had a smashing day in the sea there & a lovely ride over & back. I left my mobile phone on the beach by accident there & the driver on the water taxi phoned it; got his brother to get on his scooter & fetch it, they turned the boat round & headed back to the pier where his brother was there waiting for me - lovely, Turkish people!!

Edited by Julessmiles

Istanbul you can use the trams which go past most of the places of interest.

Take some small Turkish lira notes with you as you pay to get into or onto the tram stops. The tram only as a 2 way system ( there and back..lol ) so no way of getting lost.:confused: The Tram is only about 5 minutes from the port and I would recommend it going to the sites at least, as it is all up bank. We found that the locals on the trams were only to happy to tell you were every stop was:)

Istanbul

Istanbul is really easy to DIY - we went 2012 & 2013. First time we took the trams & did our own thing visiting the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace & the Underground Cisterns. We also did a Bosphorous Cruise as we had an overnight & half day there. In 2013 we just walked & walked all day - amazing city to walk around. If you get chance, head for the Galata Tower - it is easy to find; just get off the ship then left & walk! It is up a hill on the right! You see the most amazing views of the city & the harbour. Do walk over & under the Galata Bridge (one way each!) Fantastic experience. In our opinion, the Sulieymane Mosque is more beautiful & more impressive than the Blue Mosque & less busy! If you DIY, you can do everything in your own time & not be rushed from place to place by a guide - worth doing Istanbul at your own pace.

Edited by Julessmiles

Agree with everything already written but some extra thoughts:

Athens so much to see - lovely city. We've been quite a few times so the last time we just drifted into the new Museum. I'm not all that drawn to museums on the whole but the glass floor outside showing the excavated undercroft grabbed our attention - and we ended up going in. Very cheap too - and concessions available! Beautifully set out - exhibits in touching distance, interactive displays and a super roof terrace cafe looking straight out across to the Parthenon. We really enjoyed it and still had plenty of time to wander around the atmospheric Plaka area and have a drink there. There's a good HoHo service here too - one route picks up at Piraeus just outside the port.

Marmaris - we too love it - great waterfont and cafe vibe. Icmeler is a great beach day and the water taxi makes it easy to get there and back although you can catch a dolmus too - again very cheap. Think we needed TL for the fare though but that might have changed. Last time we were in Kusadasi they were showing dolmus fares in €.

Istanbul - I'd definitely recommend DIY unless you have walking problems. The tram is very handy but it is possible to walk into the tourist centre if you wanted to. Best sights imo - the Topkapi (go early to beat the groups and pay extra for the Harem), Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, walking over the Galata Bridge (under the top level - yes so much character Jules - definitely worth experiencing) also the Hagia Sophia and the Spice Market. The Dolmabache Palace is spectacular too but on the waterfront in the opposite direction to the other main attractions. The Süleymaniye Mosque is one place we haven't visited but I very much want to... it was closed each time we've been but from what Jules has said, it's certainly worth going to see.

Santorini - what can I say? One of my absolute favourite stops. If you're happy with DiY my advice would be to get off the ship as early as you can, go up the cable car at Thira where the tender will drop you, make for the bus station and catch the local bus to Oia. It's only a 20 minute ride, cheap and you get off at the terminus where you catch it to go back. We adore Oia and prefer to go on our own so that we're not restricted to tour times. A couple of hours spent here will still give you plenty of time in Thira before getting the cable car back to the quay to catch the tender. Make time to have a drink at either of these places at one of the cafes with terraces overlooking the caldera. Magical! That would be my plan for the day every time!

Kusadasi - of the 'Genuine Fake' shops in the bazaar. Tend to get a bit hassled here but it's a bit counter-productive on their part as it stops me browsing. I'd probably buy a lot more if they left me alone. There is a souvenir shop on the right at the top end if the bazaar where the road starts to rise quite steeply and he has a 'No hassle' sign outside. And it's true - worth looking out for if you want some trinkets and no-one at you all the time. We've spend quite a bit there over the years just because he lets you look in peace!

The 'must do' trip here I'd say is Ephesus if you haven't been before. The half day trip was enough for us but it was really something - good to have a guide too. Perhaps worth just doing the ship's trip here although I guess you could get a private firm or taxi transfer.

If you've done that and fancy something a bit quieter, we caught the dolmus from just outside the port to Ladies Beach (2€?). It's just a small place but a decent beach with furniture and a promenade with some nice cafes. It was early season so was quiet the day we went - not sure what it would be like if there were several ships in!

Not done Lesbos so will be interested in hearing about that one.

Edited by kruzseeka

Lesbos

We went here in 2013. This is a tender port. OH went on a great cycle trip with Thomson and really enjoyed it & had a good time. All the cycle trips we have done have been very good. I went with a friend & our teens, turned right out of the port & followed the road around for about 10 mins to a 'private' beach. We had to pay a nominal fee to get in which allowed us to have the use of sunbeds & sunshades all day. Beach was shingle & wish we had taken beach shoes - it was quite stony getting in via the beach but there are small piers that you can walk along to get in the sea down some swimming pool style ladders. There is a bar & restaurant here - drinks were a reasonable price, also toilets, changing rooms & outside shower to,rinse the salt off. We didn't eat here. Had a little wander around the pretty town & harbour before heading back to the ship.

Jules, agree about the suleymani mosque, so much nicer than the blue mosque. Quieter too.

10icqoz.jpg

Hagia Sophia is worth queuing up for and worth the entrance fee.

As Kruzseeka says, getting the bus to Oia is the best thing to do in Santorini, go early, beat the tours.... it starts to get busy at midday.

You can get the tram into Athens if you don't mind a half hour walk to the station, cheapest way into the City. Just turn left out of the port and follow the coast road until you see the bridge over the road, the station is just over the bridge, don't forget to validate your ticket before you get on the tram.

Have been going to post to say that I am still here and don't much like Facebook but didn't get around to it until now. Found out yesterday that our daughter and son in law have booked us a surprise cruise on this itinerary for our Big Birthdays. Am obviously very interested in the information about the ports but am a bit worried about some of the recent reviews on the Celebration, particularly a Christmas and New Year cruise. Anyone anything positive to say? Last couple of Thomson cruises have been on the Spirit so haven't seen the platinum changes. What will we see that is different?

Sandie

Hi Sandie - good to hear from you and Congratulations on your forthcoming birthdays. What a lovely present!

As I was saying the other day to Jakanne I think the Platinum 'up-grade' was rather over-hyped by Thomson which lead to disappointment for some passengers who were expecting more. I'm not quite sure what was expected but reading between the lines I thought it was going to be a welcome refurb which is what I think it turned out to be.

I haven't actually been back on Celebration since but from the photos it seems that it is very similar to improvements made to the Dream. In both ships the same carpets/fabrics have been used to give the cabins a face-lift also tea and coffee making facilities and flat screen TVs have been added. On Celebration the en-suites have been improved in particular by replacing the mosaic tiling which was something I really disliked only because the grouting got grubby and gave a poor impression. So I was very pleased to hear that had been done.

Public areas have also been recarpeted and a permanent canopy installed on the Lido deck as you exit the restaurant. Add new soft furnishings around the ship and some patio style furniture on the Lido deck and as far as I know that's about it.

I think what they have done on Dream is very nice - but was much needed. Hopefully the recent problems will be sorted very soon. We're very fond of the Celebration and I think the itinerary is great so no reason not to have a fab time. I hope you do. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for that Kruzseeka. I always find your comments are on the ball and are very much appreciated. I think I will just expect that it is a refurb, and nothing more, but I think that I will appreciate the tea/coffee making facilities - that is part of a holiday for me. Also, I do like 'going for a coffee' so will probably enjoy the coffee shop - does anyone know what is on offer there, prices etc?

Sandie

Thanks for that Kruzseeka. I always find your comments are on the ball and are very much appreciated. I think I will just expect that it is a refurb, and nothing more, but I think that I will appreciate the tea/coffee making facilities - that is part of a holiday for me. Also, I do like 'going for a coffee' so will probably enjoy the coffee shop - does anyone know what is on offer there, prices etc?

Sandie

Thank you Sandie - pleased to help :)

I'd forgotten about the revamp of the Explorer's Lounge - that's something I think will be a good addition. Let us know what you think of it. On P&O (Aurora) I think it was a Costa Coffee shop - rather nice ambience too - I liked it. Of course the cinema has gone now hasn't it but I don't think it was used a great deal.

There isn't an equivalent area for a coffee shop on Dream but I think the Water's Edge could have a dual use and perhaps be a coffee shop in the daytime. Who knows what might be in the pipeline but Fraser did say they were looking at areas which could perhaps be adapted for alternative/additional uses. I think it would be a good move.

Thank you Sandie - pleased to help :)

I'd forgotten about the revamp of the Explorer's Lounge - that's something I think will be a good addition. Let us know what you think of it. On P&O (Aurora) I think it was a Costa Coffee shop - rather nice ambience too - I liked it. Of course the cinema has gone now hasn't it but I don't think it was used a great deal.

There isn't an equivalent area for a coffee shop on Dream but I think the Water's Edge could have a dual use and perhaps be a coffee shop in the daytime. Who knows what might be in the pipeline but Fraser did say they were looking at areas which could perhaps be adapted for alternative/additional uses. I think it would be a good move.

Will certainly report back on coffee shop etc. Have been looking at all your suggestions for the ports. Will probably do the canal in Athens as we have been to Athens before. We are in Istanbul on the day of my husband's birthday and would like to DIY but am a bit nervous as we had a bit of an adventure in Stockholm in September - went to the Abba museum (excellent) and came out to find that, due to road works, the taxis were not in the advertised place. When we did find a taxi, it got stuck in a traffic jam. Really thought we were going to miss the boat! Am going to book the a la carte for that evening so don't want that to happen!

Sandie

Will certainly report back on coffee shop etc. Have been looking at all your suggestions for the ports. Will probably do the canal in Athens as we have been to Athens before. We are in Istanbul on the day of my husband's birthday and would like to DIY but am a bit nervous as we had a bit of an adventure in Stockholm in September - went to the Abba museum (excellent) and came out to find that, due to road works, the taxis were not in the advertised place. When we did find a taxi, it got stuck in a traffic jam. Really thought we were going to miss the boat! Am going to book the a la carte for that evening so don't want that to happen!

Sandie

I understand your concerns Sandie about getting back to the ship but if you're prepared to walk Istanbul is a winner from that point of view. From the main touristy areas around the Hippodrome (Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Bazaar, Spice Market etc) if you get a sight line you can see the ship berthed over the other side of the Galata Bridge.

I'm always reassured if I can see where I have to go, how far it is and better still if I can walk it if necessary. That's Istanbul! We've walked both ways in the past, done the attractions on foot - and been exhausted - but what a day! Once there was a Marathon in the city so the trams weren't running and roads were closed to traffic so we had no option but to walk. Another time we got the tram in but as it was an overnight stop we didn't go back until about 9pm. But although dark we walked and didn't find any problems or have concerns about walking back to the ship in the dark either.

You really can see a lot in one day as the main sights are close together. To save your legs a bit you can use the tram in and out (or taxis if available!) but you truly aren't too far away from the port. My advice would be - get off the ship early and choose what you most want to see and do your own thing. You'll be amazed at how much you'll see. Enjoy!

Unless you have mobility issues or especially want a guided tour I'd recommend a DiY day in Istanbul - go where you want, for as long as you want and not be herded around. We choose excursions sometimes but I just love wandering in Istanbul - such a vibrant, cosmopolitan city with a great vibe and cafe culture too. Fab!

Sandie

Not sure of prices but the drinks in the coffee lounge are not included on the AI package - you have to pay for them although I think you get a small discount if you have the package.

We were on the Celebration on 2012 & 2013 and the upgrade is lovely in the public areas. Cabins were not a lot different (we had same cabin both years!) but the bathrooms are certainly nicer!

The Lido & Hemingways are lovely now.

Not sure of prices but the drinks in the coffee lounge are not included on the AI package - you have to pay for them although I think you get a small discount if you have the package.

We were on the Celebration on 2012 & 2013 and the upgrade is lovely in the public areas. Cabins were not a lot different (we had same cabin both years!) but the bathrooms are certainly nicer!

The Lido & Hemingways are lovely now.

Good to hear Jules. I'm looking forward to seeing it sometime. :)

Thanks Kruzseeka and julessmiles. Looking forward to it. Am a bit concerned about reports on quality of food on Celebration (on Spirit in September we found no change). Also about drinks service. We aren't heavy drinkers but we are AI this cruise. Think we will eat in a la carte a couple of nights and, if MDR is slow/poor, will go to lido where at least you can see what is on offer. Am going to start new threads about airport prices and cruise and stay hotels.

Cheers

Sandie

Good to read the last couple of comments on Celebration which are much more positive than some of late.Joiming her Friday 31st hoping the dreaded virus has been extinguished.First time on Celebration but will compare to Dream and Majesty which were great .Will post my thoughts in a couple of weeks .

Good to read the last couple of comments on Celebration which are much more positive than some of late.Joiming her Friday 31st hoping the dreaded virus has been extinguished.First time on Celebration but will compare to Dream and Majesty which were great .Will post my thoughts in a couple of weeks .

That's good to hear dave. If our comments have prompted an improvement then that will be a great relief to many of us I'm sure.

Hope you have a great time and enjoy Celebration as much as your previous cruises. I'll look forward to reading your opinions on your return. :)

This is one of the cruises we are considering in august. The tips for what to do at each port are great. The only thing thats puts me off this one a little is the long transfer, having been to Turkey in a past life. And Dalaman airport :(

This is one of the cruises we are considering in august. The tips for what to do at each port are great. The only thing thats puts me off this one a little is the long transfer, having been to Turkey in a past life. And Dalaman airport :(

I thought that but we have been from Marmaris the last 2 years & the time flies on the transfer. (Also chance for a bit of a doze before you get to the ship!)

Edited by Julessmiles