Booked a room on the Riviera and at the aft. Bad choice?

dvdkndy

Have some friends who are cruising on the Paradise and the only available rooms at their price point was on the Riviera deck and located aft. I am curious if this was a bad choice because of the engine noise? Has anyone ever stayed down that low and if so, what are your experiences? Thanks in advance for your help.

Have some friends who are cruising on the Paradise and the only available rooms at their price point was on the Riviera deck and located aft. I am curious if this was a bad choice because of the engine noise? Has anyone ever stayed down that low and if so, what are your experiences? Thanks in advance for your help.

Wouldn't be my first choice. Yes engine noise and vibrations will be an issue especially in rough seas.

I am considered a seasoned cruiser; I have been on a total of 6 cruises. And what I have found out about cabin location is that the lower and closesr to aft you are the more you feel the boat rocking. The engine noise shouldn't be a big problem. If you can stomach the rocking you should be okay. :)

Technically, the lower (and closer to the middle) you go on the ship, the least rocking you feel. The WORST place to be for motion is actually all the way forward on a high floor.

We've been on aft cabins many times, and we actually prefer the Riviera deck. No major issues, and very little pitching motion (the up and down motion, which is what actually gets people seasick). The main drawback about being back there is NOT engine noise (I'll give you $100 if you can actually hear the engines), but there can be some rumbling and odd shifting motion. Also, being back there means long walks if you are going to a venue located all the way forward. Still, I'd pick an aft location ANY DAY before I select a forward location.

By the way, sometimes you can upgrade to the next category up and select a bit better location many times for as little as $10pp

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Good choice when it comes to not feeling the motion of the ship. The only time you may have an issue is when leaving a port. You will hear the engines and thrusters and feel the vibrating. It isn't real bad but you will notice them. Again the only time i ever was leaving port not at sea.

I echo what Sissy said... We have 24 cruises and ONE time we went Riviera deck last cabin aft. Wasn't a problem (no engine noise) until we were coming into port... This was a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. 11 days we were in port. Every morning about 6AM when the thrusters kicked on we were shaken nearly out of bed.... Not a huge deal as we needed to be up and moving to get to our excursions but still bothersome. By the 4th day it became a joke that we didn't need to set a wake up call.

So if they can live with that for the price they got then there should be no problem. And if they are not planning on trying to sleep in on the port days it should not be a big deal...

The Paradise does have a bit of a vibration, but no noise, from her engines/azipods. Think of it as saving a quarter. ;):D

We only sailed on her when she was sailing out of Long Beach, rarely going over 3 knots. No idea how she sails when going faster.:p

Edited by SadieN

We were in Riviera deck next to the last cabin aft on Freedom. The first night was OK. But since the 2nd night, the vibrations were so bad that the doors and drawers were making noises constantly for the whole night!

Ack..now I'm scared. We're booked in two Riviera oceanview rooms, towards the very back of the ship on the Fascination, starboard side.

We moved so we could get an oceanview room down low/aft rather than our porthole room, after reading that VERY forward rooms up high get more motion. Two of the people I'm sailing with are pretty prone to motion sickness so we thought this would be for the best.

I hope the noise/vibrations aren't too bad...:eek::eek: