Snorkel Masks

frostypenguin

Actually you pick out a mask that fits and make sure before you buy it, that you can order prescription lens for them. When I got my first ones they were lens that were made in something like .5 increments I believe and did not correct for astigmatism. So it was still blurry for me and I thought that the blurryness was what everyone was seeing. Then I had lasik. WOW. Until you actually try the mask on/or try it out in the water to make sure it is a good fit, I would not get the prescription lens.

What is the best place (online) for prescription snorkel masks?
If you know your prescription, you could order some lenses that you put on the glass inside your mask. Something like these I know there are some specifically for dive masks, but I don't see why these wouldn't work. Here is another brand.

If you don't already own a mask, you will only be able to know the one you are buying fits if you get to try it on. Local dive shops are the best place to start.

I bought a good mask from snorkelmart.com. I think it was under $50 with corrective lenses. I called the eye doctor, explained what I needed to know and asked which lense I should get. She gave me suggestions for the closest to my prescription. It was easy to order and came in about 7-10 days.

If you know your prescription, you could order some lenses that you put on the glass inside your mask. Something like these I know there are some specifically for dive masks, but I don't see why these wouldn't work. Here is another brand.

If you don't already own a mask, you will only be able to know the one you are buying fits if you get to try it on. Local dive shops are the best place to start.

Actually the DiveOPTEX work well. The others will wash out of your mask very easily. Before I had lasix I used the DiveOPTEX while diving for several years, worked great. If you opt for a mask with preset diopter adjustments in the lenses, they will be like dime store reading glasses, no adjustment for astigmitism. If that's all you need that's great. If you need more exotic correction, there are a number of mail order sites that will bond a true Rx lens to the inside of a mask. Many local opticians will do this as well.

Kent

This is all so confusing. I'm nearsighted, have an astigmatism, my eyes aren't super bad, but I do wear glasses 100% cuz I like to see :). I have some inserts from my goggles for snowskiing, would be great if I could just stick those in a mask. Hmmmmmm.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought a good mask from snorkelmart.com. I think it was under $50 with corrective lenses. I called the eye doctor, explained what I needed to know and asked which lense I should get. She gave me suggestions for the closest to my prescription. It was easy to order and came in about 7-10 days.

Thank you for this referral. I emailed them my Rx (I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye). Spencer wrote out this long detailed response with different options for me. Then I wrote back to ask another question about fins, and right away got another long detailed email, like in 10 minutes. So I ordered the Explorer Package with 2 Stock Rx Lens @ 18+ each eye and about 4 hours later, got an email that it's been shipped. How's that for service?

Now to see how the stuff is and I'll let you know.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for suggesting the website "StickonBifocals.com". They are wonderful people and explained to me that the only difference between the DiveOptx and the Reading Lenses, as they are called, is the size...and of course, the price! Much less expensive for one like me, starting out! They are a bit smaller at .4 diameter difference. Not enough for me to notice. You can even cut them down to fit your own needs, if they are still too big. The main thing I liked was that THE OWNER actually took the time to explain to me, that since the masks are made flat, I would need to turn the curved part of the lenses up and then press them on with water! That made sense to me. Reading glasses or sunglasses are already curved so the curved part of the lens would go straight down as the directions read. The masks are flat, thus the reasoning why the curved side of the lens must be turned up for suction! And they actually stay in place until you take them off! What a great little product that doesn't nearly get enough praise as it should. This first timer is happy for the suggestions here on the board! Thank you so much! I look forward to talking and posting more as I ease myself into the madness! :)

I had my mask done through a dive shop. I don't need glasses for distance, but I do need them for up close, so I had them put in a lens just at the bottom, so I'd be looking through them when I look down (at something I'm holding, or something close to and below me). Kind of like my bifocals. The top of the glass is clear for far out vision. It works perfect! (I just gave them my Rx from my eyeglasses.)

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of August I purchased a 2 window mask with optical glass from http://www.wintechsnorkeling.com/. It was $70 including free shipping. Had to pay extra for the plastic mask box, for $4 who cared? Delivery was quick and in September dove and snorkeled with it and thought it was terrific.

Archived