Use of Satellite phone while cruising

goldwinger88

Has anyone tried using a Satellite phone while cruising?

What were the results, limitations?

Thanks

It would work on the open decks the best. The interior of the ship is rather protected from external signals for obvious reasons. So if you planned to use it for outbound calls, I imagine it would be best. If you have a balcony, chances are you could use it there. I use a handheld GPS and it does okay with signal on the balcony, but grabs every satellite when on sun or sky decks.

Iridium? You shouldn't have a problem on open decks, might work on balcony. Check the coverage map. A Iridium rep told me a few years back they do not cover all the oceans etc, I believe Inmarsat picked up the slack, but they were bought out recently? Not sure.

Cheaper to use most US cell phones or room phones now on Carnival vs Sat Phone, but not if you're not the one paying for it :)

Let us know what you find out and how it works!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

There are 3 Satellite providers, but only 2 adequately cover the US and Carri bean.

I was looking hard at Globalstar to the point of going to Wests Marine to buy one, but they weren't in stock and had to be ordered. That gave me think time to back off for now.

I pay all of the bills, but am trying to keep the long term costs down. I thought of the prepaid sat cards to use only when I need it. The phone costs are no more that a new iPhone

I use Verizon and have International calling. Haven't tried it for fear of getting raped once I do connect and everything on my phone updates.

I can't get Verizon to give me sample pricing for the charges.

Has anyone used Verizon while on the cruise and how much were the charges?

Thanks

Edited by goldwinger88

Just turn the data off and you'll be OK. Headed on the Freedom 2/2, VZW told me $2.49/min inbound/outbound calls, 0.05/received SMS, 0.50/send SMS. Stay away from MMS, DATA, use WiFi on the boat/port when necessary. No need to buy a Sat phone for this excursion :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I may bite the bullet and use Verizon. It has to be better that the wifi I have wasted in the past. Although Carnival just signed with MTN for satellite service so maybe the wifi will finally work. I suppose I will hear the good and bad before my May Cruise

Edited by goldwinger88