Carnival Paradise Questions.....

justusfour2014

I cruised with my 15 year old son on the Paradise last year. Ship was beautiful. Plenty to do. We stopped in Grand Cayman and swam with the rays. Stopped in Cozumel and took the 7 hour excursion to Tulum. Yes it was a long day but worth every second of it.

A place like no other.

sbcruising11 - thanks for your reply as well. My son will be 15 years old in about 15 days after the cruise I am looking at. Time flies. . .

Thanks for your comments!

We have cruised many ships, much bigger with terrific water slides (Disney Dream) but we choose this ship because it's going to Cozumel & Grand Cayman! So we are sure to have some nice weather and not freezing water like in Nassau & the Bahamas! ;)

Like some said, for a first cruise save money and go in Paradise :D;)

Leaving on March 3rd on the Paradise!!!!

(BTW we are driving 26 hrs to Tampa :eek:;) )

Frenchsnowhite - 26 hours?!?!?! Wow! Thank you for reply, and have a safe and wonderful time!

We were on the Paradise in Feb 2013. Our first cruise and it was fantastic. I really don't know how any ship could beat Paradise. Small and intimate, she is just great. As for the stingrays, some have had their barbs removed and others haven't. We did an excursion with Moby Dick tours. Worth every penny. They had an intimate knowledge of the stingrays which they explain on the way out to the middle of the lagoon. After the talk, I felt completely safe to touch the rays. They've been feeding there for generations and are very calm and relaxed. First we snorkeled for 45 min then we went to the sand bar and got in the water with the stingrays. The guides with Moby Dick tours get in the water with you and point out the different rays by name, tell you a little about them and we even got to feed them shrimp. We heald them in our arms and they swam around our legs, brushing up against us. It was the coolest experience ever!!! Do it. I highly recommend Moby Dick tours. They were prompt and professional. We had our 4 and 7 year old sons with us and never worried for their safety. Water was just over waist high deep for the average adult where we stood with the rays. Awesome experience!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

4Tacos - wow -- thank you for replying! I have "moby dick tours" bookmarked and just showed my husband. Told him this is what I want us to do -- it incorporates my son's want to snorkel and something we all would otherwise never get to do, or even see. He said, "well, make it so!"lol

Again, thank you so much for replying! Truly appreciate it.

Just back from the Paradise on Thursday.

She's a great little ship IMO. Still in good shape and kept well maintained. She's set up a little differently and still has the slide at the main Lido pool instead of the waterworks like others in her class. People seemed to really like this as the slide was busy all day and I saw all ages using it.

There are two hot tubs on Lido as well. The front one is adults only and that rule was strictly enforced while we were on board. The one under the slide is fair game tho from what I saw.

There is also an area one deck up toward the aft with another full size pool, a clearly marked kiddie pool and a hot tub. I didn't see many people using the pools or hot tub, but the loungers were popular for sunning since this deck is completely open with zero shade.

Passengers on this sailing were mostly 50+ but I did see a good number of young adults as well. Could have been the time of year accounting for that. But we saw few children at all and the ones we did see were preschool age.

That's all I can think of that would be helpful. Any questions just ask. :)

Sinjan - thank you! That is great information, and it's wonderful to see that everyone thinks this ship is great despite not having the upgrades as the other ships in its class. Thanks!

We were on Paradise a couple weeks ago and had a blast. It is small and kind of outdated- but service was great and the kids had so much fun! We had 6 kids in our group- and they all found plenty to do (and EAT!) Have a great time!! I would be happy to answer any question you have (if I can- it was 2 weeks ago so its fresh in my mind....sigh.... I want to go back)

Misshig - thanks for replying! "kind of outdated" -- I have nothing to compare it to so this really doesn't factor in for me, I guess. For our first cruise, I think small would probably be best for us anyway -- until we get our sea legs!lol

Thanks again!

We love the Paradise, and Cozumel is a blast. If you're looking for a fun family excursion there, check out the Amazing Race. Also, if you have anytime dining ask to sit with Louis, he'll take great care of you!!

Mutumbojimbo -- Thanks for our reply too! Lots of wonderful comments, suggestions I'm getting. Really appreciate it!

I think the stingray excursion is relatively safe. But, you are in the ocean doing it. There are certainly other dangers of being in the ocean but we felt completely safe and took our 5 year old on the excursion. And we run into the same issues with school. But it has snowed so much here he has missed an additional 8 days. Whatever you decide, I think you will have fun!

Thanks! I agree, we'll have fun no matter what!:D

We are going back to grand cayman this April and will be doing the sting ray excursion (booking outside of carnival to save $$). I can't believe I forgot all about it... I happened upon it when I was searching for other things to do there as it will be our third time. The first time I wanted to do this excursion but we were traveling with another couple and she wouldn't even entertain the idea. Last time we were with our kids (who would've really loved it...) and we did a tour that included Hell, the Tortuga factory and the turtle farm. It was an excellent excursion and the turtle farm was amazing! So that's another option that would keep you dry.

As far as Cozumel, we've been there 6 times, I think. We have had trips that we just walked around downtown and interacted with the locals and shopped, we have taken a cab to Chankanaab and rented snorkel equipment, most recently we rented a jeep from Alamo and toured the island at our own pace. It's a very friendly island that is also wonderfully beautiful. We will be going back there in April as well. This time I think we're going back downtown in a taxi, walk around, talk to the locals and have some great food. (We've found some pretty amazing "off the beaten path" establishments. We try to make it a point not to eat at the Hard Rock or Margarittaville because that's not authentic area food. (Great food, but we can get it in the US).

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Especially, Cozumel- like I said, it's our favorite port.

I read about "Chankanaab." Did you book this through Carnival, or another site? I'm booking the Stingray through Moby Dick Tours as you save money. Also, did Chankanaab provide food? Thanks!

We sailed the Paradise last month on the 5 night and loved it. Our favorite was Cozumel... My 2 oldest daughters (10 and 8 ) did a dolphin swim with my hubby at Chankanaab. We would definitely sail the Paradise again. We sailed with our 5 kids (1,4,6,8,10) and all had a great time. I have many pictures if you are interested in seeing.

Am I interested?!?! Of course I want to see pictures!!!:D

Thank you!!!

I read about "Chankanaab." Did you book this through Carnival, or another site? I'm booking the Stingray through Moby Dick Tours as you save money. Also, did Chankanaab provide food? Thanks!

I haven't booked an excursion through Carnival since our first cruise in 2003... We always look for cheaper options and have never had a bad experience. As far as chankanaab, we take a cab over there and pay at the gate. If you look online there was a $2 off coupon in December. You pay admission at the gate it's $18 for adults, I believe and $14 for kids. That includes the beach, the Mayan reproductions, the sea lion show and the playground. Snorkel equipment is available for rent, there are restaurants on site for an extra charge and a dolphin swim experience which is also extra. They have lots of iguanas to see also. In the beach there are chairs and umbrella. Restrooms are available too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't booked an excursion through Carnival since our first cruise in 2003... We always look for cheaper options and have never had a bad experience. As far as chankanaab, we take a cab over there and pay at the gate. If you look online there was a $2 off coupon in December. You pay admission at the gate it's $18 for adults, I believe and $14 for kids. That includes the beach, the Mayan reproductions, the sea lion show and the playground. Snorkel equipment is available for rent, there are restaurants on site for an extra charge and a dolphin swim experience which is also extra. They have lots of iguanas to see also. In the beach there are chairs and umbrella. Restrooms are available too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate all this wonderful information! So many notes I am making now!LOL

My son found this ship very fun. Both ports he will love. Grand Cayman we swam with the rays had a wonderful time.

While in Cozumel we took the 7 hour excursion to Tulum. Worth every penny and more.

Great sights along with historical information.

Cruising again this year out of Miami on the Victory to Key West and again stopping in Cozumel. We will again swim with the rays. So can't wait.

Just back from the Paradise on Thursday.

She's a great little ship IMO. Still in good shape and kept well maintained. She's set up a little differently and still has the slide at the main Lido pool instead of the waterworks like others in her class. People seemed to really like this as the slide was busy all day and I saw all ages using it.

There are two hot tubs on Lido as well. The front one is adults only and that rule was strictly enforced while we were on board. The one under the slide is fair game tho from what I saw.

There is also an area one deck up toward the aft with another full size pool, a clearly marked kiddie pool and a hot tub. I didn't see many people using the pools or hot tub, but the loungers were popular for sunning since this deck is completely open with zero shade.

Passengers on this sailing were mostly 50+ but I did see a good number of young adults as well. Could have been the time of year accounting for that. But we saw few children at all and the ones we did see were preschool age.

That's all I can think of that would be helpful. Any questions just ask. :)

We will be on the Paradise in 2 weeks. Do you mind telling me how cold the pools were? I'm a GA Girl and don't get into our pool until it's at least 85+.

When we went last month I thought the main pool was a little chilly. Maybe 78 or so? I am like you and like it better at 80 or above. The other pool was closed and empty. The whirlpools by the main pool were cold and only 1 hot tub in serenity was actually hot.