Snorkels

frostypenguin

I'm just a beginner myself, but I would say that anything that helps keep the water out would help. I used a regular rental in Cozumel and kept getting water in and having to clear it.

I bought a fairly inexpensive snorkel fair our other stops and decided it didn't matter what type of mechanism was used to keep the water out it had . What seemed to matter (at least to me) was the purge valve at the bottom that helped get the water that did get in, back out.

With the new snorkel I never had to stop in order to get those last frustrating amounts of water out of the snorkel.

Probably most important thing to look for in a snorkel is the diameter of the barrel. The wider barrel will be easier to draw air through, imagine trying to breathe through a skinny straw. The stay dry models work (for the most part) but they are much heavier than the standard ones and can pull on your mask strap. I use a model called "Edge" with my SCUBA gear. It was cheap (around $15), has vents on top to help keep out the water and a purge valve. The bottom is a flexible, floppy, type that I prefer since it will hang out the way of my SCUBA regulator, but works just fine for snorkeling.

Both my 11 y.o. DD and my 8 y.o. DD use this type also and it has been the easiest for them.

Probably most important thing to look for in a snorkel is the diameter of the barrel. The wider barrel will be easier to draw air through, imagine trying to breathe through a skinny straw. The stay dry models work (for the most part) but they are much heavier than the standard ones and can pull on your mask strap. I use a model called "Edge" with my SCUBA gear. It was cheap (around $15), has vents on top to help keep out the water and a purge valve. The bottom is a flexible, floppy, type that I prefer since it will hang out the way of my SCUBA regulator, but works just fine for snorkeling.

Both my 11 y.o. DD and my 8 y.o. DD use this type also and it has been the easiest for them.

I concur. The larger the diameter the easier to breath. Remember though the volume of air in the snorkel is "dead air" in other words it is largely the air expelled from the lungs on the previous breath. SO - big diameter is good, easier to breath. Too big is bad - too much dead air, you'll get a headache from CO2 build-up.

Also, most of the "totally dry" snorkles a)don't work, b)cost more & c) are not very durable. A good purge valve at the bottom is the most imprportant feature, even so you will always get a little water in the snorkel. Frankly, take a little time to get used to clearing a standard "J" type snorkel, you will not regret it.

Kent

PADI OSWI

Archived