When is formal night ...

barbeaujo

New to X. Booked Silhouette July 2014, 12 night Med + Greek isle cruise.

Is there a " universal " equation to know when will be our 3 formal nights ( ex: on first sea days, 2nd night, last night , etc ) ?

I would like to plan ahead with specialty restaurant reservation but don't want to miss out on formal dinner.

Thanks, Josee from very cold Canada ...

Don't be surprised if they reduce the formal nights to two---they've done that on all our recent longer cruises. Historically, your first formal night is on the first sea day. They never have formal nights on the very last night as people are packed and prepping for departure. If you have another sea day, that's probably your second formal night.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Mat i also ask you, is the menu really "upgraded " on those formal nights, or is it just the ambiance ?

We have a very port intensive cruise ( 12 nights, 2 sea days) , and the only night i think we would be in an enough good shape to make sure we enjoy a specialty restaurant would be those sea days. But ... I don't want to miss a must see or eat in mdr , if there is such a thing :-)

We are in our mid 40', it it will be our 24th cruise, mainly rccl , ncl and disney. IMO , menus on those cie are not upscale for formal nights so we don't mind missing them.

Thanks again ,

Josee

I too am interested in this as we were planning on dining in specialty restaurant on formal nights to avoid the formal dress code in MDR on formal night. Nothing against dressing up as we typically do like to dress nice for dinner but DH will likely not bring suit or jacket but rather dress pants and button down shirts for dinner. Just trying to avoid the extra clothing for a few hours - rather pack light and find the suit or jacket adds too much to the luggage. Does anyone know if formal dress is required in specialty restaurant on formal nights?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

No formal requirement in the speciality at any time. Chops on RCCL is our benchmark for all other speciality venues. Murano matches up very close, the lobster prepped table side is wonderful, and if there is a Lawn Club Grill, don't miss it!

Josee, the MDR is very good every night on Celebrity, IMHO, yes the offerings tend to look a tad better on the formal nights. You will not be turned away from the MDR for not wearing a tie nor jacket on Celebrity. Nor will anyone come over to your table and give you the what-for! You will wonder why you waited so long to try Celebrity. After 25+ yrs it is our favorite line.

Edited by wallie5446

Thank you so much Wallie5446.

We can't wait to try X. I am trying to lower our expectations , but we really look forward to a more "refine " cruise experience .

Good to know for the Lawn grill, I was wondering , but now I will book it for sure . That and Qsine . We like to dress up so even if the specialty restaurants don't fallow the formal dress code , we will do so for keepsake pictures.

Sooo excited . Thank you everyone on cruise critic. I really don't know what I would do if CC didn't exist ! I would have to invent it I think , lol.

Josee

Thanks . Since menus dont seem to be a really different from normal to formal night , I think I will book specialty restaurant based on bghts that I know we should be in good shape to enjoy , rather then eat quickly and retire for the night .

Thanks everyone .

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app