Anyone rented a car for the day

QuickieGlenn

We rented at the airport in December , since our cruise ship docked at Crown Bay, but they did not do a pre or post inspection on the car.

After returning home, we got a letter from a claims manager from Budget in St. Thomas saying there was damage to the car, which there wasn't. It had a picture of a jeep of a different color than what we rented, and the estimate on damage was 5 days after we rented the car.

If you rent, insist on an inspection before and after the car. Because the rental lot is about 1/4 mile from the airport, they might resist doing it but I would never rent from them again.

It's great to rent a car, can get around the whole island- we went to Magen's Bay, Sapphire Beach, Coki Beach, and Secret Harbor. Worth it to get around but be careful when you rent!

Any input on renting a car at Havensite Dock? Thinking of doing a personal tour of the island with no restraints.

We have rented from budget twice before and have jeep reserved again for next month. They are right at the dock in havensight. Very easy to use. They drive on "wrong" side of road. Other than that no problems.

• 6 months later...
We have rented from budget twice before and have jeep reserved again for next month. They are right at the dock in havensight. Very easy to use. They drive on "wrong" side of road. Other than that no problems.

Did you have to wait very long when you went to pick it up? Or was it a fast process?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have you rented Jeeps from them before? We had 4 Jeeps reserved the last time we were there (about a year ago), and... Surprise. Surprise. The much-anticipated-Jeeps turned into 4 dinged-up sedans... :( My teenage nephews were so disappointed, but we made the best of it. This was at their location near the Crown Bay dock (I think it's called Contant), not Havensight. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I've rented from Budget 3 or 4 times now. DH really doesn't like to do it, mostly because of the whole "drive-on-left-side-of-road" thing. :rolleyes:

QuickieGlenn: if you decide to go ahead, don't delay in getting over to the rental office at Havensight. I've seen them run out of cars before, and turn away folks with confirmed reservations. :(

I'll add one more vote for Budget at the Havensight dock. We had no problems getting the jeep we had booked. And we probably weren't in there more than 5 minutes before walking out with the keys. We did an inspection and they signed off on all the dings we noted without question.

We had a great time, although we are very familiar with driving on the left (trips to Australia and the Bahamas in the last 14 months, plus previous trips to the Bahamas and UK). I would definitely do that again if I was back in St. Thomas.

We actually drove over something and had to change a flat tire about mid-way through the day. I was expecting to get a bill for the repair (technically, we are responsible). But that was July 1 and I'm ready to conclude that we won't see one.