A Week of Meh: My Constellation Review 1/20-1/25

headhurt

I had to squeel when I saw you had BOB as a waiter. We did the Transatlantic on the Connie and he was our waiter. I have been on a lot of cruise and by far he was one of the worst waiters I have ever had. I am glad your experience was better. We sat with 2 other couples who repeatedly left the table because he was so slow, he blamed the kitchen but everyone around us had their food long before us. We did enjoy the company at our table so we stayed. The maitre de asked us and we were frank with him about the slow service, however service didnt improve. Was not a deal breaker for us, and we had the package of 5 speciality meals, at in Murano 2 times and Tuscan grill 3 times over the 15 night cruise.

Norma

I guess this summarizes how I look at it also. I have what I call the 1/3 rule. A great meal is 1/3 the food, 1/3 the company and 1/3 the atmosphere/service. I guess if I've had a meh meal on board the company and atmosphere/service have more than made up for it.

I realize everyone looks at things differently and I do respect the opinions of others.

For us...Celebrity was our "go to cruise" due to the food being a step above the other lines.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I've also taken the 5 day and it is a little different than the 7 day although the food quality should be the same. We won't sail on the S class anymore as the Solstice class is just so much nicer for us.

Don't pay attention to some of the people here that want to tell what should be important on your vacation. If food is important then that is how you base your cruise. Just go and enjoy.

We actually booked a balcony. It was a great little retreat to just sit and read.

We booked this cruise based on a great rate, but the itinerary was the main deciding factor. I had read up on Celebrity, which subtly touts itself as being a better cruise experience, which is what we were expecting. Perhaps we had our expectations too high. Like I said, it wasn't the worse cruise ever, but it was missing an added sparkle, as per our experience.

I'm not done writing my review, but it's hard to write one at work. So, I will be adding a couple other posts with pics when I am at home and can better do it justice.

We also found our experience (very recent 7 day) not quite up to par as our past experiences on X.

You're not alone...and I truly hope Celebrity is re-thinking some of the changes they have most recently made.

Hi there - loving your frank review.

I am staying at the Holiday Inn Express you mentioned during an upcoming trip in April. Can I ask how you booked the transportation from the hotel to the port, and how much it was? We get in late (11pm) the night before the ship sails and I'm concerned about the cluster that will inevitably ensue in the morning.

Thank you!

We booked our transport directly from the front desk of the hotel. You pick the time you want to be picked up, they give you tickets, and then go out to the front entrance at that time. We picked an 11am shuttle, so did a lot of other people, so there was a moderate wait. They tried to segregate according to which ship you were sailing, so that made things a little more organized at the pier. As for cost, I'm not really sure...maybe $8-10 per person? We booked a transfer with the shuttle service from pier to airport for our return trip, which was an additional $10 a person, but it was incredibly helpful. We didn't have to fight for a taxi after we disembarked.

Drink service was a little on the slow side, and we had a classic drink package. Drinks seemed watered down to me, when we could actually get them. We didn't take advantage of the drinks in our mini-fridge because we would have been charged, even with having the drink package...which is kinda dumb.

Curious why someone who is a self-proclaimed "lightweigt" would have the drink package.

Curious why someone who is a self-proclaimed "lightweigt" would have the drink package.

It came with the cruise package, not optional. We do enjoy a glass of wine at dinner. Log likes a good whiskey to sip on occasion, and I like fruity drinks on vacation, but we're not binge drinkers by any means. I can't keep up with the more seasoned partiers. I turn into the human fountain of emesis.:eek:

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised that they could make me a Blood Caesar. It was pretty good. I was a happy floating camper.

Edited by headhurt

Thanks for taking the time to write. I've also taken the 5 day and it is a little different than the 7 day although the food quality should be the same. We won't sail on the S class anymore as the Solstice class is just so much nicer for us.

Don't pay attention to some of the people here that want to tell what should be important on your vacation. If food is important then that is how you base your cruise. Just go and enjoy.

Solstice is an S-Class ship.....

I think you meant to say "we won't sail on M-Class ships anymore......."

The tap water doesn't get very cold, which kinda sucks when you get up in the middle of the night wanting a drink of cold water.

Thanks for the honest review. The only comment I did not understand was this one. We're you expecting a different temperature?

Thanks for the honest review. The only comment I did not understand was this one. We're you expecting a different temperature?

Cold. It was more room temp. Not a deal-breaker, just an oddity I noticed. I have a thing about beverage temperatures. One of my more endearing odd quirks.:D If cold water is your thing, your best bet is to keep a bottle of water stashed in the fridge for late night water breaks.

Cold. It was more room temp. Not a deal-breaker, just an oddity I noticed. I have a thing about beverage temperatures. One of my more endearing odd quirks.:D If cold water is your thing, your best bet is to keep a bottle of water stashed in the fridge for late night water breaks.

Every cruise ship in the Caribbean has about the same temperature ship water. The entire ship is about room temperature including the water pipes. This is no way an oddity and my guess no different than the previous cruises you have been.

For us...Celebrity was our "go to cruise" due to the food being a step above the other lines.

Yes. I'm sorry the OP's experience wasn't great. Our first Celebrity cruise was in Aqua Class and we fell in love with the restaurant, staff and food. Food is such a subjective topic and I've seen many people comment that they didn't care for Blu.

Yes. I'm sorry the OP's experience wasn't great. Our first Celebrity cruise was in Aqua Class and we fell in love with the restaurant, staff and food. Food is such a subjective topic and I've seen many people comment that they didn't care for Blu.

But, most folks who have tried Blu love it.

Im not getting this review. A litle too stretched out and a little too overly critical about the minute detail. Probably just me but I'm out. (When I post a cruise review I post it on the cruise review section...why post it on the forum?)

Lobster Flambe could easily have been something you prepared at home! Please invite me to your home.

Edited by kevinyork

Im not getting this review. A litle too stretched out and a little too overly critical about the minute detail. Probably just me but I'm out. (When I post a cruise review I post it on the cruise review section...why post it on the forum?)

Lobster Flambe could easily have been something you prepared at home! Please invite me to your home.

I whip together lobster flambé for breakfast 4 or 5 times a week. Very easy!

We booked Tuscan Grill for Thursday night. I don't have a good reason why Thursday, it sounded as good as any other night.

We got there and were seated right away. The dining venue was small and intimate, very nice ambience. The staff was very attentive and friendly. They started us out with an antipasto sampler where we could pick from a larger platter. I selected the prosciutto, the cheese, and the tomato. I didn't get the olives, but Log said they were good. We each had the salad with fried goat cheese, and it was good. For the starter, I got the beef ravioli with mushroom sauce, which had a great flavor, Log got the beef carpaccio(which he liked) Log got the steak, and he said it was well prepared.

1620924_10152166810901900_92122548_n.jpg

1546049_10152166810871900_816714405_n.jpg

I got the lobster alfredo, which was also good. Not amazing, but good. For dessert, Log got the tiramisu, I got the pistacio creme brulee which was pretty busy for a creme brulee.

1538939_10152166810836900_450969888_n.jpg

Overall a good dinner, but I found our meals in the MDR to have been just as good.

We did ask for a moscato from the sommelier, and what she brought us tasted nothing like moscato. It had a harsh, sharp alcohol element, and quite bitter. We were disappointed.

On a side note, does anyone know if cruise lines actually send their "sommeliers" for the extensive (and expensive) training for the certification, or it is just a name they give all their wine stewards??

What kind of chairs are on the balcony? Do they recline? Are there footrests? (I'm only familiar with AQ on the S ships).

Thanks!

They recline a little, but the ones on our balcony were chairs and not loungers. No footrests, but the balcony wall or the little table will work in a pinch. The larger balcony may have sun loungers. I know the penthouse suites do. Boy, those rooms are gorgeous.

We booked Tuscan Grill for Thursday night. I don't have a good reason why Thursday, it sounded as good as any other night.

We got there and were seated right away. The dining venue was small and intimate, very nice ambience. The staff was very attentive and friendly. They started us out with an antipasto sampler where we could pick from a larger platter. I selected the prosciutto, the cheese, and the tomato. I didn't get the olives, but Log said they were good. We each had the salad with fried goat cheese, and it was good. For the starter, I got the beef ravioli with mushroom sauce, which had a great flavor, Log got the beef carpaccio(which he liked) Log got the steak, and he said it was well prepared.

I got the lobster alfredo, which was also good. Not amazing, but good. For dessert, Log got the tiramisu, I got the pistacio creme brulee which was pretty busy for a creme brulee.

Overall a good dinner, but I found our meals in the MDR to have been just as good.

We did ask for a moscato from the sommelier, and what she brought us tasted nothing like moscato. It had a harsh, sharp alcohol element, and quite bitter. We were disappointed.

On a side note, does anyone know if cruise lines actually send their "sommeliers" for the extensive (and expensive) training for the certification, or it is just a name they give all their wine stewards??

Thank you so much! I am also glad to see that the Goat Cheese salad has been put back on the menu in Tuscan. My favorite, and the Beef Carpaccio looks yummy. Those two dishes and a little dessert will fill me right up! Have never been a fan of Tuscans steak. They are thick and juicy, but rather tasteless.