Transatlantic 9 May 2014 - Celebration?

CABINET

We are booked on the westbound transatlantic on 9 May 2014 which I understand is a bit of a celebratory/anniversary cruise involving all three Queens in Southampton at the same time and I think I have heard mention of fireworks?

If I am correct does anybody have any idea what time the ship would actually depart? After all in May it stays light until quite late in the evening so fireworks might be a bit of a disappointment with a 5 pm departure :confused::D.

I have tried to access our voyage personalizer but, as is so often the case, I can't get in :mad:.

That is an interesting question!

Sunset in Southampton on May 9th will be at 8:39 p.m.

Perhaps, fireworks will be launched from the Isle of Wight as the ships pass or from one of the ships, when the three Cunard ships arrive in the English Channel.

My understanding is that only the QM2 will be making a crossing on this date. The other ships will have other destinations.

I anticipate great entertainment and a mood of celebration on the Queen Mary 2. Have you seen the list of daytime speakers yet? It is posted on the roll call for this voyage.

Thanks for the replies.

I did a bit of googling and found that the fireworks for the Queens Jubilee celebrations meant that the ship departed about 11 pm which makes sense.

A 16.30 departure does seem to suggest that if there are any fireworks they won't be in Southampton anyway.

I haven't really given much thought to the actual voyage yet. We are very fortunate to be celebrating our Silver Wedding on the ship and will be spending nearly two months in the US before returning in July.

There is a lot to plan logistically but we are nearly finished booking hotels, trains etc.

We are beginning to get quite excited :D :D :D.

Thanks for the replies.

I did a bit of googling and found that the fireworks for the Queens Jubilee celebrations meant that the ship departed about 11 pm which makes sense.

A 16.30 departure does seem to suggest that if there are any fireworks they won't be in Southampton anyway.

I haven't really given much thought to the actual voyage yet. We are very fortunate to be celebrating our Silver Wedding on the ship and will be spending nearly two months in the US before returning in July.

There is a lot to plan logistically but we are nearly finished booking hotels, trains etc.

We are beginning to get quite excited :D :D :D.

Cabinet, sounds like you have a great holiday planned...wonderful way to spend your Silver Wedding Anniversary. Congrats to you both.

Regarding the fireworks on 9 May: yes, it appears there will be fireworks as the three Queens depart Southampton. See http://www.cunard.com/media-centre/news-room/press-releases/a-decade-of-excellence-queen-mary-2-celebrates-her-first-ten-years/

Regards,

Salacia

There was a rousing fireworks display on the evening of January 10 as the Queen Mary 2 prepared to depart on a cruise to South Africa and the Queen Elizabeth prepared to depart on the transatlantic leg of her 2014 world voyage. Ostensibly the fireworks were to celebrate the Mary's (almost) 10th anniversary, but they also served as a fitting send-off for the Elizabeth.

The Mary was scheduled to depart first, followed by the Elizabeth. However (according to Captain Wells on the Elizabeth), a stricken passenger had to be taken off the Mary at the last minute, delaying the ship's departure. Captain Wells also delayed the Elizabeth's departure, hoping the Mary would still be able to precede us; but in the end, Elizabeth sailed before her sister.

The fireworks took place shortly after the first sitting--around 8 p.m., if memory serves. I shot a couple of short videos from the starboard side promenade deck of Queen Elizabeth:

The recorded music heard in the videos was piped over the Queen Elizabeth's PA system. A rousing sendoff indeed!

I am on this voyage as well and excited to be part of the celebrations, including the sail-pasts. No idea when and where the fireworks will take place, might have to miss dinner to be outside when it gets dark!

Rob

I am on Queen Victoria heading off to the Baltic so I will give QM2 a wave. Lets hope we get a good send off. I am expecting it will be between 9 and 10 pm for sailaway. But they might make it later so that those on late sitting get to see the fireworks. :)

I am on Queen Victoria heading off to the Baltic so I will give QM2 a wave. Lets hope we get a good send off. I am expecting it will be between 9 and 10 pm for sailaway. But they might make it later so that those on late sitting get to see the fireworks. :)

We will wave back to you! That would be thoughtful of them if they delayed so us late-sitting folks could partake without having to go to the King's Court! :eek:

QM2's arrival in Southampton on May 9, 2014 is scheduled for 06:00, and departure is scheduled for 16:30 [source: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Enjoy! -S.

thanks for the link. Interesting that for the westbound crossing on May 16th the departure is at 23:59, presumably to have some leeway for fireworks and other festivities. Perhaps the 16:30 departure for may 9th will be changed to something later like this.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Cunard website clearly says fireworks will take place in Southampton harbor.

So, maybe 16:30 is the "all aboard" time and actual "sailing" won't take place until it is dark????

Nice for the three queens to have a get-together. Nice to know familiar folks from cruise critic will share excitement of departure.

Lanky Lad, we will be waving to you from the Queen Mary 2 as well!

Who will wave from the Queen Elizabeth?

So, maybe 16:30 is the "all aboard" time and actual "sailing" won't take place until it is dark????

I really believe that the actual sailing will be delayed because they know how much the passengers on board want to enjoy the festivities and what's the point of fireworks if the ships aren't there? I would think it will be similar to the Jubilee sailing.....hopefully. :)

I really believe that the actual sailing will be delayed because they know how much the passengers on board want to enjoy the festivities and what's the point of fireworks if the ships aren't there? I would think it will be similar to the Jubilee sailing.....hopefully. :)

I would assume that there will be many festivities, bands playing etc., BEFORE we actually sail, so perhaps 4:30 is the time that those festivities begin and then we would sail out at dusk? I have to say we certainly have chosen an exciting crossing! (My first too!) CABINET, have you joined our roll call? If not please do so! :)

Last time they had lots going on in Mayflower park and the sailings with the fireworks were the grand finale. I don't much care how they do it because I'm sure that whatever they decide....it will be great. :)

I see from your itinerary that you are sailing over on RCCL first. I envy you the nice long back to back crossings. I can't take that much time from work I'm afraid, so I am flying to London, staying there and about for 4 days, and then traveling down to Southampton the day before. Still, it is my first visit to Europe, and I have always wanted to visit England. It should be quite a trip. :). I am sure that Cunard will do us up proud!

Bob, we did the same last year and it was wonderful. RCL repo cruise with Caribbean ports first. Would have loved B/B QM2 but getting hard to come by.

You will love your time in England. Take lots of money. :). They are going to give us a great send off no matter what. What a treat.

When we sailed out of New York City on the "Norwegian Dawn" in April of 2004, we saw the QM2 berthed nearby, and took a few minutes to walk over there to get some pictures of her towering over all the other ships in port that day. As we approached the doorway into the QM2's pier terminal we were totally impressed by the pomp & circumstance that her boarding passengers received. (This could have been her inaugural visit to NYC.) At any rate, after witnessing the red carpet that was laid out for the QM2 passengers and the magnificent uniformed trumpeters that literally sounded a "welcome" to each passenger as they stepped onto that red carpet, we felt so common and unimportant when we entered the "Norwegian Dawn's" terminal to board our cruise ship.

So, I'm wondering if, in honor of the QM2's 10th Anniversary, the passengers on this festive Trans-Atlantic Anniversary voyage might expect a similar festive "welcome" to their boarding process on May 9th???

Debjo

Edited by debjo

So, I'm wondering if, in honor of the QM2's 10th Anniversary, the passengers on this festive Trans-Atlantic Anniversary voyage might expect a similar festive "welcome" to their boarding process on May 9th???

Debjo

The May 9th trip will board in Southampton. I'm pretty sure they won't be doing anything special for the boarding process. I'm thinking it will be about the QM2 and not the passengers. :)