How popular is the Cheers program?

HappyAboard

I can't decide whether or not to go with the cheers program. I would just barely break even, but it would be nice to try new drinks and not think twice about getting a drink.

I am just wondering how popular it is. I am still reading about a lot of people bringing wine on, and think they must not be getting cheers, or why would you bring your own wine (unless it was a certain expensive kind you can't get on the ship I guess).

I am also concerned about how interested the bartenders would be in serving you with the cheers. I know that once when I got the bottomless bubbles card it seemed that they took a long time to getting around to serving me (I know it is not just me because I have read about others with a similar experience). It might be different if a lot of people are using the program.

Anybody that has cruised recently, have you noticed if a lot of people were using the program? Those that have used it, any complaints or regrets?:):)

We used it and loved it. Some days we had more than it would take to "break even" and a couple of days we only had a couple. In the end we definitely came out way ahead but with that aside it was just great to not even think about the "cha ching" happening every time we would order something. On past sailings I would look at our account on the TV with one eye open afraid to see last night's damage. Cheers took care of that totally. We will do it again. :D

We're in the exact same boat as you as far as deciding whether or not to get it. The one thing that I'm not full sure of is the gratuity. What does the 15 percent gratuity up front cover? Are you still expected to tip the bartender?

I'm not 100% sure on the 15% gratuity up front. I'm pretty sure that it is spread out to the bartenders when you order a drink using your cheers card. Personally, I would buy it again. It was so nice not having to worry about whether or not I was burning up my account with drinks. We tried every drink of the day (but didn't get the fancy glass), ordered wine with dinner, had after dinner drinks, drinks at the pool, etc. We always tipped 1.00 to the waiter or bartender who brought our drinks to us. I think that kept me in alcohol without too much a wait, even when super busy.

We have done the cheers program twice so far and will do it again in a few weeks. I have not found the service to be any different whether you are on the program or not. you do not need to tip any extra, when getting drinks on the program, however, if you have favorite servers or bartenders who are taking good care of you, its nice to slip them a few bucks. My wife likes the program, because she can try different drinks without worrying about the cost.. When we pay for drinks individually, she usually stays with beer, but with the cheers program, she will try different types of drinks..

I can't decide whether or not to go with the cheers program. I would just barely break even, but it would be nice to try new drinks and not think twice about getting a drink.

You've answered your own question. Go for it.

I have never had subpar service with the program and personally love not having to tote on wine or rum runners.

I am just wondering how popular it is. I am still reading about a lot of people bringing wine on, and think they must not be getting cheers, or why would you bring your own wine (unless it was a certain expensive kind you can't get on the ship I guess).

I am also concerned about how interested the bartenders would be in serving you with the cheers. I know that once when I got the bottomless bubbles card it seemed that they took a long time to getting around to serving me (I know it is not just me because I have read about others with a similar experience). It might be different if a lot of people are using the program.

Anybody that has cruised recently, have you noticed if a lot of people were using the program? Those that have used it, any complaints or regrets?:):)

I bought Cheers on my last cruise and was very satisfied with it. Like you stated, it was nice to try some drinks that I might not otherwise purchase. I never had trouble getting waited on. No complaints. No regrets. I plan to purchase Cheers on my next cruise.

We're in the exact same boat as you as far as deciding whether or not to get it. The one thing that I'm not full sure of is the gratuity. What does the 15 percent gratuity up front cover? Are you still expected to tip the bartender?

You pay the 15% tip when you purchase Cheers at the start of the cruise. You do not have to tip another dollar if you don't want to. It isn't expected nor required to tip when you order a drink.

We used it and loved it. Some days we had more than it would take to "break even" and a couple of days we only had a couple. In the end we definitely came out way ahead but with that aside it was just great to not even think about the "cha ching" happening every time we would order something. On past sailings I would look at our account on the TV with one eye open afraid to see last night's damage. Cheers took care of that totally. We will do it again. :D

I agree! I have purchased it on my last two cruises and plan on purchasing again when I board Freedom on Sunday.

Debbie

We bought the program on the Conquest last year. The gratuity is upfront and we couldn't use it until we hit international waters...something about taxes, therefore, we racked up a bit of a bar bill during Bon Voyage. I think they have worked this out now though because I saw people using it on the Sunshine during embarkation (beware, there are probably still taxes involved).

Here are a few things we didn't consider that makes it not a good deal for us:

• My husband is a beer drinker and I drink wine, and we brought 2 bottles on board, and beer has the lowest price point on the bar menu.
  • We ate at the steakhouse the first night and got a free bottle of wine with dinner.
  • A few days we were a bit hungover and didn't start drinking til later at night.
  • We booked all-inclusive excursions in all three ports and didn't feel like drinking much more when we got back on the boat.
  • We never drink the night before we get back to port because it makes the drive home miserable.
  • We got free booze one morning during brunch.
  • We got free booze at the past guest cocktail party.

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to drink more than 57 bucks per person a day, but it really is. I will also add, that the one night we did drink our money's worth they cut us off around 1 am because we hit our 15 drink limit and the drink limit didn't reset until 6am the next day.

Hope this helps :)

Im from San Diego, if I'm cruising from La I don't get it. I take on plenty of wine, soda and RRers to make it for a week. In Dec I came back with leftovers:eek:

When we fly I buy it. I have never hit the limit. But the convience factor and being able to try new stuff out weighs shopping once there, repacking or trying to smuggle.

We still take the allowed wine on to have in our cabin or pre dinner when getting ready. Works for me!

I thought it was only for individuals and no sharing allowed???

It is for individuals , but if 1 person buys it, everyone in the room over 21 must buy it. So he is saying he doesn't want to get it since his wife does not drink much or at all. No reason to buy it for her.

Our last cruise we chose not to buy it even though we are both drinkers. It was a 12 day cruise with only 2 sea days and the port stops were long hours. Plus, for some reason, we were allowed to bring a bottle of wine on at each stop. We really would not have gotten our money's worth.

This cruise we are undecided. I will not be drinking and we have been told by Carnival that because I am pregnant, I do not have to purchase the package as well. From what i have read here, pregnancy is not an exception, so we shall see what actually happens. Even if I do not have to buy it, my husband is still up in the air as to whether it will be worth it to or not.

For me the cheers program was a no go because the majority of my drinks consists of beer. For me days at sea just relaxing over the period of time you can consume 15 drinks and after that no more.

So my experience with it is not worth it.

For me the cheers program was a no go because the majority of my drinks consists of beer. For me days at sea just relaxing over the period of time you can consume 15 drinks and after that no more.

So my experience with it is not worth it.

So you're saying that 15 drinks wasn't enough? I'm confused lol

I've thought about buying it, but never have. It would be nice to be able to try new drinks without thinking about the price, but in reality, you're still paying for them, you just aren't having to estimate the total. I would have to do a LOT of drinking to come out ahead, and I don't normally drink that much. Plus, I have to fit in a uniform when I get back to land, and that's a LOT of calories (I like frou-frou drinks like pina coladas, margaritas, and amaretto sours). Even coming out even, cost-wise, at 6 drinks, that's 2400 calories if you estimate 400 calories per drink (which is low for some of the frou-frou drinks). At 15 drinks, that's 6000 calories. And that doesn't include ANY food for the day.

We loved it for the budgeting aspect alone. I think we came close to our limit one day, and the rest of the time we probably broke even.

We use it to make the cruise feel more like an all-inclusive vacation, and it worked for us. We budget it in when we plan a cruise and it makes the cost not a huge deal.

We did purchase it on the first sea day after our sail away in NOLA, so the first night is when we consumed our carry-on wine allowance and used up the remainder of our drink coupons from our August 2012 cruise. This time I will probably deal with buckets of beer on the first day and enjoy our carry-on wine.

NOLA sailings they still charge you tax on the first days drinks until you get well down river from the city (I think someone said they pull it off after they hit a certain point down river).