Info on what is at the Belize port

2Okies

Before we cruised last week on the Carnival Magic, I had asked on this forum what there was to do AFTER our snorkeling excursion, and no one ever answered me.

Our snorkeling excursion to Sergeant Key only lasted 3 hrs, so we had until 4 to do something else.

After our snorkeling excursion which brought us directly back to the ship, we cleaned up, and took the ship ferry into the mainland port. There is a little shopping area right at the port. Its basically like all of the other "Carnival" ports with many of the same shops & restaurants. There are a few local type market shops thrown in. There was one doorway we saw where guards were standing by the doors and the "real Belize" was on the other side and men were out there trying you to come visit the "real Belize". I don't think the guards would keep you from going through that door, but are there to keep them from coming into the port area. However, we didn't go into that area. I don't know that I would advise it unless you have a "plan". We did have a friend we met on the ship that did go into the old Belize, because he was looking for a place to dock his sailboat if he was to sail it down from Houston. He said he didn't have any problems with a taxi, etc. But, I would be cautious entering the town without a plan.

We shopped around for a bit, bought a few souvenirs and caught the ferry back to the ship.

We just wanted to let people know that there is a small shopping area, and we did have time to enjoy some time on the mainland after our excursion - just to say we actually stepped foot on Belize land! ;) There were a few bars, for those that like that sort of thing, too.

Thanks for posting! I've heard mixed reviews about this port area - some say if you're not doing an excursion, to not even bother getting off the ship as it's just a joke in the guarded area.

Do you happen to recall what types of restaurants they were? Like...little shacks to buy a snack, or were there actual bar/restaurants? We're looking for a place to try some of the local beers and maybe grab a bite to eat since our excursion we wanted was cancelled. :rolleyes:

We didn't eat or drink anything while we were there, but I did see 2 or 3 places at least to get their beer, and they may have also had snacks. It looked like their beer was about $2-3 each? We don't drink, so we didn't try any.

The port isn't that bad. Its actually much better than I imagined it to be. There are some of the shops you will see at the other ports (Diamond International, Tanzinite stores, etc - and a few mom & pop type souvenir shops. The shops were nice - not run down, or scary. It was enough to keep us busy for a couple of hours, and be able to say we stepped foot on Belize soil!

I would say its worth the effort to take the tender over if you have time. We didn't buy much there. I did get a few things like a picture frame, a small cutting board, etc - and the obligatory shot glass for our collection for every new place we visit.

The last time I was in Belize, we exited the gates and hired a van for I believe $50. for the 4 of us for the day. We got our own little island excursion, saw some ruins and even ate at a roadside "locals" restaurant. I'm headed back in March and plan on doing the exact same thing.

Just make sure you negotiate a price at the beginning. Afterward, we hung out at the port restaurant and drank Belikin!

Here are a few pictures I took at the port in Belize. I didn't get to take that many, because my camera quite working on me for a while in Belize. These were just the few I took with my phone.

This first picture is of the some of the shopping area

ry%3D400

This picture is looking from the shopping area out into the harbor

ry%3D400

A walking advertisement in the shopping area

ry%3D400

Buildings across the harbor from the shopping area

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

Edited by 2Okies

• 2 weeks later...
Oops - it's actually The Wet Lizard!! Mixing up my reptile bars!

Yep - Wet Lizard - We have a couple of plastic drink glasses from there.

There is a hotel (Radisson maybe) that has a pool and small beach and I believe they may charge a daily fee for cruise ship visitors. It is about a 10 minute walk from shops. Has anyone been there and is it worth the walk through town?

Yep - Wet Lizard - We have a couple of plastic drink glasses from there.

There is a hotel (Radisson maybe) that has a pool and small beach and I believe they may charge a daily fee for cruise ship visitors. It is about a 10 minute walk from shops. Has anyone been there and is it worth the walk through town?

The Raddison has a small quiet bar

• 2 weeks later...
There was one doorway we saw where guards were standing by the doors and the "real Belize" was on the other side and men were out there trying you to come visit the "real Belize".

Go out that door!!!

Turn immediate left, walk to the end of the wall, take another left, and buy a round trip ticket to Caye Caulker.

A boat taxi ride to paradise, and escape all the BS of Belize City.

1018649376_SanPedroWaterTaxi.jpg.76ba4e392759c20d293d12c9901b0541.jpg

There are at least 3 different bars/restaurants on piers over the water when you get off the tenders. There were people eating at the bars on the tender area and the Belikin beer was flowing. :) Then a courtyard area with shops all around. We did walk out the gates to the left and went to a Walmart type shop to get something we were wanting but you could tell it wasn't a safe thing to do. Be careful. Interesting to see some of the city itself but not a pretty place. Make sure you go over the bridge and not go straight...

Go out that door!!!

Turn immediate left, walk to the end of the wall, take another left, and buy a round trip ticket to Caye Caulker.

A boat taxi ride to paradise, and escape all the BS of Belize City.

We visited one of the cayes years ago after snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley that had some hut-type restaurants on the water and a dirt road from one end of the island to the other with some shops along it. It was a long island with almost no motor vehicles. Does this sound like Caye Caulder? I would love to go back but can't remember the name of it.

We visited one of the cayes years ago after snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley that had some hut-type restaurants on the water and a dirt road from one end of the island to the other with some shops along it. It was a long island with almost no motor vehicles. Does this sound like Caye Caulder? I would love to go back but can't remember the name of it.

That sure sounds like Caye Caulker. Our first visit there was after snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley as well. We loved our return trip via water taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app