Carlo's Bakery Cakes on Breakaway?

garnet115

I am preparing for my upcoming cruise and I see on myNCL that I can pre-order a Carlo's cake to be delivered to my cabin. Has anyone done this? Are the cakes good/worth the pricetag? Dd is a cake boss fan, so I thought she would get a kick out of one of the fancy decorated ones. Or maybe I'll order one of the bon voyage celebration packages, which is less $$ and comes with decorations and a cake.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker who wants everything she see's... :o

I am preparing for my upcoming cruise and I see on myNCL that I can pre-order a Carlo's cake to be delivered to my cabin. Has anyone done this? Are the cakes good/worth the pricetag? Dd is a cake boss fan, so I thought she would get a kick out of one of the fancy decorated ones. Or maybe I'll order one of the bon voyage celebration packages, which is less $$ and comes with decorations and a cake.

I'm close to his hoboken shop, and personally, I do not like his cakes. I am not a fan of fondant. If you are, then go for it. His lobster tails are really good. There are also cupcakes, if you want to try that instead.

One of the crew members (bless her heart, she is such a sweetie - been on 6 cruises with her) ordered us the Oreo cake from Carlo's Bakery - I think this one is the least expensive. I thought it was delicious - no fondant - buttercream oreo frosting, with chocolate cake. YUM!

I don't care for his cakes either. They had pre-made ones in BJ's that I've tries and they were dry. Beautiful, but not worth the $$. There were nice looking tarts and mini cakes on the ship but didn't try them. Has the dolce gelato instead. That was yummy!!

One of the employees recommended the white chocolate mousse treat. It looked like a little cake but was completely amazing. Just about the best thing I've had on a cruise ship! Not very big but we would never have chosen it if it wasn't suggested to us. Yummy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just saw the part about the celebration package. We do this often, and DD loves the cake that is delivered with it.

Thanks. This is good to know. I think I'm being a little silly about all of this, but dd and I have been looking forward to this vacation for months, and it is probably our big vacation for the next 2 years, so I guess I am just overly excited and want to do absolutely everything. I may go with the bon voyage package and just go to the bakery ourselves for a treat another day.

One of the employees recommended the white chocolate mousse treat. It looked like a little cake but was completely amazing. Just about the best thing I've had on a cruise ship! Not very big but we would never have chosen it if it wasn't suggested to us. Yummy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ooooo ... that sounds so YUMMY!

Thanks. This is good to know. I think I'm being a little silly about all of this, but dd and I have been looking forward to this vacation for months, and it is probably our big vacation for the next 2 years, so I guess I am just overly excited and want to do absolutely everything. I may go with the bon voyage package and just go to the bakery ourselves for a treat another day.

That might be the best plan.

We checked in at the bake shop a couple of times - but we never bought anything. Lots of things looked good especially the cupcake choices - but I was never hungry enough to justify getting anything. :eek:

Never had the cake but the lobster tail pastries from Carlos' Bakery on the Breakaway were to die for!!!

No no. It's a pastry. Like a

Flaky croissant with cannoli cream on the inside. It looks like a lobster tail but there is no actual lobster.

ImageUploadedByForums1390874104.509718.jpg.efcdbf7655e1aac0be896aab05a90dc9.jpg

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Flaky croissant with cannoli cream on the inside. It looks like a lobster tail but there is no actual lobster.

[ATTACH]300256[/ATTACH]

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

The ones from Carlos Bakery are light flaky pastry filled with custard cream. Mouth watering deliciousness!!

[ATTACH]300256[/ATTACH]

~Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day[/quoteThanks BBC

Thanks!!

No no. It's a pastry. Like a Flaky croissant with cannoli cream on the inside. It looks like a lobster tail but there is no actual lobster.

[ATTACH]300256[/ATTACH]

What's with the fork in that picture? I'd pick that right up and wolf it right down all ladylike and stuff. :D Yum!!

I too went to BJ's and purchased a red velvet cake that looked beautiful, but was inedible. It was made by a 3rd party company Dawn Foods. It says on the box that it would be impossible for them to make fresh cakes for the whole usa from their 1 bakery in hoboken. The cake was really bad and I really wanted to like it as I am a fan of the show. I would have to believe that they get to the ship frozen and are similar to the ones in BJ's. This is the onpy possible way they could have them on the Getaway in mia.

Howard

We checked in at the bake shop a couple of times - but we never bought anything. Lots of things looked good especially the cupcake choices - but I was never hungry enough to justify getting anything.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it during our sailing, I did go back to the main bakery spot and grab one thing, but could not finish it . . . but wanted to say I tried something from there.

They played a lot of the Cake Boss episodes during the week on the big screen in the atrium. I knew of the show but had never seen one full episode, so sat there on occasion to see what it was all about. Was actually pretty interesting. While watching that 'theme', and and the other bakery outlet being just a few feet away . . . I tried one more item. :o I shared with two other passengers I met in the atrium, and none of us were a fan of a very odd taste (sorta like when too much food coloring is used). All the items in the case did, however, look amaaaazing,

Carlos%20Bakery%202-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%203-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%20Atrium%201-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%20Atrium%202-L.jpg

When I was on the BA I had a few things from Carlo's Bake Shop. Everything was fresh and delicious. Even on the last day of the cruise. I had lobster tails, cupcakes and ordered a cake (the pink/brown one in previous pic). We ordered the cake while onboard for my bday. My bday was Friday and I got seasick so we had to save the cake for Saturday. They held the cake in the Haven restaurant. I thought for sure the cake would taste stale. The cake was delicious!! I would def order another cake while onboard. The lobster tails were so good.

On my sailing, Buddy and his family were onboard. I asked how they get the pastries onboard. The staff onboard was shown how to make their cakes and recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I must co-sign with everyone about the lobster tails at Carlo's Bake Shop. I tried it first day so it was flakey and wonderful. The cream was not overly sweet and just the right consistency. It cost about $3 i believe but worth it.

the cannoli’s got a bad rap so i did not try those.

However after disembarking of the Breakaway in September NYC (Little Italy) was having the Feast of San Gennaro. the NYC tour took us and i tried a cannoli at one of the vendor/bakery...O M G!!The most amazing cannoli i'd ever eaten. If i had to choose between sex with the Rock and that cannoli at that moment....after a pause... (Not the Rock, bad example...) Let’s say Danny DeVito, the cannoli would have won! So I can honestly say that i would never have a Carlo's cannoli because I know it would never compare to that. However, I digress. What is the topic of this thread???

???:D:eek:

Edited by tiffygirl