Carlo's Bakery Cakes on Breakaway?

garnet115

Didn't have the cake, but if you look at the bottom picture that Don posted, the treat on the bottom right is a shortbread with chocolate and pecans....amazing. The shortbread wasn't dry, nice buttery taste and the nuts and chocolate were great. Can't wait to get on on Getaway!

I've heard great things about the oreo cake as well.

I must co-sign with everyone about the lobster tails at Carlo's Bake Shop. I tried it first day so it was flakey and wonderful. The cream was not overly sweet and just the right consistency. It cost about $3 i believe but worth it.

the cannoli’s got a bad rap so i did not try those.

However after disembarking of the Breakaway in September NYC (Little Italy) was having the Feast of San Gennaro. the NYC tour took us and i tried a cannoli at one of the vendor/bakery...O M G!!The most amazing cannoli i'd ever eaten. If i to choose between sex with the Rock and that cannoli at that moment....after a pause... (Not the Rock, bad example...) Let’s say Danny DeVito, the cannoli would have won! So I can honestly say that i would never have a Carlo's cannoli because I know it would never compare to that. However, I digress. What is the topic of this thread???

???:D:eek:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Probably La Ferrara - best cannoli's ever.

I had the lobster tail also but near the end of the cruise~~a little stale~~buy it near the beginning of the cruise~~anyway my suggestion! I did the Birthday package one year and also the Bon Voyage package last year and they both were great~~decorations and a large cake! Enjoy your cruise~~I go in October for 11-days~~my 6th!:)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it during our sailing, I did go back to the main bakery spot and grab one thing, but could not finish it . . . but wanted to say I tried something from there.

They played a lot of the Cake Boss episodes during the week on the big screen in the atrium. I knew of the show but had never seen one full episode, so sat there on occasion to see what it was all about. Was actually pretty interesting. While watching that 'theme', and and the other bakery outlet being just a few feet away . . . I tried one more item. :o I shared with two other passengers I met in the atrium, and none of us were a fan of a very odd taste (sorta like when too much food coloring is used). All the items in the case did, however, look amaaaazing,

Carlos%20Bakery%202-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%203-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%20Atrium%201-L.jpg

Carlos%20Bakery%20Atrium%202-L.jpg

AWESOME photos....as always! A great representation of what was available everytime we stopped.

I never did try anything...too afraid that they look better than they taste. Maybe someday I will try a cupcake. Pretty sure I would not like the fondant... :o

Or if you stay over night in NYC before the cruise, go to his shop near Times Square, grab a cake or wth will fill your sweet tooth and bring it back to the hotel room.

Just make sure you watch what they put in your box....did this last time and ended-up with a strawberry shortcake instead of cheesecake :( ....but it was delicious !!

We did try the bakery on BA last november and the cup cakes were excellent, best my girlfriend ever had. I had a small chocolate cake thing and it was excellent also. The gelato was very very good also. Cookies are wayyyy to expensive.

I am pretty sure everything they make for the ship is made at their factory in Jersey City, at least that's what they told us when I did a cake decorating class there. Which by the way, was a lot of fun. That cake was delicious. It was a buttercream class though, I am not really a fan of fondant either.

Thanks for all of the replies. I was on the BA for the 1/17 CTN but did not try anything from Carlo's. I just brought back 2 cupcakes for my dd, which she LOVED (but I did not try). I will definitely partake this time around! :D

Godiva - you have me thinking about that pink cake with the bow. That is actually the one that my dd was oohing and aahing over in the pictures! Glad to hear you found it yummy. Interesting that you were told that they learned to bake the cakes on board, because I could swear I once read another thread where someone claimed that the crew told them everything was brought on frozen. Will have to search and see if I can find it...

Thanks for all of the replies. I was on the BA for the 1/17 CTN but did not try anything from Carlo's. I just brought back 2 cupcakes for my dd, which she LOVED (but I did not try). I will definitely partake this time around! :D

Godiva - you have me thinking about that pink cake with the bow. That is actually the one that my dd was oohing and aahing over in the pictures! Glad to hear you found it yummy. Interesting that you were told that they learned to bake the cakes on board, because I could swear I once read another thread where someone claimed that the crew told them everything was brought on frozen. Will have to search and see if I can find it...

The pink cake was delish!! It was a layer if chocolate cake and a layer of vanilla cake with white frosting inside.

Buddy's whole family was onboard my sailing. On the first sea day I was sitting on the Haven sun deck with the Carlos's bakery box and we had a bunch of lobster tails. 2 of buddy's sisters saw we had pastries from the bakery and came over and asked how the pastries tasted. They were delicious. Then a little while later we saw buddy's bro in law Mauro walking past us on the sun deck so we called him over and asked him about the recipes and what kind of filling is in the lobster tails. They were all very nice. Later that week my bf had arranged with buddy to bring me my bday cake that he ordered out to me during dinner. I wound up seasick and had to cancel the little party my bf planned :mad: all the Carlos's Bakery items were delicious. I even brought the leftover cake home with me :D