Fire on Azura this morning

dsch

Apparently, they couldn't dock in St. Vincent because of strong winds and were due in Dominica today.

The evacuation happened while they were in port, so presumably it was Dominica.

More news as I get it... :)

R.

Heard from friends of ours they spent 2hrs drifting without power at breakfast time on Sunday morning, then recieved a text last night saying that they couldnt dock in St Vincent and that the crew were dealing with a fire in one of the cabins.

Hope theydont break the ship we are due on board on 8th Feb !!

A "smouldering domestic outlet socket" on a passenger deck triggered a crew alert onboard P&O Cruises' Azura, according to the line.

The alarm was raised yesterday, January 28, while the ship was in port on the Caribbean island of Dominica said a spokeswoman for the line, and most passengers were onshore at the time. Cruise Critic was initially alerted to the incident by a member who posted on our forums about a potential fire.

P&O's spokeswoman said: "A technical electrical incident in a passenger area on Azura resulted in a crew alert yesterday afternoon. The incident was quickly resolved."

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5702

Nice to see they take these things seriously!

Its very good that Cruisecritic follow peoples posts up too!

Edited by CCFC

• 2 weeks later...

We were on this cruise. We were just coming down the stairs to leave the ship when a crew alert was sounded.

It was obvious by the urgency and actions of the crew that it was serious and certainly not a drill. I was most impressed by the concentration and actions of the crew.

We were told later that night by a waiter that the problem was caused by the occupants of the cabin using an extension with multiple appliances plugged in. How true that was I am not sure just passing the information on.

The ship also lost all propulsion for two hours the day before. Some cabins in total darkness with nothing working. Ours still had lighting.

Now that was a bit scary.

Others... It rained every day of the cruise apart from one sea day. Ok only for ten minutes maybe three times a day, but boy was it heavy. Sea days were fun with everybody dashing for shelter.

Enjoyed the Azura, but prefer the smaller ships of Fred Olsen and the P and O smaller ships.

Bit disappointed in the entertainment, but speaking with other Azura regulars it seems that was a one off.

Ballroom and Latin Dance in the Atrium was fantastic.

Dance hosts exhibition was awesome.

Food fine.

First sitting in Oriental, lots of empty tables meant it lacked a bit of atmosphere.

Staff and service fine.

Dress code adherence was really good.

Thomas Cooke flights ok.

Fellow passengers were fine.

Hardly any children.

A deck Inside cabin clean, tidy and comfortable.

Usual scramble for beds on sea days but that happens on every cruise doesn't it.

We hired a golf buggy on Grand Turk, great day. Could recommend that.

Happy cruising, time to unpack now....

We were also on this cruise apparently the fire was started by someone using an extension socket Our cabin was on the same deck and you could smell the smoke.This was our very first cruise had a lovely time on Azura despite the incidents.We also found the entertainment very disapointing,everything else was great.We only went on one P&o trip and that was Land and Sea in StLucia it was very disappointing so much easier to do your own

Im still in Barbados having just left azura and surprised that people did not like the entertainment it was very varied and the headliners shows were excellent considering most of the time its was force 5 gales blowing I just wonder what some people want and at £80 pounds a day it is fantastic value for money but always there are people who want to complain we had one couple wrote a full complaint as they could not see hoover marks in their carpet and so doubted that the "BOY" (who was proberly 40) had not been cleaning their cabin properly although when questioned admitted that it was very clean !!! most people who use this site only seem to want to complain I think it was a very good cruise and great value you will find of the entertainment to your liking im sure and all the restaurants were very gd sindhu and 17 along with glasshouse excellent just go and enjoy yourselves and the all the excitement of life at sea!!!!!

:):)

Hi perky,

The point of a forum is to share all our cruise experiences.

I didn't complain about the entertainment, I said I was disappointed.

This disappointment was based upon our experiences on other P and O cruises along with other lines.

The disappointment was probably more targeted at the other entertainment rather than the Headliners Shows which you refer to. I think the production and costumes are some of the best.

Cruises are like beers, there are no bad ones just some better than others.

We, like you, also enjoyed the cruise.

We were also on this cruise. The ship was not evacuated as the fire was dealt with without the need to. We were also told that the cause was a extension lead used by a passenger.

Still a fantastic cruise, would recommend the river tubing on the Roseau river, my wife and myself are both 60 and I can't swim but felt perfectly safe and had a fantastic time.

Did a 30 minute Segway ride on the boardwalk in St. Maarten, best fun had in ages.

was also on this cruise, as has been stated by others the ship wasn't evacuated, we had a view of things from our balcony, firemen in full gear lots of black smoke but no panic it was dealt with very calmly. it was more scary being woken by emergency lighting and being adrift with no power for 2 hours. Not a dull minute had a lovely time even though it did rain every day, looking forward to booking next cruise

Indeed. we have already booked for Azura for Feb 2015 as we had such a great holiday and met a lot of lovely and interesting people.

I can't think of anything that merits a criticism, except perhaps for the rain (sorry, liquid sunshine!), which P&O sadly cannot control ;-)

Hi 1106451

We met some really nice people on the cruise and even managed to buy a photo of us dancing in the Atrium with yourselves in the background. Ha! Ha!

I agree with the points you made and we also enjoyed dancing in the Atrium. ....... and the Dance Instructors demo was fantastic. We had a 10 hour delay on the Saturday and were allocated a cabin for the day and had another day sunbathing and another meal in the Peninsular. P&O handled the problem extremely well.

Thankfully after 4 weeks crusing I only put on 4 lbs and Barbara just a little more. Relieved!!

Pass on our regards to your friends. It was lovely meeting you all.

BTW check this video of Adelmo and Leah from a previous cruise

David and Barbara

Edited by dgs1956

Well hi there David and Barbara,

Sorry about your delay, our return went trouble free. :)

I put double that weight in two weeks so heaven knows what I would have put on in four.

That link is fantastic isn't it.

Will pass your regards on and maybe our paths will cross in the future.

We are with Fred Olsen January 12 next year.

Take it easy

Paul and Col x

• 2 months later...

Apologies to all for bringing this post to the top.

Paul & Col

I hope you are both well.

I hear that Leah and Adelmo are apparently on Britains Got Talent this weekend. They are part of Latin Dance group called "Kings and Queens".

David and Barbara

Edited by dgs1956

• 2 weeks later...
There was another small fire on azura yesterday in the in the ice cream / pizza area were told that it was not a major fire and was extinguished with in minutes

Ah that would explain why the Pizzas weren't available for most of the holiday then. Saw them in the first sea day & never open after that.

Apologies to all for bringing this post to the top.

Paul & Col

I hope you are both well.

I hear that Leah and Adelmo are apparently on Britains Got Talent this weekend. They are part of Latin Dance group called "Kings and Queens".

David and Barbara

Hi David and Barbara, sorry only just seen your post. Will try and catch that on u tube or the I pad. Hope you are both well. Next cruise to Greenland in 8 weeks, so better start the diet..:-) take it easy...

Yeah never did find out how bad the damage was but I would guess it was may be a small electrical fire in one of the ovens

I've dealt with the aftermath of several electrical fires in my previous job - and they all had a distinctive smell of burnt pvc insulation.

Strangely, the smell on Azura was much more like burnt toast, so I think it might have been more like an overheated oven setting fire to it's contents.

The Captain was not particularly informative on this (or any other) topic.

A cruise video has been posted on YouTube and seems someone was in the area at the time of the fire last week it's only shows it for a few seconds but it's shows people working in the roof space

Sent from my iPhone using Forums