Time to decide

AZBeachBum

Planning another Fall Break cruise for the family. I need input from everyone. 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, OR 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, and Costa Maya? Which one and why? Our family consist of me and DH, Daughter (24), and Son (13). Thanks everyone!!!

We are doing the 7 day western Caribbean on the Liberty for Fall Break with our kiddos. Main reason for us choosing that one is for the Mayan Ruins, we've not seen any yet and we love to submerse our boys in as much history and culture as we can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have done both these cruises. It depends what you want to do. Our best excursions have been at Belize and San Juan. It is kind of a toss up. I don't think that you can go wrong with either. Why not have a look at the excursions available. When we went to Roatan on the Dream we were unable to dock because of wind (and it didn't even seem that windy - we were told it was more difficult for the largest ships to dock there in the wind, but the smaller ones are fine). Costa Maya was one of my least favorite ports, but the others make up for it.

What ships?

I would choose Eastern personally because we have done so many western itineraries. With that being said, we love the Western ports too. You can't go wrong with either itinerary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Planning another Fall Break cruise for the family. I need input from everyone. 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, OR 7 Day Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, and Costa Maya? Which one and why? Our family consist of me and DH, Daughter (24), and Son (13). Thanks everyone!!!

Wow. That's a coin toss. I'd probably pick the Eastern itinerary, and my wife would probably pick the Western itinerary. We've done both, and had a great time on both. It just depends on what you'd enjoy most. If you're having trouble deciding, go the "Ports of Call" board on here and take a look at what people have posted about each port. One thing you'll notice is lots and lots of posts about renting a cabana at Half moon Cay. That's a very popular thing for families to do, since Half Moon Cay is a beach day. You couldn't wrong with either itinerary, and whichever one you choose, you could do the other the next time.;)

Since they are similar ships, then itinerary is the deciding factor. If your family likes beaches then half moon cay, grand turk, and st. Thomas would be great beach days on the eastern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Two great options!

The Eastern itinerary has great beaches - HMC (which is just stunning), Grand Turk (which offers plenty of shade and palm trees), St. T has Coki, Sapphire, and Magen's Bay (or, after a taxi and ferry ride, St. John has Trunk Bay, which is my absolute favorite beach), and San Juan has the forts (if you want history) or the rain forest (if you want hiking and beauty).

If you are looking for Mayan ruins, however, clearly the Western itinerary is the better option. I have been to Altun Ha (Belize) and Tulum (Cozumel), both very nice sites. Next I want to go to Xunantunich (Belize) and Coba (Cozumel). I also want to go to Uxmal and Chichen Itza (both from Progresso/Merida).

With my love of all things Mayan, I'd choose the Western itinerary.

Edited by Loving My Life

Have done Belize, Rotan, Cozumel a few times and really loved it (we always book private excursions and get sooo much more out of our visits) In September 2014 we just booked the Breeze for St Maarten, St Kitts, San Juan and Grand Turk, we have never been to any of those before so we are pretty excited! If you go to Belize to the cave tubing it is awesome! Rotan private tour and definitely snorkel (again awesome) . Cayo Costa- privately rent a dune buggy for the day, OMG we had a blast!!!!

Hope you all have a GREAT trip what ever you choose!

Have 10 cruises under our belt and prefer the western Caribbean over the eastern. We love Cozumel! We have also had really great times in Belize, Costa Maya and Costa Rica. Panama was great too... See, love the west. Eastern ports were "ok". I should give them another chance. We are stopping in Aruba for the first time in April. I had such high hopes for St. Thomas... It just didn't live up to my expectations.

So I guess it's going to be the Eastern Caribbean. One thing we don't have in Arizona is beaches. Oh and water. lol The kids really want to do islands instead of beaches. Either way....I win cause I'm going on a CRUISE!!!:)