Working on the Internet from the Dream - Surfing the Web Policies

sunshine221

This is our 11th Carnival Cruise and we've never had this problem before.

On the Dream, the WIFI is strictly for surfing the web. They must have ports blocked so that we cannot do normal work. I can use Outlook Web Access but not Outlook Anywhere (my normal Outlook), i cannot VPN or RDP to my own or clients computer and I cannot use Log Me In.

I know this is vacation but my husband and I are business consultants and we can't cruise without these key communication methods.

We did not have these issues a few months ago on the Sunshine. Is this policy unique to the Dream or on all ships. Does anyone know about other lines. This is definitely a deal breaker for us and we have upcoming trips on NCL and RCL and we will be calling them to check as soon as we are on land.

....signed...wasting my on board minutes writing this instead of working.

My experience is that you never know what to expect, day to day, cruise to cruise, cruiseline to cruiseline. When youre in the middle of the sea, you're depending on satellite communication, and there are so many variables. Passenger internet is a convenience, so it will not get much priority....the crew,afterall, has to place communication priorities on the navigation of the ship.

On my most recent cruise a few weeks ago there wasnt even anyone in charge of computers or the internet cafe. From now on I wont advance purchase more than 2 hours.