Transatlantic on Epic?

philabos

Considering the Barcelona to Miami trip in October on Epic. I haven't been on NCL since the days of the NORWAY. Since then, we have done most of our trips on Princess with a few RCCL and Carnival. I am willing to try something different but fear my wife could be disappointed compared with prior trips. My understanding is there is zero formal nights on NCL. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has sampled both Princess and NCL.

Thanks.

I've not traveled on Princess but I have taken the TA from Miami to Barcelona on the Epic twice, in 2012 and 2013. If you have any particular questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I also have write ups and highlights of both on my blog.

correct. NCL doesn't have formal nights. They DO have a couple of nights called "Norwegian Night Out" where they invite people to dress nicer if they want, but it's optional. Those are the nights when photographers are stationed around the ship, etc. If your wife is looking for a true formal night, NCL isn't for her. You're just as likely to see someone in jeans and T-shirt as you are a suit and tie.

If you are worried about other comparisons, list them here. The NCL crews are great, the food good, the entertainment and dining options are great, etc. They are similar to RCCL, CCL and Princess in many ways. I think they are most like RCCL in terms of "tone" and "feel". I still am not in tune with CCL's party ship brand and atmosphere. While NCL is relaxed, the ship are classy...especially the Epic and newer ships. Princess has an older average passenger age than RCCL and NCL, and their activities and tone reflect this (according to my parents who have sailed Princess, RCCL, and NCL extensively). What NCL does better than anybody is manage the freestyle/anytime concept. Lots of dining options that act just like land-based restaurants. Lots of varied entertainment, from main shows in the theater to "walk in and sit down" venues.

Edited by sdmike

My last Princess cruise was on the Star probably 5-6 years ago

I did the Epic TA last Oct

The attire for most dining options on the Epic is more relaxed than on Princess

only the French restaurant and the aft MDR have a dress code on Ncl.

you will see a lot of shorts during dinner on NCL

on Princess I don't think I ever saw them in the evening anywhere

On Princess you have the choice of traditional dining or anytime

on NCL it is only anytime for the 2 MDR

On Princess you can call day of and request a dining time on NCl you cant

They both hand out pager if a table is not available at the time you show up

Ncl gives you a glass of Champagne if you have to wait.

The Epic had some of the best buffet food at sea

and a Ta was the best way to enjoy all the for fee restaurants

Both have a place for good pub food

The minisuites are bigger on Princess

My complaint with the Epic is the bathroom setup

Would highly recommend Epic for a TA

Edited by jonbgd

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention we sailed Cunard twice last year and she loved it - really polar opposites. Might be a tough sell but I will give it a go. The ship looks very interesting and we like sea days - seen enough of the Caribbean. The other choice is HAL's NOORDAM which would be more like Princess but the EPIC would be a change of pace.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention we sailed Cunard twice last year and she loved it - really polar opposites. Might be a tough sell but I will give it a go. The ship looks very interesting and we like sea days - seen enough of the Caribbean. The other choice is HAL's NOORDAM which would be more like Princess but the EPIC would be a change of pace.

Wow. The comparisons to Cunard will be dangerous. I suggest not surprising her, otherwise she'll basically be comparing the Marriott to the Four Seasons the entire time