questions from my other half

advice & help please:

We are booked to go on our 1st Thomson fly cruise in June 2014

and my husband has started firing questions at me re: the flight and transfer to the ship :

he would like to know whether there will be a Thomson rep on the flight, or will we be met at Dalaman airport (before or after security)?.

He also has many questions about our luggage,such as how does it get to the ship, do we collect it and take it to the waiting coaches ourselves or will it be transferred across (like on a P&O Caribbean cruise) ;

re: the coaches will we be given tickets on the plane or will we be shown where to go when we get past security....the list of questions goes on!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've told him that we will probably get this info when the tickets arrive, but as someone with a tendency to panic he needs to know now!!!!!

advice & help please:

and my husband has started firing questions at me re: the flight and transfer to the ship :

he would like to know whether there will be a Thomson rep on the flight, or will we be met at Dalaman airport (before or after security)?.

He also has many questions about our luggage,such as how does it get to the ship, do we collect it and take it to the waiting coaches ourselves or will it be transferred across (like on a P&O Caribbean cruise) ;

re: the coaches will we be given tickets on the plane or will we be shown where to go when we get past security....the list of questions goes on!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've told him that we will probably get this info when the tickets arrive, but as someone with a tendency to panic he needs to know now!!!!!

No Thomson rep on the flight but they are at the airport - they may be before or after the baggage reclaim - but you won't miss them. They will direct cruise passengers to waiting coaches.

You do have to collect your luggage at the carousel (Thomson also take your cases straight to the ship on Caribbean cruises - but not usually at Palma, Corfu or Marmaris - it has something to do with bonded luggage in the Caribbean which allows them to do this.)

You just fill up the coaches as you arrive. Thomson have flights arriving from lots of airports so there's a constant transfer of passengers to the port. It really is quite slick - Thomson have loads of hotels in their base ports so have no shortage or reps to call on and ship's crew (like showteam members etc) all double up on changeover day so they too help direct operations. It's one thing thomson do very well!

The transfer is about 1.5 hours but we enjoyed the drive through interesting scenery especially as you approach Marmaris through the mountains. Any more questions, I'm sure someone will be able to help! :)

No 1 rule for Dalaman if you are doing a cruise only and not a cruise and stay.....

Don't buy a visa.

Go past the visa purchase desks and through the cruise passengers passport control area.

We were told on the plane by the stewardesses that EVERYONE had to buy a visa, we did so and found out later that cruise passengers don't need one.

We got the credit back on our onboard account, so it was fine in the end.

As Kruz says it's a very slick process, they are well used to doing it.

Just have you passport and debit card ready for when you arrive at Marmaris port. Debit card is better to use for your onboard account, they charge you 2.5% if you use a credit card.

Edited by joeholiday2

advice & help please:

Hi Kizzysmom,

What date are you going? We are on Celebration for the first time 16th June for 2 weeks- been on Dream twice but the Boss wanted to try another itinerary.

No 1 rule for Dalaman if you are doing a cruise only and not a cruise and stay.....

Don't buy a visa.

Go past the visa purchase desks and through the cruise passengers passport control area.

We were told on the plane by the stewardesses that EVERYONE had to buy a visa, we did so and found out later that cruise passengers don't need one.

We got the credit back on our onboard account, so it was fine in the end.

As Kruz says it's a very slick process, they are well used to doing it.

Just have you passport and debit card ready for when you arrive at Marmaris port. Debit card is better to use for your onboard account, they charge you 2.5% if you use a credit card.

Not so sure about this now Joe. The rules are changing from April 2014 & the Turkish Embassy have said:-

"Passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon the permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa. You need e-visa, if you want to tour beyond the respective port city of Turkey. As you travel to Turkey by plane, you need visa to enter Turkey. You may obtain your 90-day-multiple-entry e-visa via the web page"

It is quite ambiguous if you read the Turkish Embassy website so needs to be clarified.

This question is raised on the official Thomson Cruises facebook page and one of their team assures us that if you are going on a cruise you dont need an e visa.

The above quote was in reply to an email sent to the Turkish Embassy from someone going on a Thomson 2 week cruise this summer......who to believe?

when you book a cruise departing from turkey thomsons always put a disclaimer in red on the last page, pointing out that a turkish visa fee will be payable on entry into turkey..... they do this because they know that the turkish authorities could change their regulations at any time

at the moment the turkish authorities consider cruise passengers to be in transit so do not need a visa (and there is a separate channel for those cruise passengers to pass through at dalaman airport)...at the moment?

if you are staying in turkey (cruise & stay) you will definately need a visa

thank you for your answers hopefully it will calm him down bit (although he does seem to enjoy having something to worry about)

We're sailing on the Celebration on the 9th June..and are really looking forward to it .. all new ports and a "new" ship for us ...

thank you for your answers hopefully it will calm him down bit (although he does seem to enjoy having something to worry about)

We're sailing on the Celebration on the 9th June..and are really looking forward to it .. all new ports and a "new" ship for us ...

How long are you on for?