Crystal Cruises cancels stop for Bangkok

Cruiser Nonna

I was so disappointed to learn today from my travel agent that our ship Crystal Symphony sailing 3/26 will not be overnighting 3/30-3/31 for Bangkok due to the fact that the Thai government declared a 60-day state of emergency and the US State Department issued a Travel Alert- thus they have cancelled this major stop.

I contacted the tour operator that was to have picked us up from port of Laem Chabang for our tour and then we were overnighting in Bangkok and he felt that this was not justified at this time. He had reported that recently Celebrity and Holland America had been in port and Bangkok and had encountered no problems.

I think I am very surprised that they would make this major change 2 months before arrival and before the election 2/2 would have hoped they would have waited at least until 30days prior - but of course safety of the passengers is of the utmost concern. So Bangkok is not to be - has anyone else found this with upcoming cruises?

We're booked on the Seabourn Sojourn, due to overnight at Laem Chabang on 26/27 March. So far we haven't heard about any changes, and the itinerary on the website still shows it as booked. When we talked about this with friends, we expected a decision after the election on 2nd February.

If there is a change, I'll be sure to post back here.

Out of interest, which port has Crystal replaced Bangkok with?

Thank you for your information - I thought just like you - that it would be after the elections and very surprised - received another note from the private tour company and they are "shocked" as they would not have expected this at this time.

The new itinerary includes a day on Koh Samui,Thailand and Sihanoukville, Cambodia (which was never my intent) and then has also added additional day in Ho Chi Minh City - so instead of 3 days there - we will now be 4 in Ho Chi Minh City and also stop in Chan May.

This will really be hard to accept if all other cruises continue to make the stop - so please do post and appreciate your time. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for your information - I thought just like you - that it would be after the elections and very surprised - received another note from the private tour company and they are "shocked" as they would not have expected this at this time.

The new itinerary includes a day on Koh Samui,Thailand and Sihanoukville, Cambodia (which was never my intent) and then has also added additional day in Ho Chi Minh City - so instead of 3 days there - we will now be 4 in Ho Chi Minh City and also stop in Chan May.

This will really be hard to accept if all other cruises continue to make the stop - so please do post and appreciate your time. Enjoy your cruise!

My solution-NOT much in Bangkok compared to other areas. Take your days in Sihanoukville and go to Angkor Wat in Siem Reap even if it means FLYING from Siem Reap to Saigon (takes away one of the extra Saigon days). IF you haven't been to Phnom Penh, you haven't lived. TRULY the WILD WEST-one of my two favorite places in the world-other is Homer Alaska. Such disparity but so much alike underneath. I spent a good portion of 3 years getting an old apartment building in Phnom Penh converted from a junk old apt bldg to a boutique hotel. So have spent considerable time in Cambodia and Vietnam for business.

Truly, I don't think you are missing much by not going to Bangkok. You want any more suggestions, please ask. I have spent considerable time in that side of the world for business.

Thank you so much for posting and the additional information. Angkor Wat is going to be offered but out of one of the stops in Ho Chi Minh City.

I know that it will be a great cruise no matter what - and appreciate your offer of help

If you have any desire to go to Angkor Wat, it is VERY easy to do on your own (and will save you a tremendous amount of money over the ship sponsored tour plus you get to see what you want WHEN you want it). From Shinoukville, it is about a 4 hour ride into Phnom Penh. Then there are flights, buses, private transport to Siem Reap (which by road is about 4 hours-night in Phnom Penh recommended) But my favorite way to get from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap is the fast boat up the Mekong and across the Tonle Sap. You REALLY get to see some of the country.

AND when you are ready to leave Siem Reap, there are nonstop flight from Siem Reap to Saigon just about every hour, except every fligth doesn't fly every day of the week. But between Cambodia Angkor Air and Vietnam Airlines, I am sure you can find a flight back to Saigon on your own that works in your time frame. ANY of the good hotels in both Cambodia and Saigon will arrange airport pickup, tours, direct you to restaurants, etc. etc. IF you do it on your own (or even with the cruise line tour where you will definitely miss out on a lot of the "good stuff"), you MUST get your own Cambodia and Vietnam visa. The ship issued visas are no good except for very limited shore trips and are no good for flights. If you need more help, please advise.

Here is the current airline non stop schedule from Siem Reap to Saigon.

Siem Reap, Cambodia (REP) to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (SGN)

10:10 am

11:10 am

Cambodia Angkor Air 808

S

M

T

W

-

F

S

REP-SGN

10:10 am