Mariner Benefits in linked booking

cruise_bunnies

Dear People,

I read that if you have different mariner star pax in 1 cabin, the highest star benefits count for all. How does it work when you have a linked booking, aka 2 cabins for 4 people.

I'm asking this because if my parents join us (which I sincerely hope), I don't want them to eat in the buffet on embarkation day. Due to her food allergies, this isn't an option for my mom. Since it's her first cruise, she doesn't qualify for the mariner lunch in the MDR and asking her to eat her first lunch room service is kind of awkward.

Can anybody clear this up?

cruise_bunnies

Wait. So on a buffet, you're on your own? Wow. I'm definitely spoiled to DCL where a chef will walk you through the buffet, point out what you can and can't have, and then make you up a totally clean plate in the back so there is no risk of contamination.

Wait. So on a buffet, you're on your own? Wow. I'm definitely spoiled to DCL where a chef will walk you through the buffet, point out what you can and can't have, and then make you up a totally clean plate in the back so there is no risk of contamination.

Well, I think you are on your own. I spoke to a person on our last cruise, and she stated that indeed, you should announce to the chef that you are there, they will state what you can and can't eat, but there was no mention of it being made in the back. So I assumed that you should just put it on your plate. The risk of contamination is too high for us.

Besides that, the list I just filled in with gluten free meals states that those meals will only be served in the MDR. So I kind of assumed that either way, the buffet is out for us.

Well, I think you are on your own. I spoke to a person on our last cruise, and she stated that indeed, you should announce to the chef that you are there, they will state what you can and can't eat, but there was no mention of it being made in the back. So I assumed that you should just put it on your plate. The risk of contamination is too high for us.

Besides that, the list I just filled in with gluten free meals states that those meals will only be served in the MDR. So I kind of assumed that either way, the buffet is out for us.

Gotcha. Good to know these things in advance (for me).

Don't take my word for gospel - I will report back once we sailed how things went.

Thanks. :) Not a huge deal for me. Mine is only peanuts and only if I directly ingest them (and so far just itching and wheezing as a result, so I can thus far get by with only Benadryl - the blood test was negative, but I know what I've experienced), so those are pretty easily avoided. I'm just spoiled to Disney (cruiseline AND parks) being hyper wonderful about allergies, so it was kind of surprising. :)

Thanks. :) Not a huge deal for me. Mine is only peanuts and only if I directly ingest them (and so far just itching and wheezing as a result, so I can thus far get by with only Benadryl - the blood test was negative, but I know what I've experienced), so those are pretty easily avoided. I'm just spoiled to Disney (cruiseline AND parks) being hyper wonderful about allergies, so it was kind of surprising. :)

Very used to what we in the family call 'the Disney way'. Let's just suffice to say that they saved more than one trip, literally were part of saving my life and made some amazing friends for life. I get the being spoiled and I was beyond spoiled rotten within their normal level of customer care.

Can only speak of experience on the ms Rotterdam with HAL, but when it comes to diets for health reasons in one word? Perfect. My diet is restricting in both timing, type of food, preparation but even more so it's unpredictability (what I can consume can and does change per day or even hour) and get more restriction through other medical stuff and some allergies and intolerances.

On a recent 14 night ate at the main dining room as little as twice, once a collectors voyage rijsttafel lunch and a diner. Rest all ended up being the Lido buffet, ended up fitting my needs and want best. All dining facilities could deal with my diet, no biggie.

Did take me being communicative about it but that's just common sense imho. Loads of curb balls along the way as part of my diet issues, but nothing that even made anyone blink. Instead it was taken as a positive challenge. In altering menu actually the Lido ended up being more flexible, but suspect that highly having to do with them having to be more flexible to begin with. Where known I would let main dining room know about alterations needed within 24 min 12 hours out (apart from them having the general info already) for that days menu, which you confirm again when dining. Lido; no such thing and yet food would be done much faster at Lido. Some moments did end up in chefs making something up off menu, which was no problem as long as supplies were available in one of the kitchens.

I did eat around peak moments though, where possible. Simply common sense for my diet and other needs.

The constant curb balls in my diet/health is a constant challenge for even medical professionals, to such an extent many have gone "just give up that last part of consuming you still do and go on 100% tube feeding". No thank you, if not needed. I obviously have my back up supplies with me on a cruise so I can up my tube feedings where need be, but no curb ball was too challenging for the chefs. As all crew servers and chefs out in the Lido very quickly get to know the routines, likes etc of their guests and they seem to be a bit more on top of it even when it comes to a nice change to their daily work. Within no time I would have chefs and 2 particular servers on the look out for me, already armed with the knowledge what my options where that moment on menu, knowing what they could fall back on off menu and soon being able to identify small signs which would tell them what type of day I had before even speaking. The more the cruise went on, the more they started coming up with options based upon earlier things I loved. I ended up gaining weight that cruise, a whole pound. Any vacation resulting in a leveled weight is already big, so you can imagine how this one went over. :D Or to put it in WDW terms; I usually loose a couple of pounds there.

Personal taste results in me liking DCL's buffet and dining rooms (incl. rotation, only dislike no free dining) a bit more than HAL's, but that really is based on taste. Both have been excellent in not only dealing with my dietary and health requirements but going beyond that.

Can only speak of experience on the ms Rotterdam with HAL, but when it comes to diets for health reasons in one word? Perfect. <extensive experience>

Selma, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. We will be sailing the ms Rotterdam as well. For some reason the junk folder ate my notification that somebody posted here.

I'm so glad you are doing so well on your cruises and I wish you many happy sailings. We have already received notification that everything is in order for my mom and her diet. I'm feeling more and more relieved about this - I always tend to get a bit nervous when it's me arranging things, as I feel responsible.

I really appreciate everybody chipping in and sharing stories.