Couple of Getaway ?? Please.

kimala

We're going on the Getaway May 3rd. I have a couple of questions,

1) Lobster night, Is it true that they don't serve Lobster in the MDR but they are doing it in the buffet? I would expect a mob scene there!!! Also I wonder how they can keep up with putting the lobster tails out as I'm sure people would go crazy placing several on their dish at a time.

2)Is Getaway going to have something like the Sabret hot dog cart on board? I realize that that was in keeping with the NY theme on Breakaway and that Getaway has a Miami theme. Just wondering maybe there will be a taco stand.??.

Dear Kimala,

Although you obviously associate Miami with its thriving Latino community and culture, you seem to be a bit confused as to where tacos come from.

Tacos come from Mexico! Successful and entrepreneurial Mexican families make up a large percentage of the population of California. That is on the West coast of the United States, and adjacent to Mexico, hence the migration.

NCL does not have a ship with a Los Angeles theme just yet. THAT ship might have a taco stand.

Now, about Miami... Miami's Latino community is made up mostly of third generation Cubans, Venezuelans, Colombians, Argentinians, Peruvians, Guatemalans, Chileans, etc. You see what's going on here? NOT ONE TACO IN SIGHT!

I understand your confusion, since Hollywood usually portrays all Latinos as Mexican. After all, Hollywood is in California, so can you blame them?

However, Mexicans are the true and only taco masters!

In Miami you will find all kinds of restaurants expressing the rich geographical gastronomic diversity of all of Central and South America. And don't forget Spain! (no tacos there either.) This includes everything from chorizos, to Argentinian and Brazilian steak (check out Moderno on NCL), to arepas and world renown Chilean wines.

To help you in your quest to become better oriented as far as food goes, I invite you to try the Cuban-styled "cafeteria" Flamingo Bar & Grill on the NCL Getaway. Although not representative of ALL the nationalities and flavors found in Miami, it will introduce you to some tasty treats and yummy eats.

Alas, no tacos will be had. None at all.

Happy sailing!

We're going on the Getaway May 3rd. I have a couple of questions,

1) Lobster night, Is it true that they don't serve Lobster in the MDR but they are doing it in the buffet? I would expect a mob scene there!!! Also I wonder how they can keep up with putting the lobster tails out as I'm sure people would go crazy placing several on their dish at a time.

2)Is Getaway going to have something like the Sabret hot dog cart on board? I realize that that was in keeping with the NY theme on Breakaway and that Getaway has a Miami theme. Just wondering maybe there will be a taco stand.??.

Since the Getaway has not yet sailed her first regular Eastern Caribbean voyage, people can only guess at the answer to the first question. We will probably have to wait until the regular routes start to find out where/when/and if lobster will be served.

As for the second part, I nearly spit out my drink when I read that taco comment. I think the previous poster said it all.

On the Breakaway, lobster was served in the buffet on the second night, and it was a mob scene. A LONG line all the way down the buffet, and they were only handing out one per passenger! Lobster is not served buffet style, too many fights would break out. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The OP is from Brandenton,Florida

Not far from the epicenter of Cuban life on the WEST coast of Florida, Ybor City.perhaps she knows just as much about the demographics of the Sunshine State as do her detractors. Perhaps she herself is a wise Latina... Point is that we don' t know, do we?...

I really don' t think she deserved the lecture about Mexicans vs Cubans. Or the geography and labor lecture.

Please.

Can people stop being so offended by little comments?

I can only imagine if she had said" will they have a Cuban Sandwich and cigar cart"?

" let me tell you, not all Cuban people sell sandwiches. How outrageous that you should make such a comment about the hard working Cuban immigrants."

Blah blah blah

Having lived in Miami and married to a Miami born and educated man... There are plenty of Tacos in Miami . Lots of baklava, knishes, waffles, sushi, crepes.....kielbasa, hamburgers.......

Edited by DrNora

No cart of any sort - no hot dogs, no tacos, no hummus, etc. Instead, the Flamingo Bar & Grill (which is a semi-outdoor venue) offers Cuban/Latin-inspired dishes, with the standouts being the stuffed potato balls, chicken croquettes, and tres leches cake.

Here's the menu:

IMG_3888.JPG

Hope that helps.

No cart of any sort - no hot dogs, no tacos, no hummus, etc. Instead, the Flamingo Bar & Grill (which is a semi-outdoor venue) offers Cuban/Latin-inspired dishes, with the standouts being the stuffed potato balls, chicken croquettes, and tres leches cake.

Here's the menu:

IMG_3888.JPG

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for posting this!! I've been wondering what the options were at the Flamingo, ever since hearing the theme. Yum!

Now I just have to find that cigar cart. ;)

The OP is from Brandenton,Florida

Not far from the epicenter of Cuban life on the WEST coast of Florida, Ybor City.perhaps she knows just as much about the demographics of the Sunshine State as do her detractors. Perhaps she herself is a wise Latina... Point is that we don' t know, do we?...

I really don' t think she deserved the lecture about Mexicans vs Cubans. Or the geography and labor lecture.

Please.

Can people stop being so offended by little comments?

I can only imagine if she had said" will they have a Cuban Sandwich and cigar cart"?

Thanks for coming to my rescue. I really wasn't sure how to take that reply myself?? I was just trying to be funny and lighthearted. I myself am only 2nd generation American. all my grandparents came to this country from Greece thru Ellis Island. I love all people's and certainly all food Tacos, rice and beans, spanakopita...LOL, It's all good! Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention.

"

Here's the menu:

IMG_3888.JPG

Hope that helps.

Thank you NOW that's what I'm talkin about!!!

Dear Kimala (and everyone who took offense to my perceived offense),

Although tacos can be found in South Florida, they are not the staple that hot dog carts are in NYC. I was trying to explain why a taco stand might not be found anywhere on the NCL Getaway (or a chimichanga cart, or a flautas cart, etc.) That is ALL I was trying to say, albeit with a dose of sarcasm and condescension thrown in for fun.

I was not particularly offended by your comment, and no offense was intended in my reply.

Now...

The forums on CruiseCritic are ripe with anger, aggression, hostility, and a general bad attitude.

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD LIGHTEN UP AND CRUISE MORE OFTEN!!!! :)

Although tacos can be found in South Florida, they are not the staple that hot dog carts are in NYC. I was trying to explain why a taco stand might not be found anywhere on the NCL Getaway (or a chimichanga cart, or a flautas cart, etc.) That is ALL I was trying to say, albeit with a dose of sarcasm and condescension thrown in for fun.

I was not particularly offended by your comment, and no offense was intended in my reply.

Now...

The forums on CruiseCritic are ripe with anger, aggression, hostility, and a general bad attitude.

YOU PEOPLE SHOULD LIGHTEN UP AND CRUISE MORE OFTEN!!!! :)

How funny!!! I love it. No problem at all. Did you say you've been on the Getaway? How did you like it if so. We are going May 3rd. Really looking forward to it, Tacos or no Tacos!! LOL.

As someone who is a big fan of bagel vendors in NYC, I'm offended that you would say that hot dog carts are staples. Where is the bagel love??!! ;)

This thread makes me hungry. All threads on CC make me hungry.

On the Breakaway, lobster was served in the buffet on the second night, and it was a mob scene. A LONG line all the way down the buffet, and they were only handing out one per passenger! Lobster is not served buffet style, too many fights would break out. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to divert this thread away from Getaway but on Breakaway they are now back to surf & turf on the first night in the DR's and no longer at the Garden Cafe night 2.

They have also rolled out some wonderful new menus and even new lunch menus....currently on Breakaway only but after final finetuning they are expected to go on Getaway.

Also the DR menus are not all the same - noticeable differences and also a new special dish of the day.

Delicious items like prime rib, duck, escargots cassoulet starter, steak tartar, and since it was a 12 nighter we got to sample extra menus that culminated in last evening's chateaubriand! Very impressed with the changes and hope they go fleetwide!

• 2 months later...