Which ship?? Ecstacy, Fascination or Sensation

11jrob11

Hello everyone,

I am looking to book a short cruise to the Bahamas. Not sure which ship to go on and looking for what people think.

Once I figure out which Carnival ship then I need to compare with RC and Norwegian.

I have read reviews but don't trust all of them. You can have 2 people on the same cruise, 1 will love it and 1 will hate it.

I was on the Legend 2 summers ago and I know these are the older ships and different size.

Thanks for all the "hopeful responses" :)

These three ships are of the Fantasy Class--they were built with the same layout. We enjoyed every cruise taken on Carnival Ecstasy. Yes, these are smaller, older ships than most in the fleet now, but they have great crews and staff, wonderful food and service, the entertainment is top notch, and you get the full cruise experience. It is just easier to learn you way around and get from one place to the other.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise, no matter which ship you choose. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

I know they are all the Fantasy class ships so they technically are the same ship. Looking for what people think about the different ships especially if they have been on a few of them.

For about $30-40 more, I can book a 4 days on the Fascination compared to a 3 day on the Ecstacy and Sensation.

Strongly leaning toward the Fascination since it is cheap to get the extra day

Only been on the fascination once and loved it so much we booked another with 2 extra days :) I always say there are 3 types of people who will give the fascination a bad review: Those who are too picky, those who are cruising for the first time and have too high expectations, and those who are cruising Carnival for the first time & compare it to other ships in other lines. I think you should step on to each new ship with no or low expectations and you will have a great time!

I've been on the Fascination twice and Ecstasy once. The Fascination crew was incredibly friendly and service orientated. The rooms are smaller than the Legend and don't have sofas. They are workable but I would not put more than two people in a room. We usually book a balcony on bigger ships but stick to oceanview on the Fantasy class ships. The balconies are a much higher price and you get a tiny balcony and nothing else - no sofa or bigger room, etc.

In your case, I would focus on the length of the cruise and the ports. Half Moon Cay is a great beach stop. Carnival provides lunch on the island and there are activities besides just beach time.

Jacksonville is an easy port to cruise out of but very industrial looking. Miami will be busier but nothing compares to a sail away in Miami with everyone parked on the causeway honking and waving.

It would come down to length of cruise. I would want at least 4 days ideally 5 and the ports. Good luck!

Sailed on Ecstasy in 2012 and on Fascination in 2013. Although they are the same ship "layout" I liked the Fascination better. It seemed like they had updated that ship more recently. Also the port at Jacksonville was so much easier get to and to embark and disembark from. I would pay the extra $ for an extra day on the Fascination.

The Fantasy class ships are virtually the same. If the itineraries are different, I'd look at that. (I try to avoid Freeport at all costs and also want to go to a private island so I look at that)

That being said, I love the Fascination. I have been on her twice and love the people, I like cruising from Jacksonville, and I love the Nassau/Half Moon Cay (or even Stirrup Cay now) itinerary.

We love cruising out of Jax because it's so easy to drive to from our house. 6 easy hours, and we're there.

It's also usually the cheaper of the 3. We just booked a 5 day for September. An aft extended balcony for a ridiculously low price. (Probably because it's hurricane season... but we don't skeer easy!)

All three ships are the same, I have done them all. The airport from Port Can. is a hike. This will be an extra cost for you, more than Jax. I think the service is outstanding on the Fascination. I just got off the Sensation today, also very good but you will not have the opportunity to go the Half Moon Cay on that ship. I vote for the Fascination since I have been on it 5 times.

I don't have much to really contribute, since I've yet to sail on any of these ships..but I AM going on the Fascination in a couple weeks. I'm SO excited to see that everyone on here has had nothing but good things to say about this ship. Can't wait to try her out!

I would pay the extra $30-40 for the additional day..seems like a good deal.

We have found the Ecstasy to be better maintained and a friendlier, more efficient crew as compared to the Sensation. Have not been on the Fascination, but have been planning too. We like the Fantasy class ships.

The ports are different and since you're flying, you should consider the ease of airport transfers.

Itinerary is also different. You can go to Key West and Cozumel on the Ecstasy. I prefer that to the Nassau cruises.

Having said the above, they will all give you a fun cruise experience!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It looks like the Fascination may be the choice. I like hearing many good things about the ship from fellow cruisers.

Now to start looking for airfare

That's always the fun part! Airfare is actually why we ended up choosing the Fascination..we were originally booked on the Victory out of Miami for the same dates, but airfare from NYC to Miami was over $500p/p round trip whereas NYC to JAX was only about $250p/p round trip.

We're staying at the Best Western Jacksonville Airport - they have a free shuttle from the airport, and I believe they also offer transfer to the port if you pay for the cruise package (which we didn't - the price we got for the standard rate was waaayyy cheaper than the cruise package - we're simply taking a taxi).

Edited by Dare2Believe

• 5 months later...

I personally think it all depends on how long you want to go. The Ecstasy does 3-4 day cruises, while the Fascination does 4-5 days, and the Sensation does 3-5 days. Miami is a wonderful city, I'm actually here right now to visit family for a whole month. I would definitely try to go to Key Biscayne! It is not far from Downtown and is so much better than Miami Beach in my opinion.

I've been on all 3. Once on Sensation, I think 3 times on Ecstacy and 4 on Fascination. I would go with Ecstacy or Sensation. My hubby and I have decided never to go on Fascination again. We keep trying to love it because the Jacksonville port is so convenient but it's been the most disoragnized embarkation/debarkation experiences that we've had. We've only ever cruised Carnival and have done 11 so far and have loved the process on all the other cruises we've been on. I don't know why but for us, Jacksonville has always taken hrs to debark. Our last cruise on the Fascination in May, even with platinum debarkation took us until 11am to get off the ship.When you have a 10 hr drive, it's too long! Other ports, we are always off by 9:30 at the latest. I will say that the last time was slightly more organized though. The staff were more informed and passed on the information to us at least. Even the shuttle drivers made comments about how frustrating it is because they get delayed all the time. We were an hour late getting in the ship too because of the delay with debarkation on the cruise before us. If you aren't in a hurry to get off though, there isn't anything wrong with the ship and we enjoyed our time on it.