noise from pool deck on Alaska cruise?

arielsong88

We're sailing on the Century for a Hubbard glacier cruise at the end of May. We decided on an inside cabin, since the price was really good and we don't care about having a balcony, and I selected a mid-ship cabin on the penthouse deck (cabin 1047). I'm now having second thoughts about being under the pool deck because of the potential for noise. I originally thought that since it is an Alaskan cruise, it will be cold and the pool deck is not likely to get much use (since the pool is not covered). But I didn't think about the crew setting out chairs every morning. Should I keep this cabin? Move down to a deck with only cabins above me? It's my husband's first cruise (and I'm a much heavier sleeper than he is), so I want him to be able to get enough sleep and enjoy his trip. Thanks, everyone!!!

Edited by arielsong88

Take the lower deck with cabins above as long as it is otherwise acceptable to you. We've had cabins under the pool deck on other ships, not the Century. And while the noise wasn't bad it was noticeable enough that we'd prefer a different location if everything else was more or less equal.

People will be on the pool deck for sunning (it does happen) or for viewing through the large windows as the windows area on that deck offers protection from the wind if it is cold.

Here is a photo of people out on deck on our one Alaskan Cruise while viewing a glacier (from our days before Celebrity):

P1000803e-w-M.jpg

Edited by Lsimon

To clarify -- people using it during the day is less of the issue since I doubt we'll spend much time in our cabin, but rather will there be noise from above late at night or very early due to chairs moving? With so many (expensive!) penthouse, royal, and sky suites across the hall, surely those cabins wouldn't be placed under the pool if there was insufferable noise at night?:confused:

...will there be noise from above late at night...

Again, I haven't been at that location on Century so I don't know if it is different from the other ships where I have. But the noise that we noticed was early AM. On most ships they tend to clean the decks very early, before sunrise, and then get the chairs out. We've also experienced the faint noise of people running across the deck for one reason or another.

If you have a reason you like that location then stick with it. If not and an equally nice location is available that doesn't have the open deck above then switch.

If I wanted to choose another cabin, would I need to cancel the current booking and rebook into a new cabin? I probably can't switch cabins and keep the price locked in, huh?

You can keep your current booking including price and benefits if you are transferring into the same category. I'd do this on the phone and not on line.

I find it an oddity in cruise ships that the higher up yo go the more expensive the cabins often are. For example really wanted AQ class on the S ships but from the information many of them along with the suites and bigger cabins are directly below common areas of the ship which have got to be noisy. That's now a major concern in booking a cruise. I found my AQ class but made sure there was a cabin above us.

We have done the cruse twice, once on the Mercury and once on the Millennium . Both were the last of May. There was no water in the pool on either cruise. the air temp. was never higher than 65 deg. F. I don't think you will have to concern yourself with noise from the pool deck as very few will be out there moving around.

We have done the cruse twice, once on the Mercury and once on the Millennium . Both were the last of May. There was no water in the pool on either cruise. the air temp. was never higher than 65 deg. F. I don't think you will have to concern yourself with noise from the pool deck as very few will be out there moving around.

It never occurred to me that there may not be water in the pool!:eek: