How do you spot a first time cruiser?

lisajxoxo

A new cruiser will be the first person at the life boat drill

Sorry I have to disagree with this, they will probably be the one with the confused look on their face trying to find their way to their respective life boat drill station. Ships can be quite confusing to find your way around to the first time cruiser. :)

Easy, one of two ways:

1. They are using those walkie talkies, yelling into them because their family member on the other end can't hear them and running around the ship in order to get better reception.

OR

2. Using those Purell Hand Sanitizers on their hands. Especially since those commonly bought alcohol sanitizers don't work in killing the Norovirus which can destroy any cruiser's vacation.

A new cruiser will follow the color coded procedure on disembarkation day.

A new cruiser will be the first person at the life boat drill

:rolleyes:

In my experience, I think both of those are the exact opposite.

There really should be a "how do you spot an experienced cruiser?" thread. Because they can do some funny things too and are easy to spot.

Liked, an experienced cruiser will follow the colour coded procedure on disembarkation day because s/he needs to spend every minute possible onboard the ship, taking advantage of every single possible amenity available to them, and has everything perfectly timed to the minute for getting off the ship and at the airport to make their 11:00AM flight.

and...an experienced cruiser will be the first person at the life boat drill because they want the seats closest to the exit so they can get out quicker and get to the elevator first.

;)

My spin is the last person to the drill is first person out-I usually get there 5 mins after the stated time--

As far as disembarkation, unless you wait until the very end, I see it getting very crowded, which makes me inclined to want to be among the first to leave

I would agree with those that say it's not obvious who is a first time cruiser! I was thinking of saying, "when they see the Captain, they ask who is steering the boat," but I've seen experienced cruisers make that same lame joke. :-)

I can spot an inexperienced cruiser on these boards...they come here to complain AFTER their cruise without every consulting this board for research BEFORE their cruise!

They are the ones tripping over the raised doorways or wearing there life jackets to the drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When I first read this thread, I was thinking you cant tell a newbie from an experienced cruiser. But this one is very true! Admit, I wore the life jacket my first cruise!!! Even have a picture :o

Edited by DISNEY1975

Lifejackets haven't been required at drills for years now. You can certainly try to wear one if you want to, but you'll look terribly out of place and crew will remind you that it's unnecessary. Part of the reason why the lifejacket requirement was done away with had to do with safety concerns. Ironically, bringing your lifejacket to a drill can be dangerous if done carelessly. Back in the days when it was necessary, a lot of passengers used to let the lifejacket straps drag across the deck, creating trip hazards.

15 min. prior to the drill they'll make an announcement over the ship's PA system explaining what the drill is, why it is necessary, and a rundown of the various assembly stations. At the commencement of the drill, they'll sound the General Emergency Alarm (7 short and 1 long blast).

Personally, I do not give a tinker's damn how out of place I look. To the other new cruiser who posted, by all means wear it. Barnacle_boy raises an excellent point, though - take five or ten minutes to read the directions and do a test fit beforehand, so you won't be wearing it improperly and thereby be a hazard at the muster. Likewise, a bit of looking around beforehand to know where the assembly areas is will make it easier to find it when the exercise is held.

Don't ever let anyone call you down for taking an active interest in drills and knowledge that may make a difference if sh*t goes sideways.

They complain that the staterooms are too small because they have 4 empty suitcases on the side of the bed and can't move in the room.

Or they get out of the stateroom with their life jackets on to go to the drill.

They say "boat", and "who drives this thing", or think towel animals are souvenir and want to bring them back.

Or are not aware they have to get up at 6 o'clock and go put a towel to reserve a lounger by the pool ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

On our last cruise our room steward made a mouse out of a wash cloth and put it in a coffee cup. We brought home the mouse and the cup! :p