8:55am flight from SJ to home cutting it too close?

thetallone101

I'm looking at flight options and we can either leave @ 7:30am (wouldn't make that flight in time), 8:55am or closer to 1pm on debarkation day. We've never cruised out of SJ before and this is our first time on Celebrity so I'm not sure how fast the process is with that cruise line.

Any insight into us trying to make an 8:55am flight when the ship docks @ 6am?

Ask Celebrity about their add on for air. If they give you that flight as an option then I would say it's a viable option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Forums mobile app

Earliest add on air for Celebrity Summit is 1130. Making an 0855 flight would be very unlikely.

I would not book a flight that early from SJU, and I am one of those people that the cruise is over I want to get off the ship as soon as possible and get home. The one time we have cruised from San Juan, we had a 12:25 flight and BARELY made it! The lines to go through security and customs were unbelievable. Now, this was on a Sunday, Saturdays could possible be better. We are sailing out of San Juan again in March and have booked another 12:25 flight, I would not consider anything earlier.

I'm a pretty brave flyer and often opt for earlier flights. However, I would absolutely not book an 8:55 am flight. The last time we flew out of San Juan, we left the ship with the first group at 07:30, took a taxi to the airport, did the agriculture inspection (required), made it through security very quickly, and were seated at our departure gate at 9:00. This was with no dawdling anywhere. An 8:55 flight usually means the plane is rolling down the runway at 8:55. They will mostly start boarding a good twenty minutes before departure time and closing the doors on the plane before 08:55. I'd be surprised if they actually let you off the ship at 6am.

I'd say anything after 10:30 would be a very safe bet, but 8:55 is too risky. The security lines can be quite long and slow in San Juan. The earlier you get there, the shorter they are.

Edited by MDSue

we have flown many times in and out of SJ. I would never take a chance and book a flight out of there before 1100 .just getting off the ship,there are too many variables. You may get to leave the ship on time but there is no guarantee how quickly you will locate your luggage and how much difficulty you may have with customs or how long the lines will be. Normally they don't even let you off the ship before 8 as the ship has to clear customs itself. They don't recommend you book a flight any earlier than 10.

Security at the airport can be another obstacle once you make it there. Doesn't make any difference if it is only 20 minutes to the airport. You will have to have your luggage tagged and inspected by the FDA in addition to security. So I would not even take the chance. :D

Edited by Caribbeancruzin

Just got off the Summit yesterday. First group off the ship at 7:30, although you cans self debark with all your bags at 7:00. Found our bag, went through customs and got a taxi. Were at the airport, through agriculture stop, check in, security and at our gate by 8:00. Not sure if this is typical.

-Kristi

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were in the last group off the ship on our last sail out of San Juan. We disembarked slightly before 10 a.m.

I would never presume that you would make a 8:55 a.m. flight, especially if you are flying internationally. It's recommended that you be at the AP 2 hours before your flight. Do you honestly think you can be there by 6:55? Your ship probably isn't even scheduled to arrive until 7. You have clear customs at the docks, find your bags & deal with traffic. One screw up -- one customs official has a cold or is late for work that day . . . you have now missed your flight. Plus you then have to check in, go through an agricultural screening process & TSA. SJU is one of the most inefficient screwed up APs I've ever been through & we fly in & out of the NY metro area. O'Hare, Hartsfield in Atlanta & Charles De Gaul in France aren't as bad as SJU

There is a reason the cruise lines tell you not to book before 1 or 5 hours after your scheduled arrival time.

If you do it, or if you just want to get through Customs much, much faster- get one of the numerous porters. The porters seemed to all go through a special line and get waved through Customs at a rate of 2-5x faster than the regular pax all in line on their own. Worth the tip $ to the porters for sure.

We won't make the mistake of doing it on our own again. We were one of the last groups getting off the ship and it took forever.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a pretty brave flyer and often opt for earlier flights. However, I would absolutely not book an 8:55 am flight. The last time we flew out of San Juan, we left the ship with the first group at 07:30, took a taxi to the airport, did the agriculture inspection (required), made it through security very quickly, and were seated at our departure gate at 9:00. This was with no dawdling anywhere. An 8:55 flight usually means the plane is rolling down the runway at 8:55. They will mostly start boarding a good twenty minutes before departure time and closing the doors on the plane before 08:55. I'd be surprised if they actually let you off the ship at 6am.

I'd say anything after 10:30 would be a very safe bet, but 8:55 is too risky. The security lines can be quite long and slow in San Juan. The earlier you get there, the shorter they are.

Ditto this! We were just off the Summit in San Juan a few weeks back. While we weren't among the first off the ship when we first pulled into port, we self debarked around 8am and it was approximately 9am by the time we checked into our flights and went through security/customs and waiting at our gate. It was starting to get pretty busy at the airport right after we arrived and the lines were really starting to form at that point.

I'm looking at flight options and we can either leave @ 7:30am (wouldn't make that flight in time), 8:55am or closer to 1pm on debarkation day. We've never cruised out of SJ before and this is our first time on Celebrity so I'm not sure how fast the process is with that cruise line.

Any insight into us trying to make an 8:55am flight when the ship docks @ 6am?

Relax and take the 1:00 flight, Puerto Rico's Airport is notorious for massive delays, and there are often delays clearing the ship and big lines for customs at the dock.

• 2 weeks later...

Take the 1:00. We have done the san juan departure a couple of times and the airport can be a challenging experience. Depending on the ships in port, the time of the year (spring break, holidays), day of the week (sunday). You can have a real delay that you cannot fix. I know most flights are fairly full and we have had times where it took till 11:30 or 12:00 to get to the gate, due to the heavy volume.

While the agricultural screening is a pain, its usually the volume of the check in, and mainly the TSA screening that are the biggest delays. A lot of people get there early for later flights and take a lot of time at check-in trying to get on earlier flights. Plus the hassle of bringing back extra stuff like booze and other purchases from their trip. If a high number of flights are leaving from one concourse, that screening area can be really overwhelmed.

Friends were late, bumped by standby people there early, and had to pay hotel and food till next day flight. We love the itinerary, but don't enjoy the wait at the airport.

Just like those who go a day early into San Juan to avoid the hassles, we agree with those who suggest taking a mid day flight and not getting put into a position where it will put a damper on a great trip.

Edited by Nick55
Spelling

Being a local and having actually worked at the airport some years ago I can tell you that rush hour for flights at SJU is from 10:30am to 1pm, then from 4pm to 7pm. You will sometimes see lines of 4-6 planes waiting to take off during these times. If you get to the airport during rush hour you WILL find long lines everywhere! There's no way you will make an 8:55am flight. Even 10am is cutting it a bit too close, regardless the 15-20min. ride from the piers.

We got off the Summit yesterday at 8h00 AM exactly, despite the fact our tags said we should get off at 7h15 AM. We use carry on luggage only so didn't have to look for it in the pile nor worry about AG inspection and checking luggage at the airport. Hopped a taxi for $23 with 2 small carry on suitcases. We had checked in on-line but still needed to print boarding passes. Using the Global Entry TSA pre-approved line we were actually sitting at our gate by 8h35.

Even though we used the pre-approved line we were surprised how empty the airport was at that hour.