Hotel in LA?

bzv143

Thanks, Kendall!

Coming in a day or 2 early; not much I want to see in LA; would like a good neighborhood with walking potential & close to the ship so the cab fare will not be sky high; would like a new hotel or a funky hotel with character & sex appeal.

oy. "new", "funky", etc are mutually exclusive terms when it comes to l.a. county harbor hotels. santa monica has some cool places, but not "cab friendly" to the port. long beach has the hyatt regency which is not new nor funky. san pedro has zilch. nada. squat. zip.

long beach would be my choice because of the proximity of good restaurants, shorline village, the aquarium, etc. belmont shores is nice too. other than that i'm out of ideas. wish i could be of more help.

we're staying at the Westing Long Beach. From what others have posted there are places you can walk to, and the pier isn't too far away so cab fare wont be sky high..

another hotel is the Hyatt. This one is in the same general area as the Westing but is closer to the pier.

If you to go google and type into the search field, "long beach hotels" or "long beach maps" you can get a better idea of hotels and the area in which you will be staying.

It'll be San Pedro if you want to be really near the ship. That's a pretty industrious place (funky factor really low) but apparently some Princess cruisers (for the Island and the Sapphire) have found some hotel there. I'm not sure how much a taxi fare from LB would be. I imagine you'll flying into LAX and not LB Airport or John Wayne in OC.

Long Beach to San Pedro by taxi costs approxmately $30. There is a Holiday Inn or Best Western right next to the pier. You still can't walk there, but it would be the closest. Or the other option would be to stay at the airport (take the shuttle there and back to the airport) then hop on the Princess transfer.

I stayed there last night, made we want to go on another cruise............

There's a water taxi that will take you across the bay to the seaport village with lots of shops and restaraunts. Close to both LA and Long Beach cruise terminals so taxi should be reasonable.

We stayed on the Queen Mary in May just before our cruise from LA to Vancouver (repo cruise). We took a taxi from LAX ($60.00 U.S.) to Long Beach, then next day took taxi to San Pedro ($30.00 U.S.). Next time I will stay at a hotel at LAX and then take taxi down to pier. Never thought the taxi's would be so expensive. I only budgeted so much for them. The Queen Mary was nice, but would only need to stay there 1 night. There is not much there. And if you wanted to go anywhere, you would have to take more taxis.

Archived