Considering DCL for the First Time- So many questions

pinkbarbie

I have been on several different Carnival Ships (no hate or flaming necessary-I understand everyone has preferences). For the first time we are considering a trip on the Disney Fantasy to StMaarten, St Thomas, and Castaway Cay. I have soo many questions.

We have a 14yo DD who has autism as well as pretty severe Developmental Disabilitites, can't talk and many other issues. Carnival has always been great with her. They have been great with her food allergies and go above and beyond to ensure she has a great time. The majority of the crew knows we are coming ahead of time and everyone keeps a close eye out for us. Can we expect the same type of treatment on DCL? How do they do with these type of kids if anyone has experience

WE have two people going with us who are diabetic. Does DCL provide refrigerators and biohazard boxes for the room?

I have another DD who will be 12yo when we go, How are the activities for that age group?

DS is 18yo. Is he allowed to go to the adult lounges or are they considered 21 and up?

the 13yoDD loves Disney Junior characters like Jake, Sofia, and DocMcstuffins. Do those characters appear on the ships at all where they would be accessible to her.

As far as food, how are the upcharge restaurants? DH and I usually take one or two nights where the 14yo stays with a grandparent and we go to steakhouse or one of the other specialty restaurants on board. Will we be able to experience a Nice quiet dinner like that on board the Disney Fantasy?

How many things on board are an upcharge? Just trying to get a hold on what to expect.

A really important thing to my kids is Mickey Ears. Please tell me they carry these on ships.

Are there Formal or elegant nights? How many? Other dress up nights than pirate?

Sorry for so many questions. I've tried to search but was unable to find some of these answers

Not interested in insults to other lines. only want to know about DCL

:confused::eek:;):confused::eek:;)

Some of the answers depend on which ship/how long a cruise.

Adult on DCL is 18 and older for everything except alcohol purchasing. So your 18 year old will be welcome in all adult venues. There is an 18-21 grout that meets nightly. On the first night, they will work with the CM to decide whether they want other activities arranged as well. (lunch tables reserved, craft or sports times, etc)

Your 14 year old can choose to participate in the 14-17 Vibe (teen) group or the 11-14Edge (tween) group. DCL will be great with allergies--it helps them if you note the allergies on the "special needs" form. This is also where you note the diabetes and request sharps box/fridge. On the Dream and Fantasy, all cabins have real refrigerators. On the Wonder/Magic, they are supplied as needed. Note--the cooling boxes on the Magic may have been replaced with refrigerators at the dry dock.

Upcharge things on board--adult dining, specialty coffee, smoothies, alcohol. That's about it. Bingo costs big time. You can have a great cruise and never pay a penny beyond the cruise ticket and tips...or you can spend thousands on shopping, spa, etc.

Palo and Remy are both nice restaurants. Not sure what you are looking for--Palo is northern Italian. Nice but not over the top. Remy is French--resembles Victoria and Albert in Grand Flo.

NOTHING in the kid programming ever has a charge. Even things that would normally cost are free as part of the programming. For example, if the tweens do "Invade the Arcade," all machines are set to "free play" for that time. If they have a "Smoothie Party," each kid present gets a free smoothie.

The gift shops sell ears.

There is a formal and semi formal night on 7 night cruises. On shorter cruises, all nights are "cruise casual" with one night designated "Dress up optional." That says it all. Some families dress up. Some choose to have family photos taken on this night. Some don't dress up at all. It is up to you.

There are a few (very few) Disney junior characters on some cruises. They often appear at "Toddler time" in the morning.

DCL is well known for award winning kid programming in all age groups. Kids LOVE the Edge (generally).

Obviously, as a first timer on DCL, it won't feel like coming home to you (the way another line might since you've cruised them a zillion times). If you need ANYTHING, let your stateroom host or Guest Services know--it will be handled.

Edited by moki'smommy

Just got off the Fantasy. You will be able to see Sofia and Jake for character pictures and such. Jake also appears for some preset game time programs where it's a pirate themed games lead by staff and Jake. There is no Izzy or Cubby though.

we are also considering a short cruise with DCL ...... we are also Carnival cruisers in the past. Anybody have experience with how DCL works with adults with Developmental disabilities? Both my DS's are disabled and over the age of 21, therefore they are too old to participate in any of the kids programs.

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that a short cruise on DCL costs more than a 7 day on Carnival for our family. Does DCL ever have such a thing as a sale?

we are also considering a short cruise with DCL ...... we are also Carnival cruisers in the past. Anybody have experience with how DCL works with adults with Developmental disabilities? Both my DS's are disabled and over the age of 21, therefore they are too old to participate in any of the kids programs.

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that a short cruise on DCL costs more than a 7 day on Carnival for our family. Does DCL ever have such a thing as a sale?

As to adults with developmental disabilities--they are treated as adults and can participate in any family or adult activity. Unfortunately, there was an incident with an adult who was allowed into the teen program. The story was that he began stalking a young teen and threatened physical harm to the girl's father when confronted. Unfortunately, the young man's father reportedly took a stand for his son's "rights," rather than apologizing and asking for some consideration for the young man's issues. The bottom line after the incident is that there are NO exceptions made--you are out of teen programming on your 18th birthday.

That said, the CMs will work with your sons in any way they can--tipping off characters to the situation if the boys are into characters, etc.

As to "does DCL have such a thing as a sale?" Yes. Look for IGT/OGT/VGT rates which are typically available within 3 months of a cruise date when the ships are not full. They also have periodic specials with varying requirements--20% off instead of 10% for rebooking on board for select cruises, Canadian/FL/GA resident rates, military rates, etc.

WE have two people going with us who are diabetic. Does DCL provide refrigerators and biohazard boxes for the room?

They do have the biohazrd boxes, you just have to request it before departure. Contact your travel agent of DCL and they can tell you were to get the form.

There is so much for kids and kids at heart to do. Everyone in your party will have a super great, spectacular time :)

They do have the biohazrd boxes, you just have to request it before departure. Contact your travel agent of DCL and they can tell you were to get the form.

There is so much for kids and kids at heart to do. Everyone in your party will have a super great, spectacular time :)

The "special request" form is on the DCL web site (used to be called "medical form.") That or a phone call to DCL will take care of it.