FTTF Triumph Galveston Review

notyours75

I've seen lots of threads about FTTF and questions about various ships and ports. Here is our experience with FTTF on the Jan 27th sailing of the Triumph.

In short would we get it again? Absolutely.

We arrived by car in Galveston at the terminal around 10:30. We were directed to a porter with a cart. He helps you unload you luggage and makes sure that it has tags on it. Show him your boarding pass or your luggage tags that have the F2F label on them and he will slap a big orange sticker on the side of your suitcases.

The entry area in terminal one is towards the west side. There is a big sign on the door about priority boarding which you can enter through or go through the main doors, really doesn't make a difference. There to the right is a rope line/switchback with a sign that says Priority Boarding Diamond/Platinum/FTTF. A carnival agent scans your boarding pass and we went through the line. People were just starting to stream into the terminal at this time so there was no one in front of us in the FTTF line a just a handful of people in the regular one. You walk through this massive empty switchback rope line and a security agent inspects your documents and scans your passports. You then enter the security screening area. There is not special metal detector/xray for FTTF but you are kind of directed through the closest one. After passing through security there is a table where they inspect liquids. They were quite thorough and the one lady knew a thing or two about hidden alcohol as I chatted with her while she went through my entire 12 pack of soda and case of water can by can, bottle by bottle.

After that area an agent is standing next to an elevator that is roped off. If you show him your FTTF boarding pass he opened up the rope and put us straight up the elevator while everyone else goes on down the hall. Once upstairs signs directed us to priority check in by going right while other signs point normal people left. We curved around to the right past the captains lounge and saw the full check in counter with dozens of agents and terminals. The last several on the far left were FTTF and another agent was manning the que who checked our pass again and directed us up to the counter. There were maybe about 10 people in the main check in line.

We were quickly checked in and given our S&S cards and they told us about the FTTF sticker on the back. We were directed to a roped off seating area right next to the boarding gate. We were told we could sit anywhere we wanted but the red area was for FTTF. They shortly announced they would start boarding around 11:15 and we hung out and met several people from our FB group there. From the time we drove up, parked and were waiting by the gate, was about 30 minutes.

Several people have wondered how many FTTF passes there are. From my estimate at boarding time there were approx 150-175 dia/plat members and about 100 FTTF. That is just counting the number of people who were ready to board at that time so I'd say the total number on board is probably around 500 but that is a SWAG.

Around 11:15 there were about 100 people in the FTTF area. They brought through the wedding parties and everyone whooped and hollered for them. Then they announced the diamond/platinum members as they walked through and everyone pretty much glared at them. After that they announced FTTF boarding and everyone else pretty much glared at us as we walked through the gate. Zone 1 one was called immediately after us and were were on board by 11:25.

We hit the elevators and went straight up to Deck 7 and straight through the fire doors. (Hint: you have to open the one that says "open me first" on it because they interlock.) I enjoyed walking right past the signs on the fire doors that say "Dia/Plat/FTTF only until 1:30" We went straight to our room and unloaded our bags and met our cabin steward Lawrence. Our room (An L-shaped 7419) was ready and a welcome FTTF letter was on the bed.

We were then able to go exploring and eat lunch on the Lido deck all without having to tote around our luggage. This in and of itself was worth the $50. For two hours we watched people drag around the suitcases and we felt special that didn't have to.

About 3p we were leaving our room and right outside was our luggage. I guess they don't knock but just drop it off so we drug those inside, unpacked and were ready to go. I saw the crew delivering luggage still around 8p when we returned from dinner.

I only went to guest services once during the voyage and there were 10 people in the regular line and one pissed off Italian dude in the FTTF arguing with the purser about his credit card. They finally handed him a phone to call mastercard with and took care of my business. While in line they asked if you were dia/plat and you just show them the red sticker on the back of your S&S card. They pointed several people who showed up to the back of the regular line. And yes the regular line glares at you.

For debarkation we were originally given Zone 9 tags. Later that evening an fttf letter with Zone 1 tags was slipped under our door. It advised that if we wanted to self assist off to be at the Rome lounge at 8a or if we were checking our luggage to be in the lounge at 9a and we'd be the first off. The rome lounge is steps away from the gangway so had we made it there it would have been an easy off versus waiting up on deck. Turns out the ship arrived 4 hours early into Galveston so they started self assist debarkation shortly after 7a. They called Zone 1 at about 8:00 while we were eating breakfast. They were on Zone 12 when we finally headed off the ship at about 8:45. The customs lines were pretty full by then so it was about 30 minutes to get through all of it. No biggie, we were not in a big hurry to leave. I guess if the ship had been on time then we would have been slightly ahead of the big rush. Someone from our FB group later commented that they left the ship at 7:20 and were driving out of the lot by 7:45.

Overall I think the FTTF was worth it and I would be sad to cruise carnival again without it. The rooms being ready were worth it alone. FTTF was originally sold out when we booked our cruise at the last minute but I kept checking back and about 16 days before sailing they opened up some more and we got one. WORTH EVERY PENNY. The only people I hear complaining about FTTF are the Dia/Plat cruisers. I understand their complaints completely but not feeling sorry for them. Maybe one day we'll be on the other side of the fence but until then I'll gladly pay $50 for FTTF.

Great info in your post. Thanks.

One question, it says you get a special phone #. When did you received it, and did you think it was useful?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not the OP, but was on the Magic last year and found the special number useful. The light bulb was not working in our bathroom when we got in. I kept calling guest services but nobody ever answered. I called all the other numbers that I thought might work (room steward hotline, housekeeping, etc.) but just could not get through to anybody. I was beginning to think my phone was broken. Then I called the special number, somebody answered right away and sent a repairman right away. Then the FTTF dept called afterwards to make sure it was fixed and we received another call later in the week surveying how useful he found FTTF.

We loved it.

I'm not the OP, but was on the Magic last year and found the special number useful. The light bulb was not working in our bathroom when we got in. I kept calling guest services but nobody ever answered. I called all the other numbers that I thought might work (room steward hotline, housekeeping, etc.) but just could not get through to anybody. I was beginning to think my phone was broken. Then I called the special number, somebody answered right away and sent a repairman right away. Then the FTTF dept called afterwards to make sure it was fixed and we received another call later in the week surveying how useful he found FTTF.

We loved it.

Shame on the staff, its unfortunate that you had to go to such lengths to get that done. That was a $50 service call basically

On my Nov Triumph cruise I did FTTF simply because My Mother uses a walker and we wanted to be able to drop our bags off once we boarded. We also had a suite so the FTTF was in addition to the Priority boarding.

We had no issues getting in the Priority check in line or getting the elevator upstairs. That is where our issues started. Once we were upstairs I asked about a wheelchair to help get Mom on the ship. We were sent to the right (handicap/wheelchair) line. We did check in there and when I asked about a wheelchair we were told that since we had Priority Boarding we needed to walk back across to the other side of the terminal for that waiting area. So we did. Once we got in the that waiting area I asked again about a wheelchair and we were told to go back to the other side. I said we just came from there and was sent here. They called someone and we we told to wait where we were for a wheelchair. So we did. After bridal parties, Priority Boarding when FTTF boarding started I asked again about a wheelchair. Finally we got one and were allowed to board. Our cabin was ready to drop bags off, we did and went to have lunch. After lunch we were expecting our bags to be available to we went back to our cabin. No Bags. Muster Drill; no bags. Dinner and finally bags. They arrived around 8pm.

Same thing getting off the ship. Even with Priority Debarkation and FTTF we were left waiting on wheelchairs and even a place to sit because everyone was in the Rome lounge. I think we finally got off after they called for Zone 2. So for us the only thing that worked was the cabin being ready.

Great info in your post. Thanks.

One question, it says you get a special phone #. When did you received it, and did you think it was useful?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was a special extension number on our FTTF welcome letter but we never called it. Any problems we had we talked to our room steward and he took care of them.

Since our port visits were not tender ports we did not use that part of it either.

• 1 month later...