Self Disembark Tips-Breeze

sml3

We are considering doing self disembark because we have a 12:10 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've never done this before. How difficult is it? Any tips? We will each have one rolling suitcase.

A tad off topic. Last cruise it was weird waking up early as we pulled into port in the Cove balcony. We were still coming down the channel. Rolled over and looked out the window to see the traffic on the road that runs parallel to the channel. From my view I could not see water and being that it is a tight channel, it appeared we were driving down the highway. Cool to see, but certainly made me say to self "crap, the cruise is over".

What time should we leave the ship? 8am or so?

As soon as you are allowed to. (when the ship clears customs). The airport is 20/25 minutes away. I would much rather be having breakfast at the airport and relaxed and checked in than stressing through traffic/accident etc. It is very very easy, but no one can guarantee you that something may not go wrong. :D

I've only ever done self-disembarkation. Both times were were in Miami we got to the airport early and caught and earlier flight home. The airport is only about 15 minutes away. You will catch you flight with no problems.

Just wake up, roll your bags to the elevator and then off the ship. There is a little bit of a line at customs but I think we waited about 2 minutes.

Enjoy!

Just got off the Breeze on Saturday. We also opted for self-assist debark. We each had one rolling suitcase. The day prior to debark, the cruise director explains the process on the tv in your room. He says to come to the 3rd floor all the way to the front (you end up in the Ovation theatre and have to take a seat until customs clears the ship). He explains that although debark announcements will not begin until 7:15, you can come as early as 7:00. We went exactly at 7:00 - the Ovation theater was already 1/2 full (but there was plenty of room). We had to sit there for around 1/2 hour before debark started. It got a little crazy because it was supposed to be first in to the theatre, the first allowed to leave. But folks coming at the back started jumping line to leave first & some started a little yelling & so on. Carnival staff eventually got it under control & it worked a little smoother after that. No real problems, though. Anyway, we climbed into a taxi in front of the Breeze terminal at 8:04 a.m. & off we headed to the airport. We'd do self assist again in a heartbeat.

Edited by Debhar
Spelling edit

Just got off the Breeze on Saturday. We also opted for self-assist debark. We each had one rolling suitcase. The day prior to debark, the cruise director explains the process on the tv in your room. He says to come to the 3rd floor all the way to the front (you end up in the Ovation theatre and have to take a seat until customs clears the ship). He explains that although debark announcements will not begin until 7:15, you can come as early as 7:00. We went exactly at 7:00 - the Ovation theater was already 1/2 full (but there was plenty of room). We had to sit there for around 1/2 hour before debark started. It got a little crazy because it was supposed to be first in to the theatre, the first allowed to leave. But folks coming at the back started jumping line to leave first & some started a little yelling & so on. Carnival staff eventually got it under control & it worked a little smoother after that. No real problems, though. Anyway, we climbed into a taxi in front of the Breeze terminal at 8:04 a.m. & off we headed to the airport. We'd do self assist again in a heartbeat.

HOw much was your taxi if you don't mind me asking? We have shuttle service reserved but if they are late I need a backup option. TIA

We flew in & out of Miami. Miami Airport to Holiday Inn Port of Miami was $22 plus tip. Holiday Inn Port of Miami to Port the morning of cruise was $12 plus tip. Port of Miami to Miami Airport was $25 plus tip. This was total taxi cost for two people.

We have never done self assist before but will be doing so this year...primarily because our son starts school the next day (Aug. 25) and we have to drive from Miami to Nashville (NC). Last year, we did the regular disembark but got off earlier due to FTTF. We were off the ship by 8something (give or take 15 minutes). We finally hit the road (after dropping our friends off at the hotel) by 11 and made it back home 1:30 a.m.. This year we plan to get off the ship as soon as we can.

We have never done self assist before but will be doing so this year...primarily because our son starts school the next day (Aug. 25) and we have to drive from Miami to Nashville (NC). Last year, we did the regular disembark but got off earlier due to FTTF. We were off the ship by 8something (give or take 15 minutes). We finally hit the road (after dropping our friends off at the hotel) by 11 and made it back home 1:30 a.m.. This year we plan to get off the ship as soon as we can.

We are flying out of FLL from POM so that taxi I know is more, I am guessing 80?

Hey mephistoles, we don't live too far apart (Fayetteville) and you'll be going right by my house (about 5 miles from I95). Hope you have a save trip. That's quite a drive. We calculated the cost between flying and driving (gas, food parking at port) and it was only 100.00 (200 rt southwest from RDU) more total for both of us to fly but if there were more of us driving would probably be on the agenda.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

We are flying out of FLL from POM so that taxi I know is more, I am guessing 80?

Hey mephistoles, we don't live too far apart (Fayetteville) and you'll be going right by my house (about 5 miles from I95). Hope you have a save trip. That's quite a drive. We calculated the cost between flying and driving (gas, food parking at port) and it was only 100.00 (200 rt southwest from RDU) more total for both of us to fly but if there were more of us driving would probably be on the agenda.

I am going to look into flying from RDU....I figured that it would cost about $1000 for the 3 of us :eek: We plan to stay in Ft. Lauderdale this time (2 nights before cruising). I truly love driving but if we can great air fare rates, then we'll definitely fly down.

We are considering doing self disembark because we have a 12:10 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've never done this before. How difficult is it? Any tips? We will each have one rolling suitcase.

It looks like you are sailing Breeze out of Miami, right? We did the same back in October-we flew into and out of FLL for Breeze.

We had reserved transportation with SAS (ridesas.com) before the cruise for both directions. $15 pp. We've used them several times and have always had fantastic, quick service. We also used self-assist so we did not leave our bags outside at night. We had a noon flight.

On debarkation day, we got ready and had breakfast in the Lido. At 8:30 we went back to our cabin to retrieve our luggage since everyone was asked to vacate cabins by that time. We called SAS and told them we were ready to go. We were picked up five minutes later and were headed to MIA. Took about half an hour to get to MIA. We were sitting at the gate by 9:30.

Easy Peasy.

We tried self assist for the first time last year and loved it - much less crazy! We were headed down to the appointed lounge when crew members spotted us and asked if we wanted to get off NOW and then hustled us onto a service elevator and away - we were at customs maybe 5 minutes later. Very fast and much less trouble than the suitcase hunt! We too have the afternoon flight out of FLL this summer and plan to use it again.

Just wait down by the theater and youll be inn fll in plenty of time.

We just got off the Breeze on Saturday. We had a flight out of FLL at 11:15. We had everything packed up and ready the night before. Went to breakfast at 6 a.m. and the ship was still moving slowly down the channel. We went back to the room to toss our overnight stuff into the suitcases, and went to the Ovation Theater. We had pre-booked SAS for the trip, and Steve advised us to call as soon as we cleared customs. We were out of the facility before 8 a.m. and on the SAS shuttle a few minutes later. The driver circled around a couple of times to pick up other customers, and we had a quick safe trip to FLL - were at the airport before 9 a.m. We were home by 2pm - our friends who were too nervous to book the early flight didn't get home until 7 p.m. Self-assist was great!

We made the mistake of putting our luggage out the night before, never again in Miami. Do the self assist! It took 45 minutes for our luggage to come out. That was 30 minutes after they called our number! We missed our transportation and waited another hour for them to come back. By the time we hit FLL THE LINES TO GET THROUGH SECURITY WERE 4 hours long! No kidding! We nearly missed our flight, I had to beg TSA lady to let us cut the line so we wouldn't miss the flight. She was so mean!

Next time we stay in a hotel another night and fly out first flight the next day, less stress.

FYI, that was the only cruise terminal we have ever had an issue with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Quick question - we did self assist out of Norfolk and it was a nightmare with their escalator in POM do you go straight to customs or do you have stairs or escaltors to worry about? We think we might have an extra suitcase which is always a pain to worry about holding onto a rail with 2 suitcases

Quick question - we did self assist out of Norfolk and it was a nightmare with their escalator in POM do you go straight to customs or do you have stairs or escaltors to worry about? We think we might have an extra suitcase which is always a pain to worry about holding onto a rail with 2 suitcases

At the Port of Miami there was both an escalator and an elevator. Back in October, there was a port employee directing people with luggage to the elevator and people with only carry-ons to the escalator.

I did self assist out of POM, on my last cruise. We had a 12pm flight, and we received a letter from Carnival in our cabin instructing us were to met for disembark. We had to meet in the theater at 8am, and they took us down one flight of stairs to exit the ship. It was very easy, but we had to carry our luggage down the steps.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Chelleum