Currency in the Caribbean

MBTScotland

We are on the Oriana for the Caribbean cruise in Mar/April this year. Antigua, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, Barbados.

We see that the main currency is the East Caribbean Dollar, apart from Barbados. Would we be better with just US dollars for all ports.

We will naturally have Sterling and Euro.

First time in the Caribbean and any advice will be gratefully accepted.

We are on the Oriana for the Caribbean cruise in Mar/April this year. Antigua, St Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, Barbados.

We see that the main currency is the East Caribbean Dollar, apart from Barbados. Would we be better with just US dollars for all ports.

We will naturally have Sterling and Euro.

First time in the Caribbean and any advice will be gratefully accepted.

We always take just US$ which are accepted everywhere- just be sure to take small denomination notes though as you will get change in local currency.

We always take just US$ which are accepted everywhere- just be sure to take small denomination notes though as you will get change in local currency.

Except in Guadeloupe and other French Caribbean departments. There, they use Euros and US currency isn't widely accepted outside of the immediate port tourist vendors.

I'm sure that if you make it clear that change is in US Dollars or it's no sale, then they'll find US Dollars.

Thinking of taking some barbados dollars,not sure about how much to take.the rate today was £50 bought me $150.what is the differance between US$ and barbados $.we are there for two days.anyone know how much it costs for a taxi to st lawrence gap and back to the port also price of drinks.taking US$.Just wondering what would be the best option price wise in barbados.

Hi Aliwyg I would not bother taking Barbados dollars $US will be fine but take small denominations up to and including $20s, we have been to the Caribbean numerous times and have never had problems with cash.If they try to give me local coins I just let them keep them,and I have always received my change in $US. If you are unsure what currency you are being charged just ask.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Aliwyg I would not bother taking Barbados dollars $US will be fine but take small denominations up to and including $20s, we have been to the Caribbean numerous times and have never had problems with cash.If they try to give me local coins I just let them keep them,and I have always received my change in $US. If you are unsure what currency you are being charged just ask.

Have a great cruise.

Agreed, $US are perfectly ok, just take a good selection of small notes.

Last year we ended up a locals bar on the far side of the island, they took $US, I think they just round it up but still not expensive.

No atm at the cruise terminal, you have to go into town. $2usd taxi ride or 20 min walk. Be aware though that the atm will give you EC dollars so you might want to get $ on the ship, even though the exchange rate is not that good(about $1.47 to the £1 last November)

Anyone know if there is an ATM at the Barbados cruise terminal which will give us US Dollars ? We are flying Saturday so there will be no time to go into Bridge town

If you order tonight from Thomas Cook online, you can get them delivered tomorrow.

Molly