First time leaving the kids home - any tips/advice?

GeorgiaMomof4

This is a great thread! At what age would you feel comfortable leaving your kid alone? My oldest is turning 16 this year. Her younger sibs will be 9 and 12 when we cruise as a family later this year. I don't think I'd leave them alone until my oldest was at least 18.... maybe 20? LOL! I'm just thinking ahead. This year we are going on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary and my daughter's sweet 16. This will be a family cruise. But wow, it's a lot cheaper to go as a couple! I've talked with my MIL about watching them, but she seemed iffy about the idea. I'd hate to buy a cruise, then have MIL back out or something at the last minute. Someday, someday we'll go on a cruise alone!

My kids were 19 and 16 when we went (to celebrate or 25th). Both could drive which was a big factor in us being able to go and leave them home alone. I didn't have to find someone else to get the 16 year old to all of her dance classes while the older one was in his college classes. I think we would have done it when DS was 18 if DD didn't have so many places she needed to be driven to. Her being able to drive gave us more flexibility.

This is a great thread! At what age would you feel comfortable leaving your kid alone? My oldest is turning 16 this year. Her younger sibs will be 9 and 12 when we cruise as a family later this year. I don't think I'd leave them alone until my oldest was at least 18.... maybe 20? LOL! I'm just thinking ahead. This year we are going on a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary and my daughter's sweet 16. This will be a family cruise. But wow, it's a lot cheaper to go as a couple! I've talked with my MIL about watching them, but she seemed iffy about the idea. I'd hate to buy a cruise, then have MIL back out or something at the last minute. Someday, someday we'll go on a cruise alone!

DD is 18YO and is an only child. We live in a rather secluded area a bit away from neighbors and I get creeped out when I'm home alone :). She's a responsible kid, but I'd feel better if we needed to go somewhere even overnight, if she had a friend over. If our neighbors were closer, I would probably feel differently.

I've never really felt the need to take a vacation without her (or without my DH), but I have a lot of friends who regularly take trips without their kids.

When I was growing up I was left alone for up-to two weeks begining at age 16. A car, cash and that was it -- nearest relative was about 2 hours away. A little frightening, but hey. My parents were on a tennis trip to the Bahama's over my 17th birthday -- but they let me go out an buy myself a new racing bike (and my friends threw me a surprise party). I went off the college a few months later and never really looked back.