A summary, then, of "best practices" for money on river cruise?

Ukalady

We do have the USAA card, which works perfectly overseas! It was quite a process to get it (and I understand they have stopped issuing them to non-members).

I am a USAA member and have a USAA American Express card. It is the standard US kind that you swipe along the long side. Are you saying that this card should be OK in Europe? I used it in Australia and New Zealand with no problem, but I don't want to have to get another card just for this trip. I would think that, considering that USAA's target "audience" is service personnel, their card would work just about anywhere.

I am a USAA member and have a USAA American Express card. It is the standard US kind that you swipe along the long side. Are you saying that this card should be OK in Europe? I used it in Australia and New Zealand with no problem, but I don't want to have to get another card just for this trip. I would think that, considering that USAA's target "audience" is service personnel, their card would work just about anywhere.

Once we were approved by USAA, we had to specifically request the chip and pin card to replace the swipe card. It is different from the standard swipe card. You insert the short side of the card into a reader, then enter your 4-digit pin # on a keypad. It is important to note that a swipe card from any bank will work at most places in Europe. We were refused twice in Denmark by clerks who just had no idea how to maunally run the swipe card, or who had been instructed by the management to not accept them. It was the only acceptable form of credit payment at most businesses in a small village in Switzerland where we stayed last summer. In fact, the clerks at the grocery market were quite impatient that we struggled with the machine while learning how to use it! There are other places, such as unmanned ticket kiosks, etc, where you may not be able to use a swipe card. If I were traveling on a river cruise and staying in mainstream tourist areas, I probably wouldn't even bother thinking about getting a chip & pin card.

Once we were approved by USAA, we had to specifically request the chip and pin card to replace the swipe card. It is different from the standard swipe card. You insert the short side of the card into a reader, then enter your 4-digit pin # on a keypad. It is important to note that a swipe card from any bank will work at most places in Europe. We were refused twice in Denmark by clerks who just had no idea how to maunally run the swipe card, or who had been instructed by the management to not accept them. It was the only acceptable form of credit payment at most businesses in a small village in Switzerland where we stayed last summer. In fact, the clerks at the grocery market were quite impatient that we struggled with the machine while learning how to use it! There are other places, such as unmanned ticket kiosks, etc, where you may not be able to use a swipe card. If I were traveling on a river cruise and staying in mainstream tourist areas, I probably wouldn't even bother thinking about getting a chip & pin card.

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I don't think I'll bother getting a different card.

I see you are sailing on the Jewel soon....lucky you! That's our favorite ship!

Edited by linkerbink

Swipe cards, whether USAA or another brand, do work at most merchants. On our most recent trip, Oct/Nov in the Balkens, it was quicker and easier for us to use our chip and pin than it was for others to use their swipes. We did hear that others on our tour had AmEx refused.

IIRC, USAA issues chip and pin only on their MasterCards and perhaps only on their World Card.

• 1 month later...

Give me a break -- Jeans are worn by MANY Europeans! Albeit with a nice blouse/blazer perhaps. Personally I have to wear "sneakers" as I have bad feet and feeling good trumps looking pretty. Wear black sneakers and you'll fit right in.

Bank of America ATM: You'll get the best rate by using an ATM card. We use our BOA ATM regularly, associated with BNP (France), Deutsche Bank (good in Germany/Austria/Italy), Barclays (UK). Some years ago when we checked in Rome about cashing $$ into Euro, an exchange place wanted 17% (that's not a typo). The rate at the bank (we found Deutsche bank all over) was 1%. BOA used to charge an additional $5 per transaction if you used a bank that wasn't in their network. Check with your bank. Always advise your bank (the # is on the back of your ATM card) of your travel plans before you leave so the card won't be blocked. This should be done for all your credit cards in any event.

BOA Trip Rewards visa, CapOne visa have no foreign transaction fees. Luckily, I have a true chip/pin visa card from State Dept. Fed CU.

We use a money belt when travelling. Got a really nice soft one from AAA and it goes under my shirt. Since most hotels/ships have safes, you only need to carry a photo copy of the front page of your passport + some cash for taxis/transportation. We only carry 2 credit cards with us. The visa card and perhaps a Master card in the event Visa isn't accepted.

Watch for pickpockets any place you go.

We like to have a drink at a cafe so need cash, but with the chip/pin card or even regular visa card, no problem with charging usually, not in major European cities. While we now have that chip/pin card, we've never had to use it before as we always got metro tickets from a manned booth, but they're becoming more and more difficult to find.

Since most hotels/ships have safes, you only need to carry a photo copy of the front page of your passport

Thank you for your informative post. I would just like to remind readers that whether or not you carry your actual passport, or a photocopy is a personal decision but one you should make with full knowledge of the laws and regulations of the country you are visiting. In Hungary, for example, visitors are required to have their actual passport and the law states explicitly that a photocopy is not acceptable. The US State Department website is a great resource.

You should also consider the ramifications of being in a foreign location without your passport (missing the ship, medical emergency, etc.) Hotel safes are not as secure as some believe, the travel forums are full of reports of theft. It has been also reported that some cruiselines advise you to leave them in the safe; advice which is sometimes contrary to local law.

In the end, you need to decide what is in your best interests. Personally, we carry passports with us in a secure manner. It is the most important personal document we have. As far as a photocopy, can you imagine being asked for ID anywhere in the US and handing over a photocopy of you driver's license? :D

Edited by sippican

Just an aside...I was in the Puerto Vallarta Airport yesterday and found an American passport stuck in the escalator! Someone had a bad day...I gave it to a security person and listened for a page over the PA but never heard it.

Anyway, we use a Charles Schwab Visa Credit/Debit card for all expenses when traveling. They reimburse all foreign transaction fees and ATM fees so it is very handy. It does not have a chip but there is a PIN number. The only problem we've had with it is occasionally a taxi driver cannot process it. Otherwise, we were in Europe for a month last fall and were never told we needed a card with a chip.

• 2 weeks later...
You don't need a check card in Europe. Instead get a credit card with no international fee. I would suggest American Express. Go to a local American Express office, they can change your American dollars for Euro's. They will probably ask if you are a "member." It is beneficial to have an American Express card. I suggest getting $1000 US dollars changed per week of travel. That will likely more than cover ALL your and your mother's financial needs while in Europe.

Forget the fanny pack, purse or money belt. These items make you stand out as a tourist and attract pick pockets to you like moths to a flame. In general wear black with black European style walking shoes and no jewelry other than a cheap watch. Don't wear jeans or other obviously American clothes and shoes. Dress in layers with the outer garment being long sleeved. Personally, since many toilets in Europe (especially in France) don't have toilet seats, I find it easier to manage in a dress than pants - however, if you are traveling during cold weather, long pants are a necessity. The ScottEvest - which comes in many different styles is a great investment for comfortable hands free travel.

I'm assuming you are going on a river cruise since this is the river cruise section of the boards - it would help to know what itinerary/month in order to advise you in greater detail. Tipping is less generous in Europe than in the states - usually only 5 - 10%. Other than that, the money you have with you would be for taxis, some incidental food - usually snacks and drinks, tips for the crew and tour guides and bus drivers, but on many river cruises, and some shopping there is not all that much to buy nor much time in which to buy things as most of the tours are more oriented to sight seeing. The other thing - much of what you see in tourist stores can be bought online from home when you have time to compare prices or even find a better version of the same item. In addition you have to consider if the item would make your luggage overweight. On our last river cruise, we went to a lovely cuckoo clock factory, but after looking at many interesting clocks, we realized that these were not a good fit for our home's decor - which is Italian - so we passed. Others on our cruise were buying these clocks for themselves and all their family members and they cost in the thousands of dollars. The store shipped them home for the purchasers but I really wonder how many people really wanted a cuckoo clock from their relative's trip once they had it in their home. Was the cuckoo clock, in fact, an albatross? Did the recipients hate the clocks yet feel forced to display these elaborate clocks so as not to disappoint their parents? Likely, yes, in many cases. So be sure to not get caught up in the excitement of seeing a new item and buying it only to realize that is not a good fit for your home or the home of the recipient. And, of course, if my husband and I ever want a cuckoo clock, we can order it online from the very store we visited and you could do the same. So don't feel pressured to buy.

Thanks for the good laugh about the cuckoo clocks..., oh how true. Since both my husband and myself only travel with one piece of carry-on luggage each we NEVER have room to buy treasures that we could sell at our garage sales in a few years.

Marion