All QM2 Travelers With Pets!

Lepine

For all those who travel internationally with your pets, and refuse to put your animals in potentially dangerous (and extremely stressful) cargo holds,

Princess is doing away with the QM2 kennels after this Fall.

Please, if you don't want to lose the kennels, which are the ONLY way to get your pet (anything larger than tiny) across the Atlantic except in a cargo hold, please write to Peter Ratcliffe as soon as possible and state your case.

The California address is: 24303 Town Center Drive, Suite 200, Valencia, CA 91355-0908

We need those kennels, especially those of us who go overseas every year for more than a month at a time.

Also, it seems they want to build an outside restaurant there. Have you seen how extremely WINDY it is on 12 Deck, almost all the time? Who would want to sit outside in that?

DEFRA has only recently accepted QM2 as an accepted carrier for the Pet Travel Scheme, which means you take your pet via QM2, and NO MORE QUARANTINE. How untimely to get rid of the kennels now!

Kennels on ocean liners are an old, old tradition, and people on board like to visit them also.

There are plenty of good reasons to keep the kennels, so please send your letters. They can definitely have an effect. I don't really think the California office is completely in touch with some basic facts with regard to QM2.

And by the way, it's true, their computers have been screwing up and telling everyone the kennels are full when they never have been (how can they be when passengers with pets are being turned away because of this?).

Let's see if we can convince them to keep the kennels. It's worth try, anyway, no matter what.

I've been on twice this year and both times the kennels were quite full. Interesting that they would do this. You said that the kennels are used for "anything larger than tiny"... what about small dogs llike chihuahuas... are they allowed to be kept in the pax cabin? Earlier this month, I was speaking with a gentleman on board who was traveling with his cat. I failed to ask him if they kept the cat in the kennel area or his cabin.

I've been on twice this year and both times the kennels were quite full. Interesting that they would do this. You said that the kennels are used for "anything larger than tiny"... what about small dogs llike chihuahuas... are they allowed to be kept in the pax cabin? Earlier this month, I was speaking with a gentleman on board who was traveling with his cat. I failed to ask him if they kept the cat in the kennel area or his cabin.

No, I meant anything larger than tiny cannot travel by plane except in a cargo hold (tiny dogs and cats can travel in the airplane cabin). Pets of any size are allowed in the QM2 kennels (I think dogs are not supposed to be bigger than a German Shepherd, but I've heard of larger dogs traveling in both the QE2 and QM2 kennels. There is no way, I'm afaid, that one can ever bring a pet in the cabin on QM2.

The times you traveled and the kennels were quite full I believe were not the norm, because I was told that much of the time they have been relatively empty, with sometimes just one dog (how lonely for him).

I was actually planning on taking my two poodles and crossings in 2006. Do you have his email address?

I've heard Mr. Ratcliffe's email address is difficult to impossible to acquire. A letter may be more time consuming, but it's worth it if we are to at least try to keep the kennels (or bring them back again later).

I've heard Mr. Ratcliffe's email address is difficult to impossible to acquire. A letter may be more time consuming, but it's worth it if we are to at least try to keep the kennels (or bring them back again later).

On another thread on Cunard Captains it wassuggested that Peter Ratcliffe's email address is : pratcliffe@princesscruises.com

Good luck!

I wonder if there are other Cunard message boards, to reach Cunarders with pets and hopefully induce people to write Peter Ratcliffe.

QM2 is THE ONLY way to get your pets across without putting them with luggage in a dark, noisy, dangerous hold.

Lepine,

This very useful site will tell you all of the Cunard related boards floating around out there. I hope QM2 keeps its kennels I'd love to transport my beagle Rebel across the pond to meet his cousins some day.

http://cruiseclues.com/

Good Luck,

Cruiserking

Thank you. I do hope you will also write or email Peter Ratcliffe about this. If enough letters are sent, who knows. Otherwise we may never see these kennels again.

On May 22 I travelled with my service dogs from England to NYC. There were 3-4 dogs in the kennel. My dogs were able to stay with me in my cabin. Still, as someone who travels with her dogs, its more than vital that we put up as good a fight as possible to ask Cunard to keep the kennels open.

I must admit I have had the worse time with Cunard on my trip to the US, I am returning via Cunard on Aug 09 I doubt I will ever really want to use Cunard services again, unless I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I'm dropping a letter to keep the kennels for all the animal lovers out there.

YvonneE

I must admit I have had the worse time with Cunard on my trip to the US, I am returning via Cunard on Aug 09 I doubt I will ever really want to use Cunard services again, unless I absolutely have to.

YvonneE - sorry to hear that - I recall you were so looking forward to your trip - care to share what went wrong?

Peter

On May 22 I travelled with my service dogs from England to NYC. There were 3-4 dogs in the kennel. My dogs were able to stay with me in my cabin. Still, as someone who travels with her dogs, its more than vital that we put up as good a fight as possible to ask Cunard to keep the kennels open.

Anyway, I'm dropping a letter to keep the kennels for all the animal lovers out there.

YvonneE

Thank you for your support, Yvonne!

I'm sorry you had a bad time on Cunard. I had always found QE2 to be very gracious, and have enjoyed QM2 also. However, with the takeover by Princess Line, I have heard quite a few complaints form those who would know (not naming any names).

With regard to the kennels, I have noticed an attitude at the US office (not with the sales personnel, but a little higher up) of coldness every time I have mentioned them, plus a distinctly disapproving stare from an American officer (the only one onboard it would seem) when viewing my dogs as we were leaving the ship last April. On such a British ship...could it be another example of what some consider to be the imperialism of some US corporations?

Well, whatever the politics that may be going on, the important thing is that keeping the kennels would be beneficial to Cunard as well, as people love the tradition, and many who travel with their pets rely on it. How many loyal Cunarders they will lose without the kennels, I don't know.

YvonneE - sorry to hear that - I recall you were so looking forward to your trip - care to share what went wrong?

Peter

Hi again Guernseyguy,

Its with mixed feelings I've experienced Cunard. With regards to the service dogs that were allowed in my cabin, they really over extended themselves. Their was someone who helped me get the dogs on, there were lifejackets waiting on the bed for the dogs and each night, a waiter came with little bowls of sausages, boiled chicken or beef. Outside in the balcony there was a small sandbox (!) built for the dogs (my dogs weren't clear on its purpose, but thats another story!). What as not so nice about service dog treatment : because they are very small (they are medical alert dogs) - it was requested that someone always stay in the cabin with them, that they not be allowed in common areas and that I carry them whenever going to the kennel area (for relieving themselves when the sandbox didn't work).

This meant that at no point did we (my partner and I) have a meal together out of the cabin. Further, we never were able to participate in any activity together. It was very much a solo trip and constant rushing back to the cabin. After two nights of eating off the tv menu, I went down to the restaurant and asked to be able to have the regular menu delivered to the cabin. This met with lots of problems, but ultimately worked out. Still, the reality is, these are service dogs and in the US and most of Europe they are able to be in all public places. In the end, the trip was nothing more than a means of transporting the dogs. All those dress clothes and fancy shoes was a waste of space. We stayed in the cabin.

Still, it wasn't the service dog issue that turned me off to Cunard. It was how things were handled before and after my cruise. I originally contacted Cunard in Dec regarding this trip. It was said, no problem Service dogs are allowed in the cabin. In Jan, it wasn't. In Feb it was. Mind you, this involved MANY emails and SOOOOOOOOOO many voice calls. Of course it was booked early so we paid too much. I asked about upgrades because of this and did end up in a nice cabin. I didn't get any breaks on the second cruise no matter how I tried. Since I was headed to a convention (discussing service dogs) I accepted.

When we got to NYC, the porter picked up the wrong luggage. I realized it that night, called Cunard, surfed the internet for the person (there was no number on the luggage), left a message for her. Turns out it was a holiday in the US so we all had to wait until Tuesday for any action. I was absolutely sick because I didn't have my suitcase and I didn't take Cunards insurance.

Cunards luggage carrier Cruiselink personnel contacted me on Tuesday. THey just about yelled at me for taking someone elses luggage and told me they would begin looking for mine. They arranged to have the baggage I incorrectly had, picked up by UPS. Meanwhile, no word on my luggage. On Thursday, Cruiselink lets me know they have my luggage. It never left NY port. They would have it sent to me via UPS at a cost to me. I was so relieved. A few days later, UPS informs me the luggage is lost again. To make a long story short, a month later, still no luggage Cunard says it was my responsibility that the luggage wasn't correctly picked up so they wipe their hands of the situation. UPS says, Cruiselink as the sender should have insured it for more than the standard 100.00. I was sitting in Florida losing my mind. My luggage is missing, I've got a speech to make that I can't and I'm spending time trying to help my mother deal with her newly diagnosed cancer.

My stance with regards to Cunard was yes, it might have been my responsibility to check the luggage in NYC, but the moment Cunards luggage representative Cruiselink picked up the luggage and sent it via UPS, they were taking new responsibility for my goods. The responsibility laid somewhere between UPS and Cruiselink . I should have been asked an insurance value onf my luggage. Cruiseline should have known it was worth more than 100 dollars (one pair of shoes was worth more, it was the QM2 for goodness sakes) . Anyway, to say I was unhappy camper doesn't touch it.

So now I call my insurance who says get a full report from Cunard/Cruiselink/UPS. No can do. No one wants to take responsibility for anything ...and I'm out my clothes, my computer, etc. etc.

I end up missing the convention because I don't have my report to present (iit was on the laptop), buying clothes to get by and spending endless hours on the phone with Cruiseline, Cunard, UPS.

Since all is going so badly, I decide to extend my stay to clear this up (itemizing the luggage etc). Cunard happily changes my date for an additional fee ($$) .I get changed from a sail date of July 05 to Aug 09. A few days later, my luggage is found! UPS delivers it - the handle is broken off and stuffed into the broken off lock section of the luggage, and needless to say my electronics are gone as are my QM2 jacket, hat and a couple of items. UPS pays a 100.00 claim to Cruiselink, because thats how much it was insured for - but not even that is returned to me! Cunards entire response is, you should have taken our insurance. I still get nothing and I'm out the goods I lost. Cruiselink president says she'll assist, but no response really comes.

I'm stressed with where to stay when I get to NYC this coming weekend as hotels aren't that easy to find during the summer and boy are they expensive.

So now, I'm on the Aug 09 crossing. I will stay in the cabin with my dogs during the entire time: pay only the person delivering food for me each day and just get home.

All in all, I should have just stayed home in Sweden!

Yvonne:mad:

YvonneE,

Oh dear - you have had a time of it! It sounds as though Cunard did make some effort in the Cabin, and to an extent one can understand the request to never leave the dogs unattended - could they not have been left briefly in the Kennels during meal times - or do you need them with you all the time? I'm glad dining eventually got sorted out - at least you'll have them get it right from day one on the way back!

The luggage thing sounds like a terrible fiasco - will your own travel insurance not cover it? I always drag my electronics around with me....one possible reason for knuckles dragging along the ground......

Better luck on your voyage home.

Peter

<<<

I'm stressed with where to stay when I get to NYC this coming weekend as hotels aren't that easy to find during the summer and boy are the expensive.

>>>

If I were you I would reserve right away. You can try Yahoo Travel, for example, put the dates you want and indicate that you want a hotel allowing pets (I don't know what the policies are of "no-pet" hotels regarding service dogs). Yahoo has quite a few discounts, although this time of year most hotels are booked.

Yvonne,

Yu might wish to try and google "Service Dogs/Legislation New York State (or NYC)".

In many North American cities/states/provinces legislation exists stating that service dogs cannot be refused. Recently in Vancouver, a cab firm was fined $25000 for refusing to carry a seeing eye dog with her master.

It would seem that Cunard has adopted a more lackadaisical attitude and in fact they are slowly drifting down the line of stature to nothing more than a cruiseline rather than the most elite carrier for ocean passage.Hope everything works out for your trip.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived