more meds in Belize

GrandmaHofmann

Pollywog posted on Wed Feb 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I have read different discussions about buying drugs from foreign port pharmacies. I have bought a generic Nexium, differnt antibiotics and a couple other generics which I am familiar with from some of the pharmacies. Basically I have read and seen that you can buy some schedule 4 and 5 drugs over the counter at some of these ports. I did buy a generic Soma that I had used before after climbing the pyramids in Progreso, and waking up with leg spasms. I have also read that through treaty obligations you could not buy schedule 3 and 2 drugs without a Dr's prescription at these pharmacies. When we were recently in Belize, and I went to the pharmacy to get a couple things. I was waiting in line, and I noticed a sign at the counter saying Vicodin ~ 100/$50 ~ 50/$25.00. I was curious and asked the person behind the counter if I could see one of them. She showed me a plastic bag with a bunch of pills with a handwritten label that said 10/500. I asked her if they were 10mg hydrocodone and 500mg acetaminophan, and she said YES. I asked her to see one of the pills, and I was not familiar with what was supposed to be a generic form of Vicodan. I made a mental note of the lettering on the pill, and wrote it down once I walked out. It was a round, white pill with CO/DYD on it. I have a past history of opiate abuse, and I am too familiar with most opiates including the generics. I had never seen this pill before. I had forgotten about it until I started getting my suitcases out and ready for our next cruise. I found the scrap of paper I had written the description of the pill on last night in my suitcase, and looked it up. It was NOT hydrocodone/acetaminophan at all! It is Co-dydramol, which I am not familiar with at all. The dihydrocodeine in the pill could be considered a "cousin" of hydrocodone, BUT it is NOT the same drug or the generic form at all. Co-dydramol does contain the acetaminophan/paracetimol, but does not have any hydrocodone at all. Much less the generic of Vicodin they said it was! I wanted to post this to let people know you cannot trust all of these pharmacies. I assume there are some port pharmacies that are honest, but this port pharmacy in Belize was trying to sell something adverised as Vicodin when it was something completely different. I know that there are people prescibed Lortab for pain, and I would hate for someone to buy this thinking they were getting what they were usually prescribed. I am so happy my drug use days are over or I know I would have taken those pills without even knowing for sure what they were. I would think if they would do this with one drug then they would do this with another drug. I might still buy something I am familiar with, but I am more worried now about even buying what I am familiar with. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, and something to think about. ~

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia