Us Air

gypsyrose

This may not be the right place to ask, but everyone is so knowledgeable on these boards, I was hoping someone might be able to help. I am redeeming air miles for the first time for my next cruise. I called today and the lady did not know what would happen if the airline went belly up, she said it may take 5 years to get my miles back. The only direct flights from Charlotte to Orlando is on USAIR and United (which is run by USAIR). Will trip insurance cover this? I know I can wait until next year to redeem but you still run the same risk. I know ins. covers flights but did not know about them when they were miles redeemed. Can anyone help? Thanks:)

This may not be the right place to ask, but everyone is so knowledgeable on these boards, I was hoping someone might be able to help. I am redeeming air miles for the first time for my next cruise. I called today and the lady did not know what would happen if the airline went belly up, she said it may take 5 years to get my miles back. The only direct flights from Charlotte to Orlando is on USAIR and United (which is run by USAIR). Will trip insurance cover this? I know I can wait until next year to redeem but you still run the same risk. I know ins. covers flights but did not know about them when they were miles redeemed. Can anyone help? Thanks:)

As far as I know, US Air is still on the list of airlines the insurance companies won't cover due to their financial struggles of late. As far as getting your miles back? Are talking about booking with your miles, the airline goes belly up... and then the airline reinstating and you getting your miles posted back? Or are you talking about transferring those miles to another airline?? If the airline goes belly up, one of their partners will try to accomodate you with that ticket, but I'm not sure what you are asking about to get your miles back??

GyspyRose,

I was trying to cash in on some of my US Airways miles for a trip next spring and was told that no travel insurance company will "cover" me if the airlines goes belly up. I was told this by an airline employee.

The way I look at it is... I need to use the miles no matter what so I might as well give it a try and take my chances. The absolute worst is that the airline goes belly up and I scramble to find cheap flights (maybe Priceline) or I drive.

Since I travel a lot for business, it's been my experience that some other airline will step in (i.e. buy out the routes) and help out.

Good Luck!

Kit

US Airways and America West airlines have agreed to a merger. This would seem to bolster their position for the near future.

I am in a similar boat (no cruise pun intended) because I cashed in miles to book free USAirways tickets for my honeymoon. We sure did not want that to be disrupted! But now, the trip is three weeks away and there is no chance of them ceasing operations in that time.

The bigger issue you will face is not airline bankruptcy, but award availability. You have to book way ahead (read 330 days or so) or use double miles to get a free ticket to a popular destination these days! That is how I got my free Hawaii tickets on USAirways' codeshare partner, United (also in bankruptcy, BTW.)

Part of the merger agreement is that USAir will have to park/retire 50 to 60 airplanes. As someone else said check with your insurance company about coverage for a company on their no-no list that have filed for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, both United and USAir are in bankruptcy. USAir is loosing alot of market share in Philly, Richmond, Indianpolis, Charlotte and alot of other cities, because of AirTran and Southwest.

USAir is loosing alot of market share in Philly, Richmond, Indianpolis, Charlotte and alot of other cities, because of AirTran and Southwest.

I see you are in High Point. I am in Charlotte and every time I look up 9 out of 10 planes are USAirways. They rule here, and the airfares show it. I would love to see some low-fare carriers come to town. They need to stop eating off the corporate feed bag and start serving the general market!

As far as my next cruise, interestingly enough, I needed to fly to Miami to catch the Valor, and American was the best deal (since my FF miles are doing the hula.)

I fly a lot with my DH due to his business. His company books him out of Charlotte on USAirways and I book my flight with FF miles. I booked 1st class to San Francisco 3 weeks prior, Memphis 5 days before, lots of others.

I have never had a problem getting a USAir flight, using miles, out of Charlotte. USAir has a hub here, I can imagine it could be more difficult out of most other airports.

If you book a ticket with your miles and USAirways goes belly-up you have a much better chance of another airline honoring your ticket then if you let the miles sit there. If USAirways does go belly-up (no merger or buy-out) you will NEVER get your miles back, 5 or 500 years from now.

Hope this helps. We drive to Florida, it takes just a little longer (with having to be at the airport so early), we have our car and can carry as much luggage as we want. USAirways does weigh your luggage and charge you for overages, I know 'cause I did a lot of shopping in SF.:D

Part of the merger agreement is that USAir will have to park/retire 50 to 60 airplanes. As someone else said check with your insurance company about coverage for a company on their no-no list that have filed for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, both United and USAir are in bankruptcy. USAir is loosing alot of market share in Philly, Richmond, Indianpolis, Charlotte and alot of other cities, because of AirTran and Southwest.

When did/does Southwest start service out of Charlotte?

That was a big topic on one of the Frequent Flyer boards I visited. There is some recent law that carriers must accomodate ticketed passengers on a bankrupt carrier on a space-available basis, for 60 days I think it was.

Not clear was whether free award tickets are covered by that law. I think it is fair to say that other carriers would certainly work with you, for goodwill purposes.

This brings up an interesting cruise / USAirways tale. It was about two weeks after 9/11 that I had a Carnival cruise out of San Juan. For a while all air travel in the USA had ceased - talk about uncertainty!

Well we made it to the port OK, and while we were on the ship, USAirways changed the flight time to a much earlier departure.

We were with a large group. A few of the group went directly from the ship to the airport, hoping to catch an earlier flight. Most of us took a tour of Old San Juan, and took it easy at the beach until we needed to be at the airport.

Upon arrival, we noticed no one in line. The early-birds in our group had flown. The agent said the flight was long gone. We were shocked, but they made it sound like it was our fault for arriving late. I went to the Delta counter, which had a flight ready to leave for Atlanta, and let them know they had some prospects. They held the plane.

Delta and USAir and Carnival all debated about who would pay for this. We never found out who foot the bill (maybe Carnival dropped the ball.)

We all hurried onto the Delta plane and got home at a reasonable hour, and it did not cost us extra. That plane was almost empty anyway, as not many people were flying at that time. Nice to have a block of 20 seats all to yourself on an L 1011!

Charlotte has always had high fares because USAir controls the airport, so to speak. They have never had low cost carriers (LCCs) to compete. I don't know if SW serves CLT but they are making major enroads in Philly. Earlier this year AirTran did start service to and from Charlotte. Maybe the airport board finally realized just how bad USAir's problems were. Same situation at Richmond; no LCC competition till May or June of this year when AirTran began service. Reception has been so good at Indianapolis, AirTran has announced almost a doubling of flights. Legacy airlines are realizing that their future is with international flights.

I know the feeling about a major airline controlling the airports. I live right outside of Memphis and Northwest controls the Memphis airport. I only fly 5 or 6 times a year but I REFUSE to fly Northwest. It may cost me a few $$$$ more but I absolutely hate Northwest.

I read in the paper today where they are having financial difficulties and their mechanics will probably strike soon. Although I feel for the people who will lose their jobs if Northwest goes belly up-it can't come soon enough for me.

Ok-getting down off my soap box now

Southwest and Airtran have been a great addition to Philadelphia Airport. Some of the deals we have been getting are unbelievable. I paid $175 roundtrip nonstop to Las Vegas on Southwest and they currently are offering $49 each way fares to Florida. They have many options and don't limit seats to a few inconvenient flights. The best part is not having to wait hours for luggage as we had to on our last few flights on Usair. I still have enough FF points left for a free flight on Usair but may end up eating it for the convenience of using Southwest and Airtran...

Archived