Credit Card Preauthorisation

bee-ess

I understand that P&O issue a pre-authorisation against your CC each day to ringfence the money you have spent on board but what happens to these pre-authorisation when the final bill is presented to the CC Co.?

Are they superceded by the final bill or do you effectively need a credit limit equating to double what you have actually spent.

I've never really thought about this but my CC has taken a battering lately and not sure I have enough credit limit for double spends......LOL

I was caught out by this on my Costa cruise when I gave them my pre-paid Fairfx Anywhere card details (as it is the cheapest I have when paying in non-sterling). I then had to top it up again to actually get some cash! It took 3 weeks for the pre-authorisation to clear.

I understood the same would happen on P&O so gave them a card I never use, expecting to switch to another card before final bill. I did switch cards on the last night and expected the "hold" to be showing on the initial one but there was nothing from P&O.

Edited by canny_cruiser

:)

P & O do advise that you contact your CC company as soon as you can to clear the pre authorisation

David

Thanks David but I cannot clear the Pre-auth's until the final bill which implies needing enough CC limit to cover both all the pre-auth's and the final bill - i.e. double what I have spent. That is what I cannot get either P&O or the CC co. to confirm. What happens for example if I send £1000 on board but only have £1500 cc limit remaining ?

The worst possible issue will be that the CC Co. say no when P&O come to claim the final Bill.

You'll get a message in your Cabin, head to reception and a quick call will sort out any issues.

Best to warn your bank and say that you are expecting this and they are more than happy to help and not block any 'real' transactions.

On another note it's a good idea to tell your bank that you are going, even if you don't intend to use your card ashore.

That way you won't have issues if you find that perfic something or other in a shop and decide to pay for it with your card.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused regarding "Pre-Authorisation" on credit card.Is this a new thing,not had it happen before although have always used a Debit Card in lieu of CC.

Could someone please explain this to me as simple as possible.:confused:Will will joining the Aurora next month in Cape Town.

Thank you:)

I am a little confused regarding "Pre-Authorisation" on credit card.Is this a new thing,not had it happen before although have always used a Debit Card in lieu of CC.

Could someone please explain this to me as simple as possible.:confused:Will will joining the Aurora next month in Cape Town.

Thank you:)

It is not new and and most hotels do the same where they swipe your card when you check in, the same as cruise ships. It applies equally to debit cards as well as credit cards. Essentially it ring fences a sum of money on your card and thus ensures that the cruiseline/hotel can receive payment when the final bill is presented.

These pre-authorisations do not appear on your card statement so you would not normally be aware of them unless you hit your credit limit.

Brian

I've never told my bank when I've gone cruising and I've never had an authorisation problem. mind you, I do have quite a big credit limit on my card and normally pay off the full balance each month. it's also the card I use to pay cruise balances before I go so maybe that makes a difference.

I had a problem once even though the money was there they suspected fraud, I had to go to reception and they rang the bank and I had to explain I was on the ship. Only the once out of 19 cruises, it turned out it was a future cruise credit they thought was suspicious as that goes to a different cruise account.