Roll calls

1beachbum1

I will be sailing on the Sun 4/17 and notice there are very few people on the Roll call. The same seemed to be true of a number of others I checked when deciding on a cruise. This has never been the case with past trips on Ncl or Royal. Wondering: is this a trend, are we going to have the ship pretty much to ourselves, do folks not know the fun & benefits of a meet/greet? I've often found that connecting with shipmates has been enjoyable, helpful getting ideas for ports, even sharing costs for certain excursions, etc. Maybe others have not had the same experiences that DW and I have but if you haven't, we suggest others give it a try. Interested in the thought of CC members.

I will be sailing on the Sun 4/17 and notice there are very few people on the Roll call. The same seemed to be true of a number of others I checked when deciding on a cruise. This has never been the case with past trips on Ncl or Royal. Wondering: is this a trend, are we going to have the ship pretty much to ourselves, do folks not know the fun & benefits of a meet/greet? I've often found that connecting with shipmates has been enjoyable, helpful getting ideas for ports, even sharing costs for certain excursions, etc. Maybe others have not had the same experiences that DW and I have but if you haven't, we suggest others give it a try. Interested in the thought of CC members.

This is a mystery to me too .

Look at the roll call for NCL Dawn . Same day, Same cruise line .

I think Dawn has 150 people sign up for the M&G 2900 replies 44,734 views

I did a last minute Canada cruise with next to nothing for a roll-call and no M&G even though there was 900 people for the lattitude party .:confused:

I am seeing the same thing. This is my first NCL but my Roll Call is TERRIBLE. We leave in 24 days and nobody is participating at all. It seems like maybe NCL culture? I am not sure really. On both RCCL and Carnival I have gotten on each ship knowing 40+ people fairly well. On this trip I have not learned anything about anyone.

Is this just an NCL thing? Are people on NCL just not friendly? Hope things are better on board or it will be a pretty boring trip....

6&8

I believe Cruise Critic members represent MAYBE 1% of all cruise passengers, so I dont think there is any reason to worry too much.. :)

It varies widely from cruise to cruise. If you scan down through various weeks, the numbers go up and down.

Check out the numbers here

I believe Cruise Critic members represent MAYBE 1% of all cruise passengers, so I dont think there is any reason to worry too much.. :)

True, most cruisers are not CC members but a lot are as these board attest. You are also correct in that there is no reason to worry. We've been on NCL several times and as stated above passengers are very friendly. Our 9 day Gem last year was one of the most enjoyable ever. One of my thoughts is that many on CC read and/or post as a resource but don't participate in rolls or mixers for whatever reason. It's not always true, often they are missing something...slotpulls, pubcrawls, cabin crawls, meets with ship leadership and more. The cruiseline goes out of their way trying to make your holiday even more special. :) Just my thinking.

Could you be so lucky to have the ship to yourselves, Won't happen but would be an interesting voyage. Have noticed The Sun doesn't seem to have a large roll call at times.

My cruise is in May and I have checked in a couple of times in search of excursion ideas or a tour that interests us that is in need of more people. There was hardly any mention of the ports and just random chit chat. I have yet to post on it. I am not interested in a meet n greet and I find that as soon as you post the next thing someone asks is for you to join the meet n greet. I think many folks say that they will attend and just dont go because from what I have read the numbers of attendees is far less than the number confirmed. My sister loves the roll call board and rarely posts elsewhere on cc. Different strokes for different folks as they say.:)

Edited by Karysa

I really think it varies from cruise to cruise...for example, we're sailing on Carnival Glory in April...that roll call has 11 people so far. Our Disney cruise in August doesn't have a roll call, and NCL Pearl in December is already up to 48 people! You just never know! We just did NCL Sun this past December, and had a GREAT group of people...I think around 75 showed up for the meet and greet!