Jacksonville Holiday Inn Express to Port

tellmelies

So, on the Holiday Inn Express website, it states that the hotel is .5 mile away from the port. Being very active, I'm thinking my family can walk this? I'm having a hard time paying $70 to have the shuttle drive us half a mile up the road. To those who have stayed at this hotel, is walking doable?

Any other ideas as to where to stay or maybe a taxi service instead of a shuttle?

Thanks for your help!

Jaems

Could you walk it? Yes.

Does it make sense? Not to me.

We just stayed at the HIE--Blount Island and did the park & cruise pkg.

1/2 mi may be accurate...if you're a bird. From hotel to the actual terminal is probably double that. More important, you will have to cross a large and busy road before walking along a smaller road with no sidewalks. You will likely get a few strange looks, as you walk up to the security point at the entrance to the port area.

The shuttle was quick, timely efficient and convenient.

Assuming you will have a car, where do you plan to park? By the time you pay for a room somewhere and park your car somewhere else, the savings may not be worth the hassle. That was my analysis, anyway.

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. : ) I was just curious. We won't have a car, as we are flying in from Utah.

What about a regular taxi? Would that be cheaper?

I called HIE today and they offer a military discount for $83 a night, but then he told me that the shuttle is $50 for the first two people, then additional $10 per person. I guess I was just surprised at the cost for four people to go such a short distance.

Thanks for your reply and input. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. : ) I was just curious. We won't have a car, as we are flying in from Utah.

What about a regular taxi? Would that be cheaper?

I called HIE today and they offer a military discount for $83 a night, but then he told me that the shuttle is $50 for the first two people, then additional $10 per person. I guess I was just surprised at the cost for four people to go such a short distance.

Thanks for your reply and input. I appreciate it!

Since you are flying in why don't you stay at one of the hotels at the airport and either take their shuttle or take a taxi?

We have stayed twice at the Hampton Inn Airport which we liked very much. It is within walking distance to three restaurants so no need for a car. Very nice staff and very clean hotel......and free breakfast.....:D

Since you are flying in why don't you stay at one of the hotels at the airport and either take their shuttle or take a taxi?

We have stayed twice at the Hampton Inn Airport which we liked very much. It is within walking distance to three restaurants so no need for a car. Very nice staff and very clean hotel......and free breakfast.....:D

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked it up, and they offer a great military discount! Did you take a taxi? If so, how did that run you? There'll be four if us.

By

I sent that before I was finished. I was saying, by the way, does GTO have to do with the Columbus AFB airport? My husband was stationed there for awhile. He went through pilot training there.

I sent that before I was finished. I was saying, by the way, does GTO have to do with the Columbus AFB airport? My husband was stationed there for awhile. He went through pilot training there.

No....GTO is the kind of classic car we had and restored a few years back. We no longer have the car (now have a Corvette) but I didn't want to change my name and lose all my posts......LOL.

I don't fly so both times we stayed we had our own car. They do offer a shuttle to the port, but I'm not sure how much extra that might be. The port is going to be about 10 miles from the hotel so I'm sure they could also give you an idea on the cost of a taxi.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with the transportation aspect, but all the major hotels chains are right there together, so I am sure they will be well versed on the shuttles, etc.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Your plan to stay near airport and a get cab or shuttle is so much safer. The HIE is closer but not much else is there except a few filling stations. The main road is crowed with large truck traffic and the road to the cruise is narrow with no sidewalks as i remember from last year.

Check with the Hampton at airport you asked about in previous post I seem to remember someone saying they have a shuttle but its not complimentary. It's primary function is to the airport so maybe give them a call.

Hope you enjoy your time in Jax.