Freeport

cheezwhiz

Do not get off the ship..........the only thing to do in freeport is spend 25 minutes each way and go to the beach with a lot of seaweed. Skip the port and stay on the ship and enjoy the pool.

You can run into a beach with seaweed in full bloom anywhere. It's temporary and just because Freeport had it when you were there does not mean it's like that all the time, which it's NOT.

My recommendation for Freeport is to take a taxi to the Our Lucaya resort and use the public beaches behind the hotel. The Port Lucaya marketplace has shopping and restaurants across the street from the hotel.

BobK/Orlando

When we were on the Norwegian Dawn last year, we made an unscheduled stop at Freeport. The dock area was the pits, however, nothing ventured! Got a taxi (minibus) to a beach near Port Lucaya market place, which was wonderful, booked a return trip with the same taxi driver. Beach was immaculate, water very clear. Could have used hotel facilities, but decided not to. There were a few ships in port that day, seems like most of the passengers were on this beach, but it did not seem crowded. Paid for the whole trip on the return. Felt sorry for those that did not leave the ship, we had a great day.

• 4 weeks later...

Beach was nice but we got ripped off by a taxi driver on the way back (insisted on $30 vs. $20 for the 4 of us, telling us if we didn't take him, we were gonna miss the ship and that the $20 was a group rate) and then, after going to Rum Runners to get a coconut drink (and asking first if they would crack it open afterwards and their reply was yes) so my kids could have fresh coconut for the first time (they're 16 and 18), the bartender told our waiter that he was too busy to crack it open. That was a rip off, too. So...next time I go there, I will definitely stay on the ship.

On Sundays, most stuff is closed and there is no music at Count Basie Square. I was very disappointed at the treatment we got and wish I had listened to the people who said not to get off there. I thought they were just being persnickety but they were right...

So, you've got different opinions here. Do what you want and find out for yourself, and report back to us here and let us know what your experience was.

• 2 weeks later...

We did got off the ship and are glad we did! We paid $5pp for a taxi ride to Port Lucaya. We walked around the straw market for awhile (on Sunday 9-4) and found the people to be very nice and friendly and not at all pushy!

We then crossed the street to go to the beach. It was very pretty, with nice resorts. We walked the beach and did not see any seaweed, just beautiful clear water. :)

Archived