How 'last minute' can you book a cruise?

emandjennsmom

I'm wondering how close to sailing can you book a cruise. We are tossing around a last minute idea.

If you have any personal last minute booking experiences, please share. :)

You can book the morning of the cruise by calling carnivals toll-free number.

You just have to hope they have availability.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

You can book the morning of the cruise by calling carnivals toll-free number.

You just have to hope they have availability.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Does that result in an above average savings? Would love to hear some people chime in w/what kind of deals they were able to score in this manner.

We booked 20 hours from sail in the middle of a blizzard in Baltimore. We had to call in because they had a last minute cancellation and it was sold-out online. There was one balcony cabin for three and it was the most expensive cruise we've booked to date. For $700pp we got a regular balcony (8B) on the fifth deck, but we also escaped 3 feet of snow and work for the week.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I'm wondering how close to sailing can you book a cruise. We are tossing around a last minute idea.

If you have any personal last minute booking experiences, please share. :)

I booked a cruise on a Saturday when it left on Monday on Royal Caribbean, I don't think there's a company-wide policy that changes from line-to-line just whatever the law says is the limit before they have to submit the passenger manifest.

The hardest part of booking so quickly was the airfare, it was February, and direct flights so last minute were exorbitant, and there was A LOT of stress when it came to picking flights (ended up on Delta, flying from Philadelphia to Detroit, and Detroit to Fort Lauderdale). It was the very first flight out of Philly, and even then with the time it took to de-ice it was a rush rush rush through Detroit (I really don't remember it being THAT big!!!) to catch the connecting flight; and then another trip through the de-icer for that leg as well which added another 45 minutes or so. We got to FLL by 10:30/11 and it was an easy taxi to the port, and we met my parents and sister onboard by lunch time (we all had booked it extremely, extremely late).

There's also the question of rooms available.. I literally booked the last room (it was still a pretty good rate considering it was RCCL). My parents, other sister and brother in law had booked a cruise for March this past December, and I was waiting to jump onboard at the last minute, but when it looked like it was starting to really sell some rooms I decided to just book it, that any discount I may get wasn't worth waiting for in case there were no rooms left. Even then, I booked it two weeks ago, and we're about a month and a few days until sailing. Much less stressful.

We booked at 10am on the morning of departure

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same for me. Called at 10:00. Then called my ex-wife to see if she could make it. She couldn't. I then called back around 11:00 booked the cruise, drove to the port (45 minutes).

Traditionally, I've always booked my cruise 3-5 days before the cruise anyway. Needed to know when there was an opportunity to be away from my business and then I'd pull the trigger.:)

Does that result in an above average savings? Would love to hear some people chime in w/what kind of deals they were able to score in this manner.

Booked a 3 day on the Elation out of San Diego about 20 hours before the cruise for $99 per person. First 3 day cruise I have ever taken. Took my son and we had a ball. :D