questions about dining

halehana

newbie here with a few questions:

I see on the dailies someone posted that the hours of the restaurants all say something like "5:30 to close". What does that mean? What time do the restaurants (and bars) actually close?

On the first day of the cruise, the daily shows restaurants open 11:30 to 3:00, a poolside bbq from 3:45 to close, and then dinner from 5:30 to close. I've heard that there is surf and turf the first night. Three (potential) meals in less than 10 hours is a lot of food! What kind of food is served at the bbq? Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken? If so, I will probably save my appetite for dinner.

I'd also like to know about ordering room service: is there a menu in your room with selections to choose from, like in a hotel? Or can you get anything you want from any restaurant on board? Will room service bring a cocktail? Are you supposed to tip the room service people, or is that included in the daily service charge?

Two final questions about cocktails: what time does the morning cocktail special end? Can I buy a few at this lower price and put them in my fridge for later?

Thanks!

Room service is it's own limited menu. It won't get any and everything from a restaurant.

They are expecting a tip when they deliver room service. It won't be like a New York delivery guy standing there with a hand outstretched. Room service is voluntary extra work for them and they are looking to be tipped.

The Sailaway BBQ is the usual grilled items plus some side dishes.

Lunch on embarkation is the MDR or the hog trough.

There is no rule requiring anyone to eat simply because food is there.

Sailaway is a bit of a party atmosphere.

Surf and turf depends on what ship you will be on. For example if you are on the Gem they do surf and turf then. We usually ask them to keep the steak and bring us two lobster tails. If you are on the Breakaway it is different. The do the lobster at the buffet.

You may buy as many specials as you like and store them for later. If you ask your room steward to empty the mini-bar fridge, they will!

If you are in a full suite you may order room service from pretty much any of the restaurants during meal times. It's a great perk. Otherwise, as was stated, there is a room service menu.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the "close" time can vary from ship to ship and restaurant to restaurant and day to day, depending on how busy they are.

Have a great cruise!