Swimming with Dolphins in Nassau

csk

Going on a short cruise with my Daughter on the Majesty, she wants to swim with dolphins, which is better the Blue Lagoon one or the one with the Atlantis in Nassau, cant figure out how to find reviews on these excursions, thanks

I went to Blue Lagoon Island for the beach day. I saw the area where people were with the Dolphins and Sea Lions. I didn't honestly look like they were swimming with them - more of a shallow water interaction. I don't know if this has changed in the last 15 months since I was there though or this is what you were looking for. The group seemed very large but again, I don't know what the 'experience' is sold as!

Blue Lagoon Island is gorgeous though and was not too crowded when we were there.

Jo :)

We swam with the Dolphins at Blue Lagoon about three years ago. It was a once in a lifetime experience. At the time there were two excursion selections, swim or 'wade'. Unless you are deathly afraid of water choose swimming. You wear a life jacket that keeps you easily afloat as they do not want you treading water as it could aggravates the dolphins.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

We did the Blue Lagoon last year and loved it. I think it is one of my favorites. They give you life jackets and wet suits to wear which in my opinion was much needed. The water is really quite cold and you do not want to pay all that money and not want to get in. We had a younger (20's) woman in our group that was so cold she did not want to get in. You get to touch them and kiss them and "dance" with them. The last thing is they have 2 and push you in the water on the bottoms of your feet. It was a blast. I am sure your daughter would love it.

I agree with the previous post. We swam with the Dolphins at Blue Lagoon. For the difference in cost, definitely do the "swim" not the "interaction". We were really lucky that there were only the 2 of us in our group. It was incredible!

On that note, I did some research at the time between Atlantis and Blue Lagoon. Beside the fact BL has a nice beach day included, what sold me on them is that they are a dolphin rescue and seem to be more concerned about taking care of the dolphins. The swim/interactions are a by product of their purpose. The group that runs the Atlantis outfit have some questionable practices of obtaining the dolphins. I'm sure their trainers are good, but I really enjoyed the trainers at Blue Lagoon.

From an experience perspective, I'm sure it is about the same between the two. I don't know it could have been any better at Atlantis.

We have a 3 and a 2 year old traveling with us, are they allowed to do the dolphin interaction as we'll? Has anyone done this with toddlers? We will have grandparents with us so if the babies freak out they can always get out and go over to the beach. Thanks.

We have a 3 and a 2 year old traveling with us, are they allowed to do the dolphin interaction as we'll? Has anyone done this with toddlers? We will have grandparents with us so if the babies freak out they can always get out and go over to the beach. Thanks.

From the restrictions listed on the Blue Lagoon website for the Dolphin Swim:

For your safety, guests age 5 or younger are not allowed in the swim program & may observe for free if attended on the dock by a responsible parent or guardian with an observer ticket

The restrictions for the "encounter":

Guests age 3 or younger participate for free, if accompanied by a responsible paying adult, with a ticket for the encounter. Parent or guardian must be at least 18 years of age.

Guests ages 4 through 12 may participate at full price & must be accompanied by a responsible, paying adult with a ticket for the encounter

http://swimwithdolphinsbahamas.com/nassau-bahamas-dolphin-programs/

or

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-swimwithdolphinsrules.php

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-closeencounterrules.php

Thanks everyone for your replies, Blue Lagoon it is, next question, did you book with ship or on your own

I emailed them directly because I had some questions and this was their reply...

"Due to the fact that our spaces have been allotted to your cruise line you will have to refer to them for the Blue Lagoon Dohphin Swim excursion. Best wishes and have a great day!"

This was for a RCI cruise.

From the restrictions listed on the Blue Lagoon website for the Dolphin Swim:

For your safety, guests age 5 or younger are not allowed in the swim program & may observe for free if attended on the dock by a responsible parent or guardian with an observer ticket

The restrictions for the "encounter":

Guests age 3 or younger participate for free, if accompanied by a responsible paying adult, with a ticket for the encounter. Parent or guardian must be at least 18 years of age.

Guests ages 4 through 12 may participate at full price & must be accompanied by a responsible, paying adult with a ticket for the encounter

http://swimwithdolphinsbahamas.com/nassau-bahamas-dolphin-programs/

or

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-swimwithdolphinsrules.php

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/programs-closeencounterrules.php

Thank you. I eventually found that info, but then when I tried to reserve the trip through RCI, their website said ages 4+. If anyone has taken a toddler on this encounter, I'd love to hear how the toddler did. From reading reviews online it seems like there is a lot of waiting around for your turn, which might not sit well with the toddlers in our group.

I emailed them directly because I had some questions and this was their reply...

"Due to the fact that our spaces have been allotted to your cruise line you will have to refer to them for the Blue Lagoon Dohphin Swim excursion. Best wishes and have a great day!"

This was for a RCI cruise.

I was on a cruise but booked direct. I didn't tell them I was on a cruise because I wanted to go earlier than the cruise slots. It is a little risky, but depending on when your ship docks, if you can get to the Paradise Island ferry for the early ferry over (8:30am) then just go up to their desk and pay. We were done with our excursion by the time the ferry full of everyone from the ships showed up.

I think these animal encounters are extremely cruel. They are captured away from their family and treated as slaves to haul around tourists.

I was researching this tonight actually and looking at Cruise Critic. I had originally wanted to go to Blue Lagoon in March, because I thought they were better than the others. They aren't, their slave animals just have nicer quarters.

I think these animal encounters are extremely cruel. They are captured away from their family and treated as slaves to haul around tourists.

I was researching this tonight actually and looking at Cruise Critic. I had originally wanted to go to Blue Lagoon in March, because I thought they were better than the others. They aren't, their slave animals just have nicer quarters.

You should read the histories of these animals. They are not captured in the wild. Most are rescued or born there and live with their families.

I did read the histories. Most were captured. Just because they were born into it doesn't make it any better to me. That might be even worse in some ways. Creepy actually. I know the trainers think they love the animals and that's enough, but I'm just imagining if the same thing happened to me. I'm not an activist or a vegetarian, just keeping myself aware.

• 2 weeks later...