Carnival's Xunantunich (Belize) excursion

mnsweeps

Yes we have done it and it does go through Belize City, but it's not the most picturesque of towns. You basically traverse almost the entire country to get to the ruins, they are literally almost on the border with Guatamala and the armed guards are walking around to prove it. It's a little boring to get there about 2 hours each way, but still definitely worth it. You can still climb on the ruins to the top of the pyramid, and many sites in Mexico won't let you do that anymore. Do it while you still have the chance.

Has anyone taken this tour? We are really interested in this and wanted to know if the route to Xunantunich takes you through Belize City? We would love to take pictures of Belize city on the way.

We did. In one word-AMAZING!

Don't remember if we went through Belize City. The bus ride was two hours, in both directions, and we never stopped until we got to the ruins. Our two tour guides talked about everything Belize on the way. We learned so much. (It was so much fun but so exhausting that everyone slept on the way back.)

Good thing we booked the excursion through Carnival, which is something we hardly ever do. Our bus was late getting back to the tender port, by almost an hour. The ship waited for us.

Happy to answer any questions.

Edited by stargate fan

Thanks folks. I went ahead and booked for 5 of us through Carnival. Agree that since its a long drive its better to get the excursion through Carnival. I love watching the entire country from the bus all the way to Guatemalan border :-)

We did the excursion in 2012 and it was "ok".

Lunch at "Hode's Place" was delicious and something we still talk about.

The ruins were breathtaking. We climbed to the very top..

And coming down was rough.

They aren't normal steps. They are very gapped

The thing about the drive for us was very sad.

There was a huge wild fire that had broken out the day before we had gotten there and a lot of the land close to the ruins were on fire.

The guide told us that because it's such a poor country, resources are limited and they just have to let the fires burn.

We watched people standing outside their homes with fire a few feet away.

We also saw some houses on fire.

It was very sad.

We were asked to not take pictures of the fire (out of respect) but I did manage to get one picture..

es0uw3.jpg

The ruin..

2eapjl5.jpg

From the top..

kork4.jpg

Hode's Place Lunch (Amazing..)

21ccxhe.jpg

If You're A Beer Drinker, Try The Belikin..

316p56a.jpg

Belize City is definitely the least scenic part of the ride out to Xuantunich. The countryside is beautiful and the ruins were amazing, especially the view into Guatemala from the top of the pyramid. I definitely would recommend this excursion if you like Mayan Ruins. I liked it much better than Chichen Itza. The lunch we had was very good. It is a very long day. Make sure you wear comfortable, closed toed shoes or sneakers and just take a fanny pack or small cross body bag. You will need both hands free for the climb up and down.

Belize City is definitely the least scenic part of the ride out to Xuantunich. The countryside is beautiful and the ruins were amazing, especially the view into Guatemala from the top of the pyramid. I definitely would recommend this excursion if you like Mayan Ruins. I liked it much better than Chichen Itza. The lunch we had was very good. It is a very long day. Make sure you wear comfortable, closed toed shoes or sneakers and just take a fanny pack or small cross body bag. You will need both hands free for the climb up and down.

Hi Deb,

what other tour ( not Mayan Ruins ) would you suggest for Belize City ?

We will be there in dec.

One more thing if you do not mind - I read one of your other posts about stressed induced vasomotor rhinitis ...... I know someone with the same symptoms ...... could you share the name of the Rx medications please.

I hope the OP will forgive me for asking this on this thread.

Thank you

We took this excursion and will echo what some of the others have said, long ride, not much to look at along the way but absolutely incredible once you arrive. As for climbing to the top, I am not a fan of heights and a couple spots were pretty intense (for me) a 9 year old as long as they take their time and are careful should be able to make the climb.

Definitely take the Carnival cruise to the ruins. We were also 45 minutes late getting back to the port, the ship probably wouldnt have waited if it wasn't a Carnival excursion.

We did this tour last year as well. I was really excited as I have ALWAYS wanted to see some ruins. We had an amazing tour guide who was very knowledgeable. Long ride to the ruins, but it was well worth the ride. We were able to hike to the top and it was a bit slippery so wear tennis shoes but it was awesome. We stopped for lunch after and it was pretty good. There were some merchants selling trinkets there and you can buy some of the food items (sauces etc). We had a really good time.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Altan Ha (I know I probably spelled that incorrectly), and we really enjoyed that. It is not nearly as far away, but a great "intro" into Mayan ruins. There are a few different ones there that you can climb up -- some easier than others. It is fascinating, and only about 20 minutes (maybe slightly more) instead of 2 hours.

We just did this on our dream cruise It was really a great tour remember carnival price matches too and there is a web site that offers same tour 15 pp less.

Can you please give me link to the competitor website? I tried twice to price match and it was declined saying the competitor had the tour 30 minutes less.

Other who say the tour is too long - I am honestly taking this tour cos its long and it drives you from the East coast of Belize to the Western border with Guatemala. Apart from just seeing these ruins, I get to see the real Belize and that I think is worth the money.

This had been the only Carnival excursion i've booked due to long distance. It was an amazing day and has been one of my favorite all-time excursions ever! The ruins are just amazing, the stop for lunch great....try the hot sauces and some of the sweet hot sauce on the rice.".soooooo goood!

image.jpg.363a1cf1b5f1ead603553c33ff131173.jpg

Edited by azrayne

We did it in 2012, it was awesome, but a very long day. Like a PP said, the guides talked about Belize the way there, and everyone slept on the way back.

If the steps are too much, you can go up some of the way, just up the hill really. The tours guides are awesome, gave lots of great information and stopped a couple times going up. But if you can make it, go to the top. The view is amazing. Lunch was really good too. DH and I still reminisce about that!

We did this in 2009. (Spent Noon of Inauguration Day at the top of a Mayan Pyramid!)

Howler Monkeys.

Mayan Pyramid that you can climb.

Decent lunch of Chicken that was probably running around that morning. (Lean and not fatty like American Farmed Chicken)

Introduction to Marie Sharp's Habanero Hot Sauce at Lunch. We have learned to use hot sauce on chicken. All they had was Marie's (all five levels of heat) Loved it and is basically all I use now. Picked up a supply last month on our Glory Cruise.

Take the excursion. You will remember it and wonder why other excursions are not as interesting.

I did this tour in 2011 with my daughters. It was a 2 hour bus ride there and back, but it's a truly amazing tour. DEFINITELY do this tour with the ship!! We didn't get back until well after the last tender but because we were with the Carnival tour, the ship waited for us.

When I told DH we climbed the ruins he was disappointed and wants to do the Exotic Western in order to get back to Belize so he could do this tour, too.

We did the one in Belize that included a river tour on the way to the ruins (Altan Ha?) and it was the favorite excursion for everyone in my family (6 of us)! Saw all kinds of wildlife on the river tour, great lunch at the Black Orchid Resort along the way, and got to climb the ruins.