Help With Tour

AuntB

My husband and I will be in Limon, Costa Rica February 7, 2006 via the Coral Princess. We want to take the Tortuguero Canal tour. After reading a lot of the reviews on this board several private tour guides have been praised. My husband is not too keen on taking a private tour guide and wants to take this tour through Princess. Is the tour through Princess as good as through a private tour guide? I know through Princess it will cost more, but that would be ok as long as it is the same tour. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I am going October 15, 2005 and we have booked it through Princess because my soon to be husband feels the same way as yours. So I will let you know how it was when we get back. I also posted this question about the tour from Princess and everyone that has replied said it was the best tour they ever took and well worth the money. :)

Not long now!!! I can't wait!!!

If there is any way to talk your husband into a day with Oscar Taylor -- DO IT! It was one of best days crusing.

We had friends that took the tour through the ship of the canals -- they drove to the canal -- go in a boat -- went up and back the canal -- got out of boat -- drove back to ship. What a disappointment.

With Oscar you get an awesome experience -- sloths, monkeys, banana planation, lunch at a great restaurant, trip to a super market (if you want for coffee) and lots of local culture. Further below on this board you will find a detailed desciption of our day with Oscar. Maybe you could print it out and let him read it -- If he has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

Of course everyone is different but I think part of the fun of traveling is experiencing new things.

FYI -- some of our best days cruising have been with private guides -- Peter Taylor, Oscar & Pete, folks in St. Lucia and St. Kitts.

AuntB-

We're also going to be on the Coral at the end of October. Princess has two tours you may be interested in: "Jungle River Eco-Adventure" which is the boat ride at the Tortuguero canals at $79 pp. or the "Countryside, Eco-Cruise & Banana Plantation" tour which includes a 45 min. open-air train ride through the tropical forest, the Tortuguero canal boat ride and a stop at the Dole banana plantation at $99 pp.

We've booked Charlie Soto for the Tortuguero canal tour which in addition to the boat ride on the canal also includes: banana plantation, cocoa plantation, bamboo factory, a stop for a Costa Rican lunch, and the animal preserve where you get to see sloths and howler monkeys and other animals, along with a stops for photos and for purchasing coffee/souveniers. It also includes soda, water or beer during the day and its $48 pp.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll enjoy your day in Costa Rica!

Dee

• 3 weeks later...

Archived