Going solo - Carnival or NCL

darkauburnnotred

I just found out that my fiance will not be able to go on a cruise, but he gave me permission to go by myself. (As long as I am a good girl. ;)) I am on a budget but want to get the best deal possible. I am seriously considering the Norwegian Getaway's studio cabin. Carnival has a lot of very cheap cruises with almost no single supplement. In the past, my TA has warned against Carnival due to its frat-boyish atmosphere. She said that you get what you pay for with them. Since I am on my own, I am looking for a lot of entertainment.

Which line do you think would be the best for a solo cruiser for the first time? I'm very excited!

I did my first solo cruise, also first cruise in general, on Carnival. I have nothing but great things to say about it. Your TA was partially right. Carnival used to be a frat boy line, but that was 20 years ago. Nowadays, it's calmed down quite a bit, although nowhere near the level of Holland America, and their 3- and 4-day cruises still have a good party atmosphere and a young crowd. Carnival also has some organized activities where people can meet each other, and making friends is a breeze (no pun intended :)). I know I had a blast.

I read good things about Norwegian too, but it has something that puts me off. There is no assigned seating at dinner. You should be perfectly fine on Getaway, because it has a designated host that seats solos together in the MDR and organizes icebreaker games. On their other ships, you're at a disadvantage as a solo: you either have to eat dinner by yourself or hope that there'll be others willing to share a table. Norwegian's Freestyle Dining concept was developed specifically to suit the needs of couples and families.

Both of my reviews (in signature) are solo cruises. Perhaps you'll find them useful.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I've never been on Carnival, but I suppose a lot comes down to your dining preferences:

If you want fixed time, assigned seating, "traditional" dining, stick with Carnival.

But if you want a no hassle opportunity to dine by yourself, NCL should be your choice.

Sure, both lines provide some dining alternatives, but this distinction is the basic framework.

I've gone solo on Carnival this past July and I'm going solo again next month. It was fantastic! Each night I would start out at the same bar and meet a ton of great people. There were a few other solo travelers who I meet as well. I've never done NCL but a friend has done it solo and he enjoyed it very much. I've always enjoyed Carnival and this will be my 7th cruise with them.

I always enjoyed NCL but I don't need any organized icebreaker games and I enjoy eating by myself. For most parts the NCL staff is used to solos although sometimes you get those "you don't have friends that can go on a cruise with you?" questions. I never felt they were meant as negative as some may receive them.

I would make the decision only based on the ship, itinerary and price.

I just found out that my fiance will not be able to go on a cruise, but he gave me permission to go by myself. (As long as I am a good girl. ;)) I am on a budget but want to get the best deal possible. I am seriously considering the Norwegian Getaway's studio cabin. Carnival has a lot of very cheap cruises with almost no single supplement. In the past, my TA has warned against Carnival due to its frat-boyish atmosphere. She said that you get what you pay for with them. Since I am on my own, I am looking for a lot of entertainment.

Which line do you think would be the best for a solo cruiser for the first time? I'm very excited!

I have cruised both NCL and Carnival solo but I haven't been on the NCL ships with dedicated solo cabins - so I can't speak to how that changes the NCL dynamic.

I haven't seen any more of less "fratboy atmosphere" with either line - I think it depends more on the time of year. Spring break is going to give you kids and college students on either line.

NCL ships are prettier - Carnival ships tend to look rather Vegasy. Carnival cabins are bigger - particularly compared to the NCL studio rooms.

I think the food is fine on both....though I give the edge to Carnival in terms of offering a wider range of choices at lunch. Both lines have Vegas style shows, dance clubs, musical acts performing in various lounges, and at least some comedy happening.

My personal preference is Carnival because of the bigger cabins, the comedy club, the adult serenity lounging area, and set dining time options.

I have heard many good things about the NCL megaships, particularly the solo lounges so I don't think there's a wrong decision.

The only thing I'd caution you about if this is your first time is that you might find the sheer size and number of passengers to be a bit overwhelming. I prefer a smaller ship because its easier to get around and its easier to meet other passengers because you run across the same folks more frequently.

Em

Check out the solo thread under special interest. You'll see lots on the NCL epic, breakaway and getaway. I've used the Epic studios twice and loved them. I'm booked on the Getaway in April.

A previous poster had it right....normally freestyle would not appeal to me, but by adding the studio lounge as a gathering place at 5:30 and a dedicated solo cruise director (whom I've never experienced offering ice breakers), you can end up fining with other solos, young and old, every night if you so choose.

I traveled on the Epic for the first time in April, in a studio. The Solo lounge is a great benefit of booking a studio. There is usually a board for signups for dinners. You can join a group for dinner every night, or not.

On my cruise, I stayed up 3x all night working on puzzles that are available. Got a lot of comments from others.

There is a bar open in the evening. There are snacks available all day in the lounge.

It is a great place.

I have done almost 10 solos on Carnival, and it is good, but I really enjoyed the solo lounge.

Also depends on what type of cabin you are looking for.

I am going solo on my next cruise and REALLY wanted a balcony room. The NCL cabins are nice studio cabins but they are inside.

I was able to find a balcony room on the Carnival Glory for the same price (no single supplement added).