Wine Question

MAF23

I understand that I can bring up to 2 bottles of wine per cabin and that there is a corking fee. My friends brought a few bottles on the last cruise and I saw how security logged the bottles and marked them with a sticker. Once they were brought to dinner, the waiter charged the fees, etc. My questions is, if I consume my bottle of wine in my cabin, how does NCL know to charge me? Not trying to skip passed paying a fee, just wondering how they know.

You can bring as many bottles of wine on board as you want ~ no limit. After you pass through security there will be a table to go to and pay the corkage fee there~ it will go on your room account.

Yep, NCL is great with this. You pay $15 per 750ml bottle of wine, as many as you want. They put a sticker on your bottles and charge your account. If you don't drink all your bottles you can go to guest services on the last night and get an adjustment to your account for the bottles you did not drink.:D

I understand that I can bring up to 2 bottles of wine per cabin and that there is a corking fee. My friends brought a few bottles on the last cruise and I saw how security logged the bottles and marked them with a sticker. Once they were brought to dinner, the waiter charged the fees, etc. My questions is, if I consume my bottle of wine in my cabin, how does NCL know to charge me? Not trying to skip passed paying a fee, just wondering how they know.

Apparently, your friends were on a different ship.

You pay the fee when you board. Does not matter where you drink it, or if it has a cork.

And the advice about going back to get your $15 returned is wrong. You are supposed to take any extra bottles to cabin #9235. My wife will take it from you and give you a good night kiss. It would be a cold day in hell that we still had wine left over.

Edited by garycarla

And the advice about going back to get your $15 returned is wrong. You are supposed to take any extra bottles to cabin #9235. My wife will take it from you and give you a good night kiss. It would be a cold day in hell that we still had wine left over.

lmao~ :D

and the advice about going back to get your $15 returned is wrong. You are supposed to take any extra bottles to cabin #9235. My wife will take it from you and give you a good night kiss. It would be a cold day in hell that we still had wine left over.

haha! :D

Edited by russianmom

I'm afraid garycarla that you owe me a glass of wine from the extra bottles you may accrue in your cabin........I just splurted mine all over this laptop.......thank-you!! ;)

PS.......I totally agree with the cold day in hell bit.....never knew left-over wine existed! :)

Apparently, your friends were on a different ship.

You pay the fee when you board. Does not matter where you drink it, or if it has a cork.

Too funny!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can I ask why?

The waiter or bartender gets a gratuity (out of the corkage fee) when he turns in the sticker - his gratuity for "serving" the wine (instead of getting a gratuity automatically charged when you purchase a bottle of wine on board). So, it's nice to give that gratuity (by way of the sticker) to your favorite bartender or waiter, better than letting the gratuity go to waste...

I think I know how the OP got confused. The corkage fee is charged upon boarding, when the sticker is applied, but shows up on your bill as a charge from the main dining room. I can't tell you how many times I have seen those charges and said "hey! I never even went to the main dining room!" Until I figure it out. It gets me every time..

So, even though it looks like you are charged when the waiter removes the sticker, you are actually charged when the sticker is placed ON the bottle, and it just so happens that the charge shows up as from the dining room.... And when the waiter REMOVES the sticker, he is keeping it to claim the gratuity included in the corkage fee..

Robin

The waiter or bartender gets a gratuity (out of the corkage fee) when he turns in the sticker - his gratuity for "serving" the wine (instead of getting a gratuity automatically charged when you purchase a bottle of wine on board). So, it's nice to give that gratuity (by way of the sticker) to your favorite bartender or waiter, better than letting the gratuity go to waste...

Robin

Great bit of info Robin~ I did not know this! Thank you

And if I put the wine in my suit case and take it in the room? How can they know it?

Haha haven't you heard of the naughty room ??

They x-ray, scan, sniff, search, etc... every bag.

If you try to bring it on "illegally" you will be called to a room to pick-up your things, explain yourself and pay the fee..just declare it, put the sticker on and enjoy the cruise !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just to be precise on the procedure incase you are wondering...

You bring the "goods" in a carry-on, put it in x-ray machine at security check point. Then the security guy tells you you have to go to the "corkage" table before the check-in line. You open your luggage, tell him how many and you put the stickers on each bottle, pack every thing and proceed to check-in. Every cruise I did...ok only 5 all out of NYC...the Ncl employee asked me " ...euhh you know there is a corkage fee...right..? " ...we usually bring 5 or 6 champagne onboard. I don not think the saving on "regular" wine is worth it but on champagne you save a minimum of 50$ per bottle :)

Have fun !

And if I put the wine in my suit case and take it in the room? How can they know it?

I am ROFLMAO.

Out of total respect for a new poster of course.

If it was that easy, then everyone would just put it in their suitcase, right? I see someone else explained it to you.

So if I bring wine and want to drink it in my room, once I have followed the correct procedure (pay the fee and get the sticker), the room attendant will bring wine glasses and open the bottle for me? Just want to make sure I have this right.

So if I bring wine and want to drink it in my room, once I have followed the correct procedure (pay the fee and get the sticker), the room attendant will bring wine glasses and open the bottle for me? Just want to make sure I have this right.

Nope...

In your room you will have wine glasses and ice bucket refilled twice a day anyways, corkage fee or not...and you will have to open the bottle yourself.

Everywhere, except the buffet, you will have the bottle opened for you...but that is just service...nothing to do with corkage fee.

We had a few champagne bottle on our last Gem cruise and Jim ( best bartender ever ) stepped out of his bar and opened our bottles for us, gave us ice bucket and chilled glasses.... :)

Have a great cruise !

Please forgive me for sounding like a complete idiot, but...will the attendant at least bring me a corkscrew upon request, or is it also in the room with the glasses and ice ? Do I need to pack one in my luggage?

Corkscrew is in the room and is complimentary...at least I think :) I have a few here at home :) Your room STEWARD ;) will have it on a tray with the glasses and ice bucket in the room.

All personnel on the ship has taken a pledge to make your vacation the best you ever had...if you need something just ask...cruising is the best vacation you could ask for :)

If you have any question regarding Ncl just fire away...we are ( most of us ;) ) pleasant people.

Welcome to the Ncl community...you will never go back to ordinary cruising....this is freestyle :)

...do whatever, whenever.....

This is why I LOVE Ncl !!

Brilliant ... funniest thing I've read all day ... thanks for the laugh.